Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hyundai KonaEV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Less than ideal is a bit of an understatement.

Bjorn notes that he thinks 1000km is possible in good conditions, matching the M3 with larger battery.

Dude you seriously need to give this a rest. All this stuff about how Bjorn hyper-miles in Norway or whether Kona does 9Wh better than Model 3 is irrelevant and is actually turning me *off* the Kona EV. It's absurd to compare a small CUV econobox to a sporty sedan that is carrying a larger body, larger motor(s) and larger battery.

A better question would be why would anyone drop this amount of money on Kona EV when Kona ICE & PHEV are like *half* the price?! Model 3's competition on the other hand are of equivalent price, making Model 3 more compelling for buyers of sporty sedans.

Fine - spread the news and excitement about Kona EV but don't push some daft "Tesla sux" narrative.

Reactions: WarpedOne
It's a thread and the Kona, what do you expect?

Comparisons with an ICE are pointless. You wouldn't buy an M3 either if an ICE was acceptable.

As I've said before if you want an expensive sports EV then the M3 is a good option, assuming you can get one. But for 20k less you can get the same range and even some better tech/features in the Kona.

Personally I'd find it hard to justify that extra money (50% more!) for the sake of a couple of seconds off the 0-100 and less confort.

Having said that I'm considering the Niro. More space, similar features and 30km less range is an acceptable compromise.

• Disagree
Reactions: LargeHamCollider
It's a thread and the Kona, what do you expect?

Comparisons with an ICE are pointless. You wouldn't buy an M3 either if an ICE was acceptable.

As I've said before if you want an expensive sports EV then the M3 is a good option, assuming you can get one. But for 20k less you can get the same range and even some better tech/features in the Kona.

Personally I'd find it hard to justify that extra money (50% more!) for the sake of a couple of seconds off the 0-100 and less confort.

Having said that I'm considering the Niro. More space, similar features and 30km less range is an acceptable compromise.
But ICE vehicles are supposed to be what you compare the Model 3 to. It makes little sense comparing a CUV that is missing AWD to a sedan. You wouldn't compare the gas Kona to the BMW 3 Series, but when it comes to EV's that is what folks are doing.

If anything comparing the Kona EV to the Model X would be slightly better as they are both CUV's. Though you are down a lot of power, a whole drive unit, and cannot tow in the Kona.

On the other hand the Kona costs 1/3rd what an X with similar long distance performance does...

For me the best comparison is with other EVs in a similar price bracket or similar range. M3 is a good candidate, but realistically I think the main competition in Europe will be the Niro and Leaf 60.

Compared to an ICE the Kona is a game changer. It's the first to have the range and price. If you want something larger for a few bucks more there is the Niro. The build quality and interior of the Niro hybrid is a big step up from the Kona and M3.

• Disagree
Is the Kona pricing basically the same as the expected UK Model 3 pricing?

It's a bit up in the air because of brexit, but if the M3 SR were available at $35k it would be

Kona 64kWh base spec £29.5k
M3 SR £30k
M3 SR with AP £35k
Kona Ultimate with AP £32k
M3 LR £42k
M3 LR with AP £47k

HOWEVER

The Kona will get discounts and lower maintenance/repair costs so in practice will be even cheaper. You also get a lot more features and tech with the Kona.

The Niro will likely be 1-2k more. Bigger, nicer interior, 5-10% less range.

• Disagree
It's a bit up in the air because of brexit, but if the M3 SR were available at $35k it would be

Kona 64kWh base spec £29.5k
M3 SR £30k
M3 SR with AP £35k
Kona Ultimate with AP £32k
M3 LR £42k
M3 LR with AP £47k

HOWEVER

The Kona will get discounts and lower maintenance/repair costs so in practice will be even cheaper. You also get a lot more features and tech with the Kona.

The Niro will likely be 1-2k more. Bigger, nicer interior, 5-10% less range.
Your claim about maintenance costs is pure speculation.

I see Kona EV as better compared to Leaf 40/60 or the Bolt regarding size and performance.

Hyundai might struggle if more than 20,000 people want one as well.

Your claim about maintenance costs is pure speculation.

It's not pure speculation. We know what the Ioniq, Soul and Leaf cost to maintain and repair, we know what the petrol Kona and hybrid Niro cost, and we know what the Model 3 costs.

It would be very strange if the Kona/Niro/Leaf cost much more. Many of the parts are shared, and we know what Hyundai and Kia and Nissan charge for servicing and spares on their existing EVs.

Meanwhile Tesla is struggling to meet demand at many service centres and is notorious for having long delays getting parts and high prices for non-warranty repairs. Plus you get a longer warranty with Hyundai and Kia anyway, and they have a proven track record of reliability.

2017 What Car? Reliability Survey

7 Hyundai 84.8%
11 Kia 81.3%
29 Nissan 52.7%
30 Tesla 52.4%

I think Nissan were let down by some severe problems with certain fossil models.

• Informative
Reactions: Inside
It's not pure speculation. We know what the Ioniq, Soul and Leaf cost to maintain and repair, we know what the petrol Kona and hybrid Niro cost, and we know what the Model 3 costs.

It would be very strange if the Kona/Niro/Leaf cost much more. Many of the parts are shared, and we know what Hyundai and Kia and Nissan charge for servicing and spares on their existing EVs.

Meanwhile Tesla is struggling to meet demand at many service centres and is notorious for having long delays getting parts and high prices for non-warranty repairs. Plus you get a longer warranty with Hyundai and Kia anyway, and they have a proven track record of reliability.

2017 What Car? Reliability Survey

7 Hyundai 84.8%
11 Kia 81.3%
29 Nissan 52.7%
30 Tesla 52.4%

I think Nissan were let down by some severe problems with certain fossil models.

I really wish you wouldn't be so one-eyed about all this. I actually like Hyundai and am pleased they developed the Kona EV, but these servicing and reliability claims you make about Hyundai are only true of very recent years. Hyundai and Kia have both been seen as B-grade cars for most of the last 2 decades (trust me, I've been around that long to see their advances in quality and lived in Seoul for a year). This only began to change with i30 and Sonata from the late-2000s.

Tesla is clearly struggling to improve servicing coverage in places like Norway but be realistic - *no other manufacturer* has ever grown its market share so quickly in a single country, let alone BEV growth and providing a Supercharging network. Sure it must be annoying to have to wait for servicing in Oslo right now, but that is a different issue from your claim that Tesla Model 3 will cost more to maintain than Hyundai Kona.

My comment still stands that Kona EV is better compared with Leaf and Bolt etc, not the Model 3. And my comment still stands that if we all wanted a Kona tomorrow then 430,000 of us would miss out because its still a niche car at 20,000 units a year, not a serious EV contender.

I really wish you wouldn't be so one-eyed about all this. I actually like Hyundai and am pleased they developed the Kona EV, but these servicing and reliability claims you make about Hyundai are only true of very recent years. Hyundai and Kia have both been seen as B-grade cars for most of the last 2 decades (trust me, I've been around that long to see their advances in quality and lived in Seoul for a year). This only began to change with i30 and Sonata from the late-2000s.

Maybe it's different where you are, but Hyundai has consistently had high reliability in Europe for a couple of decades now. Back in the early 2000s there were lots of articles about how they were great value for money and extremely reliably, but also exceptionally boring to drive and extremely generic. They were often likened to white goods, the fridge of the car world.

By the 2010s they were getting more interesting to drive and now are pretty good, especially Kia.

Tesla is clearly struggling to improve servicing coverage in places like Norway but be realistic - *no other manufacturer* has ever grown its market share so quickly in a single country, let alone BEV growth and providing a Supercharging network. Sure it must be annoying to have to wait for servicing in Oslo right now, but that is a different issue from your claim that Tesla Model 3 will cost more to maintain than Hyundai Kona.

I appreciate that they are growing fast, which is great because more EVs is a good thing. But from the owner's point of view that's not much help.

We shall see about Model 3 maintenance costs I guess. The S and X are obscenely expensive, especially for EVs, but I guess they were subsidising the build up for service centres.

Reading the manual it has lots of really nice features.

- Location based charging settings, e.g. charge limit, rate, time etc.

- Wing mirrors can automatically tilt down when parking so you can see the kerb

- Utility mode ("camper mode") allows you to run the head unit and other 12V stuff, not just the HVAC

- Road sign reading, including variable speed limits (dry/wet, based on wiper setting), no overtaking zones etc.

- Driver attention monitoring, basically checks if you are drifting around in the lane

- Auto dimming rear view mirror

- Auto windscreen defogging

Reactions: jas
Reading the manual it has lots of really nice features.

- Location based charging settings, e.g. charge limit, rate, time etc.

- Wing mirrors can automatically tilt down when parking so you can see the kerb

- Utility mode ("camper mode") allows you to run the head unit and other 12V stuff, not just the HVAC

- Road sign reading, including variable speed limits (dry/wet, based on wiper setting), no overtaking zones etc.

- Driver attention monitoring, basically checks if you are drifting around in the lane

- Auto dimming rear view mirror

- Auto windscreen defogging

I know you are hot on the Kona... I too am happy to see other EV's jumping in to the fray.

But some of those features aren't really differentiators in the "really nice" sense of the word, IMO. They are found on lots of run of the mill cars.

But some of those features aren't really differentiators in the "really nice" sense of the word, IMO. They are found on lots of run of the mill cars.

I'm mostly interested in a comparison with other EVs, since I need to buy a new one and fossil isn't even an option for me. Pure electric only.

While obviously other high spec Hyundai have some of those features, let alone other makes, the choice of reasonably priced long range EVs now is:

Kona
Niro
Leaf 60
Model 3 SR

Apparently we will see a 64kWh Soul enter he fray soon too. BMW may update the i3.

So far only the Kona is actually out, but the Niro is going to start taking orders soon for delivery before the end of the year. Leaf 60 still to be announced, no ETA on the M3.

I fear that the Leaf 60 will just be a 40 with different battery, in which case I'm probably not interested. I loved my Leaf 24 and 30, but for the 40 they replaced the great digital speedo with an analogue one (!) and frankly #rapidgate makes the whole thing seem kind of half-arsed. The Nissan head unit is really showing its age too, although they do have remote access via app.

So my main focus is on the Kona and Niro at the moment. The M3 is a bit basic and a bit small, range is significantly lower, and I probably won't be able to buy one until 2020 anyway. The Niro has a bit of an edge - expected to be slightly more expensive but the interior is nicer and you get more space. Tech wise it's very similar to the Kona so I expect it will have all the same features like the utility mode. Only thing kinda missing is a HUD or decent digital speedo, but we haven't seen the final IC yet.

In some ways the Kona reminds me of the Leaf 24, in that it seems like they have really thought about the design of an EV rather than just throwing an electric drivetrain in an ICE. Even more so perhaps, given that the Leaf's shape was notoriously inefficient but the Kona is top tier.