Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I-5 Grants Pass, OR to Springfield, OR ABRP says not a valid route

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Duffer

TSLA Long
Oct 19, 2017
NorCal
Hello,

I will be heading up I-5 next week to visit family in our MS75D and I was shocked to see A Better Route Planner (ABRP) showing a red line between Grants Pass and Springfield. I lived all over Oregon growing up so I'm aware of the terrain between the two but even so it's only 138 miles.

Is there something I'm missing?
Last summer the Grants Pass SC was capped at 80% due to the high usage. Is that still in effect?
Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your time and assistance,

Hello,

I will be heading up I-5 next week to visit family in our MS75D and I was shocked to see A Better Route Planner (ABRP) showing a red line between Grants Pass and Springfield. I lived all over Oregon growing up so I'm aware of the terrain between the two but even so it's only 138 miles.

Is there something I'm missing?
Last summer the Grants Pass SC was capped at 80% due to the high usage. Is that still in effect?
Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your time and assistance,
You'll make it fine in an S75, but you might have to charge to near full and drive the speed limit, especially in the Springfield>Grants Pass direction which is uphill. And like the previous poster said, definitely override the 80% limit if it shows up.

If it were me, I'd charge to about 90% (charging above that is slooooow), which should give you at least 200 rated miles. Then start off driving the speed limit and speed up a little if it shows your arrival percentage is over 10% and climbing. The only thing that would get me to charge over 90% is bad weather, i.e. temps below 40F and/or a strong headwind. You're unlikely to encounter either next week.

• Helpful
Reactions: PNWLeccy and Duffer
I have done this stretch both ways many times with my MX75D and MS60. As PLUS EV says, as long as it's not very cold and there is no snow/wind you'll be fine.

With my old MS60 I'll often go slow initially (or draft behind a truck) until I build up a sufficient reserve. For additional peace of mind, you can check out the charging options on the way closer to Springfield on plugshare (L2s in Roseburg or Sutherlin, or L3/Chademo if you have an adapter), but it's unlikely you will need those.

• Helpful
Reactions: Duffer
Yup, drafting works. All EV's should be equiped with an air speed indicator. I have an air speed indicator on my truck that pulls my RV. I was quite surprized at how far behind a semi you can get a significant reduction in air speed vs ground speed. Side winds will negate the benefits.

It is also useful for head winds and tail winds.

• Helpful
Reactions: Duffer and PLUS EV
I wonder if you should check your ABRP settings for reference consumption, speed, extra weight, etc. That doesn't sound like too difficult of a gap to cover in a 75D. It is the longest remaining gap on I-5, but I've never come close to not being able to cover it on many trips through that area.

I wonder if you should check your ABRP settings for reference consumption, speed, extra weight, etc. That doesn't sound like too difficult of a gap to cover in a 75D. It is the longest remaining gap on I-5, but I've never come close to not being able to cover it on many trips through that area.
My initial attempt was using my "winter" (aka worst case) reference settings. Wet roads, 10 mph headwind, 50°F, and 500 extra pounds. With those settings the route detoured over to highway 101 at Crescent City(?) and returned to I-5 after going through Coos Bay.

My second attempt was plain vanilla S75D at 70 max with reduced speed if needed. With those settings the route between Grants Pass and Springfield was red and indicated that with a 90% departure charge my arrival at the Springfield SC would be less than 10%.

Northbound should consume less energy of the two so I thought it best to ask before I needed to start looking for a KOA campground hookup. ;)

Reactions: CalBlue 85D