Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3 upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I assume you're wondering about the Model S/X. I had my Model S upgraded very recently. If you have MCU1, AP2.5 and FSD, you can request an upgrade now via the app. However, if you did not buy FSD yet or you have AP2.0 or AP1 you will need to wait for the invite email. If you buy FSD now and have AP2.5 they might let you schedule now but I'm not sure.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
They aren't doing HW3 (autopilot) upgrades to MCU1 / AP2.5 without first doing the MCU upgrade. So if you are wanting to stay on MCU1 and not pay $2500 for the infotainment upgrade, you will be waiting until at least May before they start doing HW3 upgrades.

If you want to plunk down $2500 for the infotainment upgrade, they will give you MCU2 and get you to AP3 at the same time right now. Just did mine last Friday.

I had my M3 upgraded to MCU3 yesterday. I figured, what the heck, I'll just request it as a service item in the app and see what happens. Got an email shortly after saying a ranger would stop by my house to put it in.

Then I got a call the Thursday before, reminding me of my appointment Friday (the next day!) at the service center.

"Wait, that was for Monday. At my house."
"Yeah, well, we have to do the MCU swap in the shop."

Had to really scramble to find transportation for the day. But that all worked out. They have a social-distancing touchless process, and they sterilize the car thoroughly before they give it back.

The autopilot didn't work at all as I drove it out, until I looked closely at the failure notice where the fine print said it was recalibrating the cameras. It drew a nice blue "please wait" circle around the autopilot icon, which completed in about 15 minutes, then I was up and running.

They also installed software 2020.12.5, which I was avoiding due to reports of it not being able to read music off USB sticks. Mine, however, seems to work fine with this load.

I haven't seen it recognize a stop sign or stop light yet. Isn't that capability supposed to be linked with this hardware?

The FSD preview visualizations must be enabled in the AutoPilot settings before they'll be displayed.
I got a call from the service manager this morning, she said the same thing.

I also asked her about why the change from Ranger visit to service center. She said they had to do a firmware load, and some homes don't have reliable WiFi service to make that possible.

which reminds me -- be prepared to re-load your WiFi parameters and BlueTooth connection to your phone. Apparently those values don't get transferred to the new hardware. Station favorites from the infotainment system do get transferred.

Visualizations are working after the HW3 upgrade. Here are some examples:

Stop sign, and what the car thinks is the stop line. (In reality, it's just a gutter. But not a bad guess.)
20200423_175926.jpg

Stoplights. It knows which light is turned on, and seems to understand the positions of the lights in 3-D.
20200423_180730.jpg

Apparently fire hydrants are traffic cones. OK by me, one should probably avoid hitting it anyway.
20200423_181514.jpg

Good job on the line of traffic cones, and on continuing to correctly locate the one that's in the side camera view even after it leaves the front camera's field.
20200423_181624.jpg

Picks up trash cans on both sides of the street. But misses the car and truck right in front of it. That's disturbing.
20200423_182106.jpg

This thing is just a championship trash can recognizer. Gets the one next to the truck (it recognized the parked truck this time), and the trash can behind the mailbox. And the two across the street.
20200423_182110.jpg

But a nice distinct car, framed by trash cans on either side -- totally invisible! This is sad, because, without a road edge stripe, the car creates an imaginary edge presumably by just using some standard lane width. But now it needs to determine whether parked cars impinge upon its arbitrary lane edge so it can avoid them, and many of them are just invisible.
20200423_182120.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: croman and f205v