Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3 and WiFi Networks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine is LG Innotek and my Unifi Mesh AP is about 10' max from my rear view mirror.
Does yours work on 5Ghz any better than on 2.4? I am using Aerohive AP's but the meshing or "hive" is not configured. On the AC band the access point needs to be not only close, but on the passenger side of the car for me to get better performance than the 2,4 g N band.

If you are having collisions with another AP proximity to the client won't matter but I think the real problem is a poor 5Ghz implementation.

6 week old M3 and have been fighting a stable connection to our WiFi at home since day one. It would connect one time, then the only way to connect again would be to force a reboot using the steering wheel scroll buttons, it would connect again and that was it, once disconnected it wouldn't connect without a reboot. No other issues with wireless devices in/around our home with 300-400+Mbps throughput
2 days ago I removed the Unifi AP BeaconHD from our network and left main access point, a UAP-AC-Pro, everything was setup for 2.4/5 with the same SSID/PW. The BeaconHD was in the garage within 10 ft of the passenger side mirror.
Since removing the BeaconHD the car has connected to the WiFi with no intervention while parked at home, even downloading the latest update this evening without me knowing. It is connected via 2.4, but that is fine for updating, looks like this update was ~650 MB. Fingers crossed I have our connectivity solved...Next step is waiting for pickup of our 2nd M3 in May/June. :)
I noticed some mention of MAC's, here's the first 6 of our M3: 4c:fc:aa

6 week old M3 and have been fighting a stable connection to our WiFi at home since day one. It would connect one time, then the only way to connect again would be to force a reboot using the steering wheel scroll buttons, it would connect again and that was it, once disconnected it wouldn't connect without a reboot. No other issues with wireless devices in/around our home with 300-400+Mbps throughput
2 days ago I removed the Unifi AP BeaconHD from our network and left main access point, a UAP-AC-Pro, everything was setup for 2.4/5 with the same SSID/PW. The BeaconHD was in the garage within 10 ft of the passenger side mirror.
Since removing the BeaconHD the car has connected to the WiFi with no intervention while parked at home, even downloading the latest update this evening without me knowing. It is connected via 2.4, but that is fine for updating, looks like this update was ~650 MB. Fingers crossed I have our connectivity solved...Next step is waiting for pickup of our 2nd M3 in May/June. :)
I noticed some mention of MAC's, here's the first 6 of our M3: 4c:fc:aa
Cool. Love the AC-Pro. We have 3 in our house including one in the garage for the Tesla cars and Powerwall components.

Now just have to wait a few weeks for the U6-AC-Pro (Wifi 6) to start shipping.

Last edited:
Reactions: tstolze
I have found Tesla’s WiFi to be finicky as well. One of my Tesla’s is currently parked outdoors with decent but not great 5 ghz signal. The only way I can get to reliably connect was to create a 2.4 ghz SSID and have the Tesla connect to that.

Cool. Love the AC-Pro. We have 3 in our house including one in the garage for the Tesla cars and Powerwall components.

Now just have to wait a few weeks for the U6-AC-Pro (Wifi 6) to start shipping.

For home networks, you want the long range version (UniFi 6 Long-Range Access Point). The Pro and Lite versions are meant for office environments where you have have a lot of clients in a relatively small area. Homes networks are the opposite, you have clients that are scattered in a larger area. So the Long Range versions have an antenna that doesn't concentrate all its power in a small area. It is effective across more rooms and distance.

I too use the AC-Pros, but will upgrade to the UniFi 6 Long-Range Access Points when they start shipping in any quantities.

For home networks, you want the long range version (UniFi 6 Long-Range Access Point). The Pro and Lite versions are meant for office environments where you have have a lot of clients in a relatively small area. Homes networks are the opposite, you have clients that are scattered in a larger area. So the Long Range versions have an antenna that doesn't concentrate all its power in a small area. It is effective across more rooms and distance.

I too use the AC-Pros, but will upgrade to the UniFi 6 Long-Range Access Points when they start shipping in any quantities.
I prefer to have more device support for all devices I have around the house (I have a dozen or two in my office alone), and segment the traffic via multiple Access Points in different section of the home.

When you mix & match APs ("routers" as everybody calls them...ugh) and/or deploy discrete units rather than a true mesh system, you're apt to run into channel collisions that a mesh system will manage for you. In the 2.4GHz band, assuming you're in the US, there are 13 channels but really only 3 you can use well, particularly if you want to reuse them elsewhere. 5GHz has more options but lesser range.