Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3 upgrade waiting room: All FSD Tesla’s

Has anyone had their HW3 upgrade scheduled/completed yet???

• Yes

Votes: 96 16.2%
  • No

Votes: 498 83.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They started shipping the Model X and Model S in March 2019 with AP 3. How do you know you only have AP 2.5?
VIN number coded HW3 which indicates HW2.5 H.264 vids from sentry.

The Tesla service advisor told me they (Austin location) had yet to receive any of the new computer. He sort of acted like the was the strangest question he had heard all week... I'm betting he is getting hammered with it as many Tesla's as there are here in Austin.

• Love
Reactions: Cape Coddess
HW3 has nothing to do with sentry and dash cam recording - MCU does

HW2.5 produces h.264 sentry vids AVC
HW3 produces h.265 sentry vids HEVC - higher res lower bandwidth

This is one reliable way to tell between the two. Considering this one would have to assume that there is some sort of relationship between the two even if only be faster speed of the HW3 processor.

• Informative
Reactions: derkan
I was browsing the parts site, and saw that now they not only list HW2.5 and HW3 computers, they have one now listed as HW3 for retrofit.
upload_2019-10-5_19-4-29.png

Put in for HW3 update again and again was told that we will be notified by VIN when to upgrade.

I guess I'm not alone since over 98% of owners who answered the poll on page 1 say they have not been able to get the update as of today.

We scheduled an upgrade to AP3 (including some other work) for later this month. The other work could've been done this week but we opted to just wait a couple more weeks and get both things taken care of in one visit. Right now, we have a two week wait until our service appointment but if the parts come in early, they said they could bump it up a few days.

We scheduled an upgrade to AP3 (including some other work) for later this month. The other work could've been done this week but we opted to just wait a couple more weeks and get both things taken care of in one visit. Right now, we have a two week wait until our service appointment but if the parts come in early, they said they could bump it up a few days.

@MorrisonHiker,

You scheduled the HW3 upgrade or Tesla ‘contacted’ you by VIN for the upgrade and you scheduled it? It’s been my understanding they’re supposed to contact us on a rolling VIN?

Ski

@MorrisonHiker,

You scheduled the HW3 upgrade or Tesla ‘contacted’ you by VIN for the upgrade and you scheduled it? It’s been my understanding they’re supposed to contact us on a rolling VIN?

Ski
We had another service visit scheduled for something else. We asked about AP3 upgrade and they said they have parts coming in and could schedule us for that as well. Note that we bought FSD on this car when it was first purchased in 2017 so we've been on the wait-list longer than most. It's possible we contacted them before they contacted us.

We had another service visit scheduled for something else. We asked about AP3 upgrade and they said they have parts coming in and could schedule us for that as well. Note that we bought FSD on this car when it was first purchased in 2017 so we've been on the wait-list longer than most. It's possible we contacted them before they contacted us.

Thanks! Great news on all fronts! Yes...I ‘pre-purchased’ the Full Monty as well (full FSD) with my configuration of my Performance 3 Years ago so I’m right there with you!:) Can’t wait for the call.

Ski

As long as the software is 100% the same feature set as 2.5 I don’t know why I’d clamor for 3.0 hardware. Tesla please don’t contact me! I would rather hold out until the feature set diverged. Why? Cause there is 4.0 in the works per the autonomy day. 7nm style. Given enough time I’d rather score one of those. Please skip to the front of line (for now) by all means. :)

Wait... doesn’t that mean you have AP2? If so, you’d be the first recorded AP2 -> AP3 upgrade. (Which is noteworthy for a handful of reasons including the different cameras, radar, etc.)