Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3 upgrade waiting room: All FSD Tesla’s

Has anyone had their HW3 upgrade scheduled/completed yet???

• Yes

Votes: 96 16.2%
  • No

Votes: 498 83.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Happy to hear the newer and faster computer is on the way. I too paid for FSD up front when I placed my M3 AWD FSD order in July 2017. Not really to concerned about when I get it installed as long as it’s prior to FSD coming out of Beta.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I just got my computer upgraded to HW3 last week and they called me yesterday to say that it was a "mistake" and I have to bring my car back to DOWN GRADE TO HW2.5???????????????????
I have a Sept 2017 MS 75D and paid for FSD. Should I let them DOWN grade me???????????????

• Funny
Reactions: JeffnReno
I just got my computer upgraded to HW3 last week and they called me yesterday to say that it was a "mistake" and I have to bring my car back to DOWN GRADE TO HW2.5???????????????????
I have a Sept 2017 MS 75D and paid for FSD. Should I let them DOWN grade me???????????????

Wow - I can't believe they would ask for it back !! Since you have FSD, seems like twice the time and labor to downgrade you and then upgrade you again at a later date..

I would ask them if there is a reason they want to downgrade you. Did they install a defective HW3? If so, then it is probably a good idea to let them do it. If they dont have a good reason, I would not bring the car back.

Did you have AP 2.0 or AP 2.5 before this upgrade?
Did you take FSD option before or after you receive the car very important if you take after you don't have upgrade to hw3 free

• Disagree
Reactions: croman and ABC2D
Given the VERY low number of upgrades that have been performed, I'm going to assume they detected an issue or anomaly and wouldn't screw around uninstalling something just for the fun of it.

I just asked the mobile service tech, he said for the HW3 upgrade need to be done in service center since it's a 6 hour job which they can't do it on site.
I saw the instructions on replacing computer on the service manual site, and there are 30ish steps including removing a lot of stuff and dealing with coolant hoses, etc. And I can't ever imagine how this would take 30mins. I would have guessed 3 hours though.

Given the VERY low number of upgrades that have been performed, I'm going to assume they detected an issue or anomaly and wouldn't screw around uninstalling something just for the fun of it.
I just got my car back and they removed the HW3.0 and installed HW2.5 and V10 update. Now I see a great difference in Autopilot, the details are awesome on the screen and the system work great.

I saw the instructions on replacing computer on the service manual site, and there are 30ish steps including removing a lot of stuff and dealing with coolant hoses, etc. And I can't ever imagine how this would take 30mins. I would have guessed 3 hours though.
TBF, there is a big difference in the S/X procedure as the AP chip is air cooled. No messing around with coolant hoses, so it’s possible 30 min is reasonable for S/X, but much longer for 3.

Steve Jobs Ghost on Twitter was told they were keeping his car overnight as the software side of things was taking a long time.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
We had another service visit scheduled for something else. We asked about AP3 upgrade and they said they have parts coming in and could schedule us for that as well. Note that we bought FSD on this car when it was first purchased in 2017 so we've been on the wait-list longer than most. It's possible we contacted them before they contacted us.
Unfortunately, we received an email that our service appointment was cancelled. We are not pleased as the parts department indicated several weeks ago that the necessary parts were coming in and a service advisor convinced us to combine two service requests into one appointment. Now both service requests have been cancelled by one of the "virtual service advisors". We'll be stopping by to see if we can get things straightened out.

Last edited: