Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW4 auto wipers seem drastically improved

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That has to be it. Adding it back is admitting a mistake and those owners being upset they don't have that $3 part.
There’s a good chance that the patent cost is much more than 3USD….
But it doesnt matter, we need the right hardware for the car to work.

They removed the radar.
They removed the USS.
They removed the rain sensor.
They also removed the light sensor for automatic high / low beam. It is more or less fixed, work about as the high quality / premium cars. But that must be the easiest fix regarding lack of adekvat sensors.

Reactions: teko and dsm363
The windshield wipers are a joke on automatic mode…. If I want to use them, I have to put them in manual mode. Why in the world would Tesla remove a standard rain sensor that cost $2.47 only to rely on a camera that doesn’t work for $hit. By the way, the cost estimate of $2.47 came from Amazon; I am relatively certain that Tesla could get it for a better price. Ugh.

Joe
Don't worry software update will fix it (trademarked since 2012). Aren't you like a kid at Christmas wondering what new things Tesla will add next and make car feel like a new car again?

Reactions: dsm363
I had a discussion with the mobile service tech this morning. As usual, he could do nothing. He admitted that Tesla service is a mess because they are not concerned about the customers complaint but just the number of service tickets. I said that I filed for service just to let Tesla know that a problem with our auto wipers till exists. We chatted about all the crazy stuff that Tesla does but fails to correct and focus on major safety issues.

He mentioned that they got a Cyber truck yesterday. Apparently all dealers are getting one for display to boost sales. He said it is huge!

Reactions: dsm363
I had my first drive in a steady downpour today and the MYLR rain sensors seemed to work as well as the 2019 Honda Accord my wife drives - decent but not perfect either. Maybe with recent software updates and/or because I have HW4 it's much improved? I noticed every so often the MY wipers would slow down for a few beats where they shouldn't (rain was steady) but it wasn't a major issue. I just used a voice command "wipers to 3" and that fixed it easy peasy. So far so good, I have no idea what the prior horrible performance issues were, glad I missed them.

I had my first drive in a steady downpour today and the MYLR rain sensors seemed to work as well as the 2019 Honda Accord my wife drives - decent but not perfect either. Maybe with recent software updates and/or because I have HW4 it's much improved? I noticed every so often the MY wipers would slow down for a few beats where they shouldn't (rain was steady) but it wasn't a major issue. I just used a voice command "wipers to 3" and that fixed it easy peasy. So far so good, I have no idea what the prior horrible performance issues were, glad I missed them.
A downpour is about the best case scenario for Tesla's rain-sensing wipers. Lots of rain is more likely to trigger. Once they've started they tend to work acceptably, for the most part. Downpours aren't typical though, at least not in Colorado. More often than not, we get those in-between type rains that Teslas struggle mightily with to initially trigger them. This is the source of much of my frustration with the rain sensing wipers from Teslas and a dramatic step backwards from the automatic wipers I've had in other manufacturers going back decades. It's crazy to me that a company that is on the bleeding edge of technology can't master the most fundamental aspects of automation in some cases.

Reactions: Midpack
I did see a reference on X that the auto wipers were 'fixed' and Elon even replied saying "Sorry it took so long". That said, the OP adds confusion saying he's on the "Christmas update, the .9 release"...which is curious.

By ".9" is he referencing:
  • the update that came out around Thanksgiving? (2023.38.9)
  • the FSD 11.4.9 release? (which came with the Christmas update?)
  • Maybe a 2023.44.30.9 that isn't available yet? (Elon did respond to him...)
Normally I wouldn't care.. but the stupid auto wipers is one of two major gripes I still have with the vehicle. I'm on 2023.44.30.6 with my 23MYP and we finally got a little rain... and 'Auto' wipers do seem improved but still didn't quite start before I couldn't see through the rain on the windshield.

The main improvement I have seen is that as soon as I got in the car, in the garage, it used to wipe as soon as I got into the car (Nothing like dry dirt getting ground into the windshield with no water). It doesn't seem to do that anymore...but time will tell.