Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No reason to wait that I know of.

If anything the supply chain might slow down for a bit and then you'll be waiting longer than you like.

Plus you too can then play "let's see everything my car identifies as a traffic cone", which is a bit more than just traffic cones.

Yes, I think you should wait. There is no immediate benefit to having HW3 and we need to allow the technicians to service cars that have real problems right now. Bringing your car in for service requires the technicians to take time away from more pressing needs, or taking time off to deal with all the family issues that are coming up as a result of the major life changes taking place during this pandemic.

And if they do the upgrade and it creates problems for your car (which has happened to numerous forum members) that will only require more of your time and theirs to troubleshoot. There are more important things to deal with now.

I did mine this past Wed. They called the day before and outlined how to do contactless drop off and pickup. Played out pretty well, and they had sanitizer next to the Check-In kiosk. Certainly can’t claim it was essential for me to do, but dammit, I wanted cones, lights, and stop signs. And with Elon claiming more features later this month, FOMO was too much for me.

Reactions: user212_nr
I have a scheduled appointment to get my model 3 upgraded to new HW3. Should I wait or should I do it now? Thoughts?

That depends on how cautious you are in this age of Covid-19.

Due to the lack of the tests, it's hard to know who's got the virus and who's not.

Due to that lack of data, the most effective way to slow down or stop the contagion is to treat as if everyone is until proven otherwise.

Some think the threat is overexaggerated such as Elon Musk, US leadership such as

Sen. Ron Johnson: We Shouldn’t Shut Down Economy Just Cause Up to 3.4 Percent of Infected Population Could Die

California Rep. Devin Nunes on coronavirus quarantine: Go to the pub

In my town, people at the pub say: "Alcohol is a disinfectant, too,"

Italy agrees that they should "not to change our habits" on 2/17/2020 when there were 400 cases.

The first known case was 1/31/2020 so they thought it was manageable.

On 2/27/2010, the cases went up 5,883 and even the party leader got it too!

Like Iran, Italy first downplayed it then slowly implemented incrementally lockdowns and today, it's 59,138 cases with 5,476 deaths.

The progression started very slowly to reassure the skeptics that they are right and they have lots of time to react then it just speeds up with time:

upload_2020-3-22_16-27-20.png

Graph from Italy Coronavirus: 59,138 Cases and 5,476 Deaths - Worldometer

I had mine done last Tuesday. There were a few cars there so I think doing your car is hardly taking away from other repairs. And if they couldn’t do it your appointment would’ve been canceled. Entire retrofit took about 2 hours. I’d go ahead with it.

Our country is still in denial about the seriousness of this pandemic. The fact that people think they should leave the house to get an HW3 upgrade pretty much speaks for itself.

It doesn't help with the conflicting news reports. This article from the LA Times (and repeated in many other news outlets) pretty much tells people we're blowing it out of proportion:
Why this Nobel laureate predicts a quicker coronavirus recovery: 'We're going to be fine'

It all depends on who you want to believe right now, and lots of people want to believe the news that doesn't cramp their lifestyle.

He's in Canada. I don't know the situation in Canada, but it looks better than here.

If people in Canada are working, then you are following the expectations of your society. If you are someone "at-risk" then you should take extra precautions.

I have a scheduled appointment to get my model 3 upgraded to new HW3. Should I wait or should I do it now? Thoughts?
Our country is still in denial about the seriousness of this pandemic. The fact that people think they should leave the house to get an HW3 upgrade pretty much speaks for itself.
And some people say "the cure may be worse than the problem" and evaluate this again in 15 days. Is not having HW 3 worse than the problem?