Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hydrogen vs. Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

"This set-up allows up to 95 percent of the sunlight to be absorbed with very little being lost as heat to the surroundings," Hotz said. "This is crucial because it permits us to achieve temperatures of well over 200 degrees Celsius within the tubes. By comparison, a standard solar collector can only heat water between 60 and 70 degrees Celsius."
I'm not sure what counts as a 'standard' solar collector, but the hot-water system on my roof will easily get to 220 degrees C on a sunny summer's day. It's about 6 years old, so not exactly state-of-the-art any more.

Infrastructure limitations may prevent manufacturers at first from rolling out fuel cell cars on the same wide scale as electric vehicles, but they will be on the streets in increasing numbers by 2015. They will tend to be larger and more high-end than the electrics, and they will have a bigger range, while battery electrics may be mainly city cars, Brock added.

Note to author: Model S

Hyundai Hypes Hydrogen on Cross-Country Cruise | Autopia | Wired.com

MG_9133-copy.jpg

The bottom line is, Hyundai — like Daimler and Honda — are optimistic the infrastructure issue will be sorted out. Company spokesman Christopher Hosford suggests starting with hydrogen stations along trucking routes. Do that, he says, and the rest of the country will follow.

Here's a couple of presentations from a UK hydrogen filling station manufacturer.

400088059.jpg

Energy Storage | Fuel Security , Presented at Energy Institute, London

http://www.itm-power.com/cmsFiles/media/ITM_AGMPresentation_140911.pdf

Note the figure in slide 15 of the second presentation - 56kWh per kg hydrogen...

Simple calculations show that gives the FCX Clarity, with its tank of 4.1kg and range of 240 miles / 386 km, CO2 emissions of 291.8g/km on the UK grid. Put another way, confirmation that it takes 4 times the amount of electricity as the Roadster for roughly the same official range (but we knew that anyway).

Furthermore, the specs state it has a maximum electrolising capacity of 50 kg per day (100 is an aspiration), so the maximum number of cars this can fill in a day is 12. The production rate means that continuous power requirements must be over 116 kW.

That's why most pro-hydrogen studies (conveniently) ignore electrolysis based hydrogen unless it was 100% made from renewable sources.

They usually stick to local SMR since that is the cheapest, cleanest (again 100% renewable excepted), most probable way to make and distribute hydrogen for cars.

Someone from Toyota GB PR decided to get involved with this on Twitter. Tweet up if you agree with this post: Twitter
attachment.php?attachmentid=2589&d=1316291378.png

These guys actually sell electrolysis units and tried to play the renewables card, even though they sell to sites and specify must have an on-site power supply of x in the brochure.

But as Doug has said before, it's as if they think renewables = free energy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14979817 The BBC has put out an article about whether fuel cell cars are the future, blah, blah, blah. They've got a Professor Kendall saying H fuel cells will replace conventionally fuelled vehicles with "No emissions whatsoever", and that "Your electric battery car does 60 miles [100km], this does 300 miles. It fills in five minutes rather than five hours,". Also the CEO of Daimler chimes in along a similar line, "For battery electric vehicles, you'll need infrastructure that is probably more costly than hydrogen". Probably...

Personally (with a massive EV bias) I think most of the article is uninformed baloney (as per the usual BBC standard).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14979817
The BBC has put out an article about whether fuel cell cars are the future, blah, blah, blah. They've got a Professor Kendall saying H fuel cells will replace conventionally fuelled vehicles with "No emissions whatsoever", and that "Your electric battery car does 60 miles [100km], this does 300 miles. It fills in five minutes rather than five hours,". Also the CEO of Daimler chimes in along a similar line, "For battery electric vehicles, you'll need infrastructure that is probably more costly than hydrogen". Probably...

Personally (with a massive EV bias) I think most of the article is uninformed baloney (as per the usual BBC standard).
BBC News - Is hydrogen the future of motoring?

Hmm... well after reading the article, it's much more balanced than the video (and than I was expecting).

There is a whole section discussing "Recharging at home" which exactly would have been my response to Daimler's Dr. Z.
To that I would add that I think a home charging station should be considered part of the cost of the car rather than part of some external infrastructure cost. I'd like to see the details of Dr. Z's EV versus H2 infrastructure cost comparison. Home charging means that EVs don't have the chicken and egg problem HFCVs have.

The article also includes a rebuttal to the "fast charge" advantage of H2. However, it ends with the red herring of "Clean energy required". Implying that EVs are only good once the grid is 100% clean renewable. Of course EVs offer a total emissions benefit (compared to ICE vehicles) even with the current grid. As we clean up the grid it only gets better. However, if H2 comes from renewables, HFCVs require three times as much energy as EVs, so it's a comparably poor use of resources.

Btw,
Professor Kevin Kendall, Chemical Engineering, University of Birmingham - University of Birmingham
Professor Kevin Kendall FRS has been researching hydrogen and fuel cells over the past 30 years. He was responsible for the first hydrogen filling station in England, to fuel hydrogen vehicles running on the Birmingham campus since March 2008. There are now four stations in the Midlands and there should be eight by 2012, with a prospect of hundreds of hydrogen hybrid vehicles by 2015. Support from many companies and funding agencies have made this possible, especially Microcab, RDM, EPSRC, TSB and AWM.
He's way too invested in H2 to give an unbiased opinion.