Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hyundai KonaEV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would definitely seriously consider the Kona (or Niro), but neither has a change of being offered in North Carolina. It’s obvious that they did more than just swap an ICE for an electric motor a la Mercedes B-Class, Spark EV, and other compliance cars. It’s too bad they’re selling it like a compliance car.

Reactions: 1 person
Any idea how the 18,600 vehicles per year breaks down by market?

You can get some idea here. In 2018 they sold over 22k Kona EVs and sales only started half way through the year. So that makes the current yearly run rate 40k. Largest market is the domestic market taking nearly 50% of the cars. From individual registrations I suspect that the Netherlands and Norway between them will take easily 30% of the export sales.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
I would definitely seriously consider the Kona (or Niro), but neither has a change of being offered in North Carolina. It’s obvious that they did more than just swap an ICE for an electric motor a la Mercedes B-Class, Spark EV, and other compliance cars. It’s too bad they’re selling it like a compliance car.
If you really want it, go buy one in Maryland. That is a similar distance as I went to get my first EV from another city in California. The main difference is that you have a little more hassle with registration.

You mean like how you could get your model 3 quicker if you ordered Performance? There is no shame in optimizing revenue for an in demand product.
Yes, but when the buyer chooses to get a Performance Model 3 so they get a Model 3 sooner, they get a better product in return for their greater expenditure. Additional Dealer Markup is just an expedite fee to the buyer. I've personally never been in that much of a hurry to get a car. By waiting about 9 months to get my RAV4 EV, not only did I avoid Additional Dealer Markup, but I got $10k on the hood and 0% financing from Toyota.

If you really want it, go buy one in Maryland. That is a similar distance as I went to get my first EV from another city in California. The main difference is that you have a little more hassle with registration.
So I did that wit my current Mercedes B-Class Electric Drive. Went to Maryland to buy it, and they had it shipped to my front door in North Carolina. Then I had a years-long nightmare of having to get an unsupported EV serviced in a red sea of non-EV Merc dealers. In the future, I’m only going to buy a car that I can get serviced in my own state, which in a non-CARB state, severely limits my choices.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
Kona availability in Europe is looking good. Original plan for was 40k units/year, but they are ramping up fast.

Unfortunately if you order via their web site it will tell you September or later for delivery, but most people are finding that later they get an email saying April or May now.

An issue was identified with the charge port where it could get snow in it. Mainly affects Norway. A fix is in the works.

I was at the auto show and sat in the car. Is it me or the car feels very small. I think measurement shows it is bigger than the 3, but it doesn’t feel that way except headroom

The Niro is considerably larger than both, while maintaining a compact footprint.

The other thing to consider is the boot. The M3 is a saloon with a small door, where and the Kona and Nira have full size hatch back doors.

Hyundai starts pre-orders for Kona Electric

hyundai-kona-electric-in-south-korea.jpg
Oh, I would like to buy an EV like Kona Electric of Hyundai. It is so beautiful!

There was just one problem: the dealer was adding a $5000 fee on top of MSRP. But, if I really, really wanted one today, maybe they could cut that back to $3000 on top of MSRP.
Dumb dealer tricks.
Besides what you reported and what's been reported in the press, this guy at MNL also encountered this: Hyundai Kona Electric - Page 17 - My Nissan Leaf Forum.

Argh! Some folks were prodding me to wait for Kona Electric. I wasn't going to bother and bought a Bolt (they were being heavily discounted). I'm glad I didn't wait and wouldn't have anyway as I'm not real keen on buying a 1st model year vehicle w/an unknown reliability rating.

We've driven the Kona and own a Bolt. A few miscellaneous impressions:

They seem very similar. The Kona looks bigger from the outside, but the cabins are about the same. The features are similar.

The Kona does provide in-car maps and navigation while the Bolt requires a phone hookup (and running data charges) or monthly fees from Onstar. The ongoing cost of maintaining the various Onstar services on the Bolt after the skimpy trial period is significant.

The regenerative braking on the Kona seems very weak after using the Bolt's truly one-pedal driving.

The Bolt (unlike our Teslas) remembers its place in audiobooks, etc. no matter what other actions intervene.

It would be a tough choice if both had been available when we bought. Kona -- weak regen but no monthly fees to maintain the navigation, etc. Bolt - available (in our area), discounted and with at least some track record.. Neither is a Model 3, of course, but its surprising (or not) how many people wont' even consider a car for which they can't get local service and repairs.

services on the Bolt after the skimpy trial period is significant.
I think the Bolt comes with 5 years of basic OnStar which supports app-based status checking (during charging etc), door lock/unlock, maybe cabin temperature preconditioning, and monthly overall status report emails. Fancier OnStar plans allow for in-vehicle diagnostic reports, internet services, and automatic emergency service calls after major vehicle accidents.

The Bolt-specific part of this comes down to the navigation support. Using phone navigation through CarPlay or Android Auto requires internet access either through normal cellphone internet access or through in-car WiFi provided by OnStar. If you use navigation frequently via your phone internet plan this could increase your phone bill etc.

Did you try one pedal mode with the left hand paddle? It is quite strong and will completely stop the car if held down.

I did use the steering wheel paddle and you are right, it does bring the car to a complete stop -- just not quite as quickly as the Bolt. The lack of a really strong regen setting for normal driving, comparable to the (terribly designated) "L" setting on the Bolt is the thing that I noticed most. In driving, I found the Kona regen to be comparable to our Tesla's.

Don't get me wrong -- the car drove very smoothly and with excellent control and modulation of acceleration throughout our test drive over railroad tracks and Winter-deteriorated roads.