Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3.0 upgrade for basic AP owners now free?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
…I heard that for the display/media computer, the older Intel Atom ones used less power…
Tegra/ARM MCU1 uses less power than Intel Atom MCU2 which uses less than the Ryzen S/X MCUZ/3 plus GPU.

To be fair, MCU2 and above don’t have a separately powered instrument cluster (ICU). I suspect Tegra/ARM MCU1 plus Tegra/ARM ICU together use less power than Intel Atom MCU2. Also, some sleep states wake the MCU1 but not the ICU.

Not sure if the Intel Atom MCU2 uses more than the Ryzen 3/Y MCUZ/3 without GPU.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: tm1v2 and Msjulie
i cancelled it and applied again asking for simply the upgrade from 2.5 to 3.0 and they are charing me $2000 again...lol wtf

You guy know that all these machinations are all for naught, since HW 4.0 is coming out! Right?

a

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
Is it possible to go 2.50-> 4?

Nobody knows since there's no official info on what "4" actually is....even that link appears to be from some early testing docs and incomplete as heck.

Certainly if it's just replacing cameras in existing locations and the driving computer it's likely it's possible.

What'd make it harder (though not impossible) would be if there's additional camera locations that don't exist on cars today.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
Nobody knows since there's no official info on what "4" actually is....even that link appears to be from some early testing docs and incomplete as heck.

Certainly if it's just replacing cameras in existing locations and the driving computer it's likely it's possible.

What'd make it harder (though not impossible) would be if there's additional camera locations that don't exist on cars today.

I hope TSLA learned their lessons from HW2.0 obsolescence, unless it's planned. BTW I'm looking at used Model X and the minimum I'm looking for will have 2.5,so asking for my 3 and future X.

TSLA is so good at SW OTA upgrades, they need to make their MCUs/HW plug and play modular/removable.

You guy know that all these machinations are all for naught, since HW 4.0 is coming out! Right?

a
I realized that lol, but the HW4 upgrade is only sensors not the computer. I’ll wait and see if upgrading to HW3 computer will include the HW4 sensor suite too, in that case I’d pay for it no questions asked.

Elon Musk last night on earnings call said:
Hardware 3 will not be as good as Hardware 4, but I'm confident that Hardware 3 will so far exceed the average -- the safety of the average human. So [Inaudible] how do we get ultimately to -- let's say, for argument's sake, if Hardware 3 can be, say, 200% or 300% safer than human, Hardware 4 might be 500% or 600%. It will be Hardware 5 beyond that. But what really matters is are we improving the average safety on the road.

But it is the cost and difficulty of retrofitting Hardware 3 with Hardware 4 is quite significant. So it would not be, I think, economically feasible to do so.

• Informative
Reactions: Krash
Knightshade said:
Elon Musk last night on earnings call said:
Hardware 3 will not be as good as Hardware 4, but I'm confident that Hardware 3 will so far exceed the average -- the safety of the average human. So [Inaudible] how do we get ultimately to -- let's say, for argument's sake, if Hardware 3 can be, say, 200% or 300% safer than human, Hardware 4 might be 500% or 600%. It will be Hardware 5 beyond that. But what really matters is are we improving the average safety on the road.

Well, that's a steaming pile of BS if I've ever seen one...

"Hardware 3 will so far exceed the average -- the safety of the average human" - Yeah, right.

a

have you met the average human? It's all relative.

And I've driven Tesla's FSD, which was supposed to have gone 100% full-self driving in 2019.
It still sucks and fails routinely.

Claiming that HW3 " I'm confident that Hardware 3 will so far exceed the average -- the safety of the average human" is total and shameless BS.
Do you have any reasons to disagree with my conclusion?

a