Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3.0 upgrade for basic AP owners now free?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, that's too bad. I was thinking the difference between having to pay for the chip and not having to pay might be whether you had AP or EAP.

Is his car silver metallic? Maybe, silver metallic models get the chip upgrade for free?
😆😆 Actually one of the reasons why I kept my car is because it now stands out as a unique color - I love the silver metallic.

Update, going in Thursday for a new cabin filter and the HW3.0 computer, estimate $58.00 for the cabin filter and $0.00 for the computer. Will post back after Thursday.
I paid $1000 for the FSD computer upgrade on 09/2021. I am very happy with upgrade, but wish it would have been free. I have a 2018 Model 3 Mid-Range.
Upgrading from basic AP or EAP?

So let's suppose for a moment that Elon is covertly nixing the $1K cost to upgrade, why would he do this, what do we not know?
They just raised the price for FSD to $15k (I checked they didn't raise EAP though, it's still at $6k). It's possible they are preparing for a price raise of FSD subscription (which was not raised with previous price increases), and then they would bundle the install into it to make it more attractive.

One other thing to consider is if you go from HW2.5 to 3, you’ll be moved over to Tesla Vision (no more radar) with the latest software update (2022.24.6). Maybe they are doing the HW upgrade for free to get more of the fleet on Tesla Vision?
Is this true? I know that software version has been rolling out, but have not seen confirmation that only cars with HW 3 are getting moved to Vision. Have there been HW 2.5 cars updated to the same new software and specifically confirmed they did NOT move to vision?

Reactions: Vol16
Is this true? I know that software version has been rolling out, but have not seen confirmation that only cars with HW 3 are getting moved to Vision. Have there been HW 2.5 cars updated to the same new software and specifically confirmed they did NOT move to vision?

FWIW Green mentioned that among those he knew had been moved to teslavision without FSDBeta were all vehicles that had otherwise had some kind of problems with their radar-- suggesting Tesla was doing this rather than fixing the radar. But he admits he's using a small sample size.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Multiple folks in this thread with 2.5 report not getting Tesla Vision (starting on page 4):

Last edited:
They just raised the price for FSD to $15k (I checked they didn't raise EAP though, it's still at $6k). It's possible they are preparing for a price raise of FSD subscription (which was not raised with previous price increases), and then they would bundle the install into it to make it more attractive.
And the price of FSD for EAP owners went to $9k, which makes sense if EAP is still $6k.

Where before the subscription would be $199 after $1000 chip upgrade, the breakeven for Tesla would be 55 months. Now, if the chip is free, then the breakeven becomes 75 months before Tesla recoups $15k. If they were to raise the price of subscription to say, $249, then breakeven is in 60 months.

For EAP owners, I'm still showing the same $1000 upgrade and $99 a month. The old breakeven took 50 months. Now, it would be 80 months, but if they were to raise the price of subscription to $149, then 54 months, assuming the chip upgrade still costs $1000, and not zero.

So, great for existing owners if the chip upgrade is free and subscription pricing doesn't change. However, I haven't gotten the impression that Elon is ever sentimental about existing owners, so I'm just waiting for them to raise the price of subscription.
No, just the computer swap. 2.5 to 3.0
Ha, I meant, are you on AP or EAP. Just trying to understand if the price to upgrade difference is down to whether the car has AP or EAP.

Multiple folks in this thread with 2.5 report not getting Tesla Vision (starting on page 4):

AFAIK HW2.5 isn't capable of the needed framerates for vision only.

Is this true? I know that software version has been rolling out, but have not seen confirmation that only cars with HW 3 are getting moved to Vision. Have there been HW 2.5 cars updated to the same new software and specifically confirmed they did NOT move
So here's an interesting turn of events. I was just notified through the app that 24.6 is ready to download. I'm currently on 24.5 and HW 2.5...

24.6 SW.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: KenC