Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3 Verification

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
THIS! There are videos on YouTube showing exactly how to do this.

Please people stop harrasing chat staff with asking about this. They’re struggling to deal with customers enquiries as it is, imagine if hundreds of people start asking “do I have HW3?”
I been trying to get hold of the chat staff for 4 weeks now and have no chat button or telephone to call....CS is a joke and the service center plays dumb

Isn't a lot known yet.

As far as we know right now, the only change is the computer module itself. HW3 is the custom FSD chip Tesla has been working towards for years, with Tesla designed neural network accelerators.

The board has two CPUs, each with two accelerators on it, for failsafe/redundancy. It is supposed to be a couple of orders of magnitude faster than HW2.5 at running NNs, and able to handle larger matrices as well.

Right now we have been told it is still running the same networks as HW2.5 cars for Autopilot - hence the similar performance. At some point it'll transition to the new FSD networks they've been developing in the background, which would mean an abrupt change in capabilities (hopefully for the better. :) )

I believe the only known difference in performance today is the identification method above - the new board includes hardware to encode video more efficiently in a format that didn't exist when HW2.5 was designed, so the TeslaCam videos take less space and (combined with the other board advantages) require a little less energy.
Thanks for the reply. Now my question is will I see less features with FSD when it finally comes out than someone with HW3? I paid for the FSD package. HW3 owners didn’t pay more, as far as I know, yet it sounds like they’ll have improved capabilities, based on the hardware diffs alone.

Thanks for the reply. Now my question is will I see less features with FSD when it finally comes out than someone with HW3? I paid for the FSD package. HW3 owners didn’t pay more, as far as I know, yet it sounds like they’ll have improved capabilities, based on the hardware diffs alone.
I believe that Tesla will upgrade your car to HW3 when FSD is available.

I had a service call the other day and I asked my service guy if I had questions if I could call him directly.....no problem....so today I called him and asked what software I had and what HW version I had.....he called me back in 10 minutes: HW 3.0 and SW 20.4.4 edb5360....

he said I was behind by 2 revisions and he pushed the new 28.2 320fba0 to me.....did the update tonight and now all good....new chess game, key card recognition for profile of the driver....hopefully I will drive it tomorrow and see if any performance changes took place if I can feel it or observe it in AP and / or NOA

I'm really confused, I collected my car yesterday, its a RHD Blue Performance Model 3 with FSD and immediately setup dashcam, got home and examined the codec of the videos and found that it said H.264 not H.265 HEVC so I queried the tesla api and got my vehicle option codes which reported APH3 (HW2.5) not APH4 (HW3), so I contacted support and said I was bitterly disappointed. They responded and told me

"The reason for the confusing regarding the video codecs, is because the Sentry mode and Dashcam features are features that are supported by hardware 2.5. There currently are no features yet, that require the hardware 3.0 in order to operate."

I want to believe them, but being a software engineer I understand quite a lot about how stuff works and while it is possible that they are now using the old codec on the newer hardware in software 2019.28.2 (that I'm running), it seems very pretty unlikely to me.

Do others that have HW3 and have software 2019.28.2 still have dashcam videos with the H265 HEVC codec?

Last edited:
I really confused, I collected my car yesterday, its a RHD Blue Performance Model 3 with FSD and immediately setup dashcam, got home and examined the codec of the video and found that it said H264 not H265 HEVC so I queried the tesla api and got my vehicle option codes which reported APH3 (HW2.5) not APH4 (HW3), so I contacted support and said I was bitterly disappointed. They responded and told me

"The reason for the confusing regarding the video codecs, is because the Sentry mode and Dashcam features are features that are supported by hardware 2.5. There currently are no features yet, that require the hardware 3.0 in order to operate."

I want to believe them, but being a software engineer I understand quite a lot about how stuff works and while it is possible that they are now using the old codec on the newer hardware in software 2019.28.2 (that I'm running), it seems very pretty unlikely to me.

Do others that have HW3 and have software 2019.28.2 still have dashcam videos with the H265 HEVC codec?

Just FYI - option codes are meaningless on Model 3. I wish TeslaFi would stop displaying them - they’re exactly the same for ALL Model 3s and do not reflect whether you have HW2.5 or HW3.

Only real, sure-fire way to know is to check the part number on the computer behind the glovebox.

That said ... the service advisor is right. There’s not one feature today that takes advantage of HW3. It’s of no value to have it right now.

Just FYI - option codes are meaningless on Model 3. I wish TeslaFi would stop displaying them - they’re exactly the same for ALL Model 3s and do not reflect whether you have HW2.5 or HW3.

Only real, sure-fire way to know is to check the part number on the computer behind the glovebox.

That said ... the service advisor is right. There’s not one feature today that takes advantage of HW3. It’s of no value to have it right now.

So, been there tried that and got stuck, I followed a video on youtube that showed how they checked their computer under the glove box, but in the video

they had 4 pop clips, in my car they appear to have changed that, there are now 3 and the piece he unclipped is now one solid piece (not 2 parts) that goes all the way up to the glove box, after loosening the 3 clips it still wouldn't budge and there is no way I'm forcing anything without know what I'm doing.

The option codes thing you mentioned gives me some hope though :)

Would be good to know if others with 2019.28.2 also have videos with H264 now

New owners with bundled AP are not really realizing how inferior AP is to EAP.

I’m positive part of the consideration for this is they can use any hw they want and it will make no difference to non FSD cars.

The scale of autosteer in one lane is nothing to NoA which 2016 cars are doing.

If I could choose HW3 over HW2.5 I’d do just because but no quantifiable reason unless you were getting FSD.

So, been there tried that and got stuck, I followed a video on youtube that showed how they checked their computer under the glove box, but in the video

they had 4 pop clips, in my car they appear to have changed that, there are now 3 and the piece he unclipped is now one solid piece (not 2 parts) that goes all the way up to the glove box, after loosening the 3 clips it still wouldn't budge and there is no way I'm forcing anything without know what I'm doing.

The option codes thing you mentioned gives me some hope though :)

Would be good to know if others with 2019.28.2 also have videos with H264 now

Yes, much to my surprise and confusion.

My May build/June delivery FSD optioned Raven X was recording H265 for the last two months - and switched to H264 with the 2019.28.2 update a few days ago.

• Informative
Reactions: bijan
I have an inventory Model S manuf. 3/19 and purchased 5/27 with EAP. My saved dash cam video files are: MPEG-H PART 2/HVEC (H.265)(HVC1). An indication that I have the HW3 computer.
Now I've found a better way to tell if you have HW3. It's very easy to open glove compartment (easier to remove panel with it open) and pop off the small "porkchop" looking panel on the side of the dash where dash meets windshield door post. Look through the hole with a flashlight and if you have an HW3 computer you will see the HDMI port and right next to it , to the right, you will see a USB-C port. If you see them then you have the -00-F HW3 computer.