Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3.0 upgrade for basic AP owners now free?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many HW2.5 cars (3s, Xs, etc) have gotten 2022.24.6 in the last few days. No vision retcon so long as on HW2.5, but those with HW3.x and radar hardware, loose features:

• Informative
Reactions: Vol16
Many HW2.5 cars (3s, Xs, etc) have gotten 2022.24.6 in the last few days. No vision retcon so long as on HW2.5, but those with HW3.x and radar hardware, loose features:
Agree. Tonight I installed 24.6 over 24.5 and not only didn't my radar disappear, but I'm not really seeing ANY difference between 24.5 and 24.6:

Here's 24.5's release notes:

2022.24.5.jpg

And here's 24.6's release notes:

2022.24.6.jpg

Agree. Tonight I installed 24.6 over 24.5 and not only didn't my radar disappear, but I'm not really seeing ANY difference between 24.5 and 24.6:

Here's 24.5's release notes:

View attachment 850101

And here's 24.6's release notes:

View attachment 850102
You need to check what the release notes in 2022.24.6 say in the 2022.20 section to see if Tesla Vision was turned on.

In my 2022.20 all I show is Tire Configuration:

2022.24.5.jpg
Right, but what you are showing is your 2022.20 notes with 2022.24.5 installed. They could be different once you have 2022.24.6 installed. (So you would need to go back and look at the full release notes now that 24.6 is installed, to see what it lists for 2022.20 now. Yes, they retro-actively change the notes.)

I have installed 24.6, my release notes are noted above.
No, they are not. You haven't shown the full release notes with 24.6 installed. (You've only shown what it brings up after an install which only shows the 24.6 portion, you have to go back in and look at the full release notes to see if they added Tesla Vision to the .20 section.)

edit: Of course, from looking at your prior posts you only have HW2.5, which doesn't support Tesla Vision, so of course you don't have it.

Ok, so I guess if I don’t want to be pushed to Vision, I should cancel my HW3/FSD computer install? Aside from top speed of 85 (which I never exceed), and follow distance limit of 2 (I never try to use 1), any other downsides?

forced use of auto headlights and wipers with AP/FSD engaged.

This will probably trigger someone, possibly many, but a few years ago (maybe a year or two into HW3 installs), a Tesla SC master tech told me that HW3 was never intended to be installed in the 3s (at least of that era). Radar cars with the Atom MCUs were designed with and around HW2.5.

Might explain some of the recent issues radar cars have experienced as the stack moves further and further away from MCU1/2, HW2.x and old sensor configs... and this push to retcon radar.

Last edited:
Ok, so I guess if I don’t want to be pushed to Vision, I should cancel my HW3/FSD computer install? Aside from top speed of 85 (which I never exceed), and follow distance limit of 2 (I never try to use 1), any other downsides?
People have reported worse phantom braking, but the main annoyance has been the forced auto-wiper and auto high-beam. The latter can be switched off each drive manually but still an inconvenience.

I am indifferent, on one hand Tesla Vision is clearly the future, will certainly have improved safety features with their new occupancy networks that should even come to base AP (albeit this is just speculation). On the other, if you are satisfied with how your car performs on AP now and don’t want short term regression for future improvements then don’t upgrade.

forced use of auto headlights and wipers with AP/FSD engaged.

This will probably trigger someone, possibly many, but a few years ago (maybe a year or two into HW3 installs), a Tesla SC master tech told me that HW3 was never intended to be installed in the 3s (at least of that era). Radar cars with the Atom MCUs were designed with and around HW2.5.

Might explain some of the recent issues radar cars have experienced as the stack moves further and further away from MCU1/2, HW2.x and old sensor configs... and this push to retcon radar.

Is this due to Atom MCU not having enough processing power? Did the master tech say why?

Note that when it comes phantom braking it was bad coming up on a car carrier on the highway. But these days not as much. Seems that the radar had issues picking it up.

Model 3 currently in the shop, they gave a 4 hour window, also getting cabin filter replaced, I told them I would wait. So far there is someone in the passenger seat now either the computer or the cabin filter or both.

Is this due to Atom MCU not having enough processing power? Did the master tech say why?
Good question. He did not and it was a few years ago, but I got a distinct feeling the 'legacy' (loosely early 2017-2019 production) Model 3 hardware components were configured as the car was intended. HW3 was an after-thought less akin to an upgrade and more along the lines of a rigged retrofit.

Good question. He did not and it was a few years ago, but I got a distinct feeling the 'legacy' (loosely early 2017-2019 production) Model 3 hardware components were configured as the car was intended. HW3 was an after-thought less akin to an upgrade and more along the lines of a rigged retrofit.

We know for a fact this is untrue as they discussed explicitly designing the HW3 computer during its introduction for drop-in compatibility with HW2.x vehicles.

The designer of the thing specifically cited "Must be drop in backward compatible" as an original design requirement.

Not to knock tesla service guys- they generally do great work- but they're not exactly the folks with inside info on internal architecture design.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and S&B's M3
We know for a fact this is untrue as they discussed explicitly designing the HW3 computer during its introduction for drop-in compatibility with HW2.x vehicles.

The designer of the thing specifically cited "Must be drop in backward compatible" as an original design requirement.

Not to knock tesla service guys- they generally do great work- but they're not exactly the folks with inside info on internal architecture design.

Yes, HW3 may have been designed as a drop in replacement …. But I’m not sure Model 3 was designed for that to BE a common replaceable part.

If it were, I suspect the wiring harness, placement and packaging would be a LOT different. Much easier to swap, and not require opening the cooling loop. That, to me, is the biggest sign it wasn’t really meant to be upgraded in place.

Reactions: Perscitus