Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3 upgrade waiting room: All FSD Tesla’s

Has anyone had their HW3 upgrade scheduled/completed yet???

• Yes

Votes: 96 16.2%
  • No

Votes: 498 83.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm guessing they stopped buying that CPU from Nvidia once they had their own, so once the spares run out the only part available to replace your would be 3.0.

Except they'll be flush with several hundred thousand of them after they swap out everyone who paid for FSD (starting this December apparently). Pretty sure those will be used as replacement parts for anyone w/ 2.5 who didn't pay for the upgrade to 3.0.

Except they'll be flush with several hundred thousand of them after they swap out everyone who paid for FSD (starting this December apparently). Pretty sure those will be used as replacement parts for anyone w/ 2.5 who didn't pay for the upgrade to 3.0.
I doubt that returned used parts could be reused. I believe Tesla is ISO 9001 certified, which would not allow the reuse of anything that has been out of their control.

I doubt that returned used parts could be reused. I believe Tesla is ISO 9001 certified, which would not allow the reuse of anything that has been out of their control.

They could retest them and designate them as refurbs though. That is what they do now with batteries that get replaced. Refurbished parts are allowed as warranty replacements.

Being in Australia, which hasn't even gotten NoA yet, I suspect any FSD feature that require HW3 won't roll out here for at least 18 months after they're rolled out in North America, so we're not going to see HW3 here for a very long time yet. Who knows, they may even be rolling out HW4 by the time we see anything...

Or rather, if I were to phrase this backward, if I were in the same hypothetical accident and I have HW2.5 right now and never got the FSD option, would I get HW3.0 anyway as a replacement since that is effectively a retrofit and the "new standard"?

Car insurance is going to pay “fair value” for the car that was totaled. It will be based on market value of used cars of similar features and mileage. So it will effectively be based on how the market values cars.

Unless you have a guaranteed replacement value policy.

Tesla does overall not seem to care much about certifications and consumer laws though. It would not surprise me if Tesla keeps mounting AP2.5 used or new in new cars until they are out of stock to save much needed cash. Especially now.

• Disagree
Reactions: FlyF4
I'm counting on (hoping for) it. But I don't expect it soon.

I kinda view my FSD purchases (two) as putting a pile of chips on a "00" on the roulette wheel. Most of the fun is while the wheel is still turning.
The tech who changed my screen today (yellow borders) said that as he knows, all the cars with AP 2.0 and more recent can have the upgrade but they don’t have yet the parts. Also told me that the MCU upgrade (you know, for Netflix streaming o_O) will probably not work for 2.0 cause another type of microchip (Atom?) and too many components would not work with the new one...
Time will tell... I’m not good at winning at roulette :cool:

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
Just talked to a mobile service guy....evidently Tesla basically sent out a cease and desist from Tesla about doing any retrofits...even employees can't have it done on their cars.

He also said that everyone putting in the service requests for it just bog down the system and cause other people to get longer waits for service and just generally messes up the whole service schedule.

Just talked to a mobile service guy....evidently Tesla basically sent out a cease and desist from Tesla about doing any retrofits...even employees can't have it done on their cars.

Uh, I think you have the wrong term (cease and desist), otherwise Tesla would be threatening to sue itself if it doesn't stop. :D (a quote from the wife) But yeah, they don't want SCs doing it.

Uh, I think you have the wrong term (cease and desist), otherwise Tesla would be threatening to sue itself if it doesn't stop. :D (a quote from the wife) But yeah, they don't want SCs doing it.

Just because anyone says cease and desist doesn't mean they are going to sue...can a cop not tell you to cease and desist?

And more importantly...even if the term is wrong, I didn't use it, I relayed what the mobile service tech told me.