Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I’ll get roasted but here goes anyway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
99.9% of the time I have never had a problem with my iPhone as a key. If I do have a problem it just takes a few seconds for the car to recognize the phone and then the door will open. I never want to own another key fob in my life. And why fill your pocket with a bulky fob when you can use the keycard?

Here near Boston, some of the major hospitals and their satellite offices for outpatient treatment also pretty much require valet parking, so I hear you there.

I'm going to use my card, but I also got this gizmo so that valets can hang it up on their key holders like a normal key: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B9KJSCF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Great idea, that’s one of the things I was wondering about—how they would manage to not lose the card if they are unable to hang it in their key box. Hopefully that gizmo does the trick.

So many people don't understand the app has to be open in the foreground or background and your car selected for this to work. I think this accounts for a majority of the issues. If you force close the app, until you open it again, it will never open your car.
Not aware. Something to keep in mind when the Model Y comes our way.

Sounds like a phone problem to me. No problems with Android Moto Z4 or i10. Usually use the former. There has been a few times when it was slow. I can go to Controls and use Unlock at the top while it is trying to connect on those few occasions.

I have a smartphone case that fits my ID, credit card, and Tesla card. I walk out of the house with my phone only - no keys and no wallet. I don't really have any interest in going back to a way of life where I have to leave the house with a phone, wallet, and keys. The car unlocks the majority of the time. If it doesn't, all I have to do is hold my smartphone up to the key card reader and it will recognize the card and open every time.
That’s what I thought too until today, but I dropped my car off at tesla. Then took the Uber back home. And couldn’t get in. Damn I’ve gotten spoiled not taking keys with me and today it bit me in the ass. Until my phone can open my house which is probably some Something it can do, if I figured it out I probably still need to think about keys.

• Funny
Reactions: Mattzilla
So many people don't understand the app has to be open in the foreground or background and your car selected for this to work. I think this accounts for a majority of the issues. If you force close the app, until you open it again, it will never open your car.
Actually this isn't the case (or at least wasn't the case when I was using my phone as a key). Once you have it running correctly all you need is bluetooth on and the car bluetooth connection active - if it is, it doesn't matter if the app is open in the foreground or background, you can force close it or anything. Please note that I've been using the fob for several months now, they may have changed things since then.

I've had my M3 since Aug 2018, and occasionally still have that panic when I walk out reach for the key and there's nothing in my pocket.

I threw away my beeper, and started being notified by my cell phone instead, since about 16 years ago. Some days, I still walk out of the house and tap my belt to be sure I have my beeper! It takes a while to lose old habits.

Actually this isn't the case (or at least wasn't the case when I was using my phone as a key). Once you have it running correctly all you need is bluetooth on and the car bluetooth connection active - if it is, it doesn't matter if the app is open in the foreground or background, you can force close it or anything. Please note that I've been using the fob for several months now, they may have changed things since then.

It's always been required to be running in foreground or background. At least if you want to be able to unlock your car.

iPhone 11

With our iPhone 8 and 8+, we had no problems until a recent software upgrade. My wife’s phone is still fine (same OS version), but mine is intermittent—fine fir a few weeks, then requires that I START to open the app.
First time this happened, I disconnected and reconnected phone and also rebooted phone and our Model 3, and then no problem.

Annoying to have to do this again, but worth fir the no fob freedom.

Zero problems with my 3 year old Galaxy S8. Works every single time - although one time it did take ~2 seconds for the door to open instead of the nearly-instant open. I also enabled NFC on my phone so I can use the phone on the door pillar for when I want to quickly lock instead of "walk away".

My phone automatically reboots every Wednesday while I sleep to keep the OS clean and happy. Don't know if that keeps things working smoother or not.

Is there any general consensus on whether the problems tend to be phone-related vs. vehicle-related? Sounds like some people have weaker BLE signal than others (having to take the phone out of their pocket)

as many of you have figured out with phone software updates, the phone doesn’t work as well as it once did as a key.

Yes, something happened with either iOS or with the Tesla app. I updated the Tesla app a couple weeks/months ago and it crashed on startup. I had to delete it and re-make the phone key, and roughly speaking it hasn't been the same since.

I got a lot of warnings from Apple about "this device is using your location", which I agreed to. They come once a week / several times a week so I'm hesitant to ever delete the app again.

Is there another thread about this problem? I assume that the fault is with Apple/Tesla and am hoping that it will someday start working again as it once did. Specifically, the car asks for the key card, but pressing the power button on the iPhone 6s seems to activate the bluetooth.

Get yourself the keyfob. There I said it. I know the car was designed and sold to not need one, and when it works, the phone as a key is great, but as many of you have figured out with phone software updates, the phone doesn’t work as well as it once did as a key. It’s hit or miss. The app has to stay open for many. I got the keyfob 6 months ago and it’s flawless every single time. Yeah it’s 150 dollars, so it’s up to each person whether they find the value, but if you can afford a Tesla then you can afford 150 dollars. Purchase one. Not only is it a great conversation piece because it’s the best looking fob, but no more frustration with getting in the car.
What size battery does this Tesla keyfob require?

I'm not sure if it behaves differently on a non iphone but 100% of the time on an iphone you need the app open in background or foreground. funny that 2 of the guys that think you don't need the app open also are ones that bought fobs because they couldn't get it to work consistently. :)

It's always been required to be running in foreground or background. At least if you want to be able to unlock your car.
That’s not true. my app stayed closed all the time and it worked flawlessly and then it stopped working that way and that’s when I purchased the fob because I cannot keep my app open all the time I am too OCD and close my apps out by habit.

That’s what I thought too until today, but I dropped my car off at tesla. Then took the Uber back home. And couldn’t get in. Damn I’ve gotten spoiled not taking keys with me and today it bit me in the ass. Until my phone can open my house which is probably some Something it can do, if I figured it out I probably still need to think about keys.
I just leave my key ring in the car during the day concealed in the center console and can move about with just my phone on my person

Only time I have a problem is after a Dr visit or a movie and I left the phone in airplane mode. Takes 10 seconds to set it right.
Had that happen to me a few days ago when my wife and I returned to the parking garage after an evening at the theater. However, it took me more than 10 seconds of pulling on the trunk lid and doors handles and having HAL wink at me before it finally dawned on me that my phone was still in Airplane Mode. After that realization, it was a quick fix. Definitely a "senior moment". :) Other than these occasional user-error incidents, the phone-as-key has been reliable for me.

I do keep a key card in my wallet and have used it on occasions when I got into the car and had it time-out because I spent too much time messing around with stuff before driving off. Between these two methods, I haven't felt the need for the addition of a key fob; however, i'm not going to "roast" or chastise anyone who prefers or finds it necessary to use one. It's good to have options and people should use what works for them.

Last edited: