Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hybrid taking up charger at Loon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would clicking the "open charge port" on the Tesla ap allow it to be unplugged? I still think it's a good idea to leave your cell number so at least they can call you to tell if they are really desperate to use the charger.
I guess you could use the app to unlock. I do like the idea of providing a contact number so you could move the car. Let's say a desperate person shows up and you are close to done or convenience charging. They contact you and then you could offer to move.

Actually, Tesla App should have a messaging system or way to connect to iMessage/SMS Text but be anonymous so the person can't get your actual number.

If a Tesla is plugged in at a J1772, it can always be unplugged. The adapter will be locked in the charge port, but nothing locks the J1772 to the adapter.
How difficult is it to pull out the adapter since its small?

How difficult is it to pull out the adapter since its small?
It's not, really. I generally press the unlock button on the J1772, wait for the port ring to turn white and the port to unlock, the release the button so the latch on the handle re-engages the adapter, and pull both out as a unit (it takes a second for the car to recognize you've released the button and relock the port).

Once removed, I press the button again and pull apart the handle and adapter.

Others remove the adapter and J1772 handle as a two handed operation - one hand on the adapter and one hand on the handle. Press and hold the button, pull out with both hands, and then pull them apart.

Would clicking the "open charge port" on the Tesla ap allow it to be unplugged? I still think it's a good idea to leave your cell number so at least they can call you to tell if they are really desperate to use the charger.

If you unlock the car from your app, then it's the opposite of what the placard would indicate... you would do so to ALLOW somebody to unplug your car.

If you unlock the car from your app, then it's the opposite of what the placard would indicate... you would do so to ALLOW somebody to unplug your car.

But unlocking your car would also make it possible for somebody to enter your car. It would be much better if there was way to just unlock the charge cable remotely with something like "unlock charge port".

Question Specific to Loon. Are the chargers at the loon mountain club? or can anyone use them? Looking at my first winter in my M3 SR+ and wondering how to avoid any range anxiety on a day trip to shred. I figure if it's cold supercharging on the way home down the street could be slow, and i'd like to avoid having to stop on the way up...

I used them a couple of years back. Worked well. Only a couple though. Anyone can use them.

As I posted then, you do find Hybrids using them all day to make sure they have their 30 miles ready. ;)

Would be great if Loon, Waterville, Bretton Woods, etc. got some proper charger areas.

Reactions: NickDeRoo