Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Increasingly Frustrated with Oregon Supercharger Situation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been a happy Tesla owner for almost 2 years now, and we're considering a Model Y but we have our reservations that come down to traveling safely (and conveniently). I feel like we're being underserved with Superchargers for long-distance travel here in Oregon.

While the northwest area of the state is well covered, traveling east/west on I-84 and south on I-5 (south of Springfield) is not convenient and quite frankly not safe. There are multiple single-points of failure.

Specifically, traveling east/west on I-84 would be a non-starter with my family, with over 130 miles between superchargers (The Dalles and Pendleton, which are the old 150kW models) and literally nothing in-between. I would not feel comfortable traveling with my family in a Tesla along this route, which makes us hesitant to get a second Tesla and go all-electric.

Traveling south is equally inconvenient. There's nearly 140 miles between Springfield and Grants Pass (again, both are the old 150kW models). I understand there are planned Superchargers between this gap, but this has been the case for over 3 years with nothing to show for it.

I feel like we're on a bit of an island here in NW Oregon. I'm frustrated, and at this point, I'm leaning towards keeping our gas car as our main vehicle for traveling. Does anyone here share my frustrations? Is there any way to voice this to the Tesla Supercharger team?
What are you talking about? We have gone from Portland to Idaho multiple times in a mid range M3. Plenty of Supercharging along the Gorge.

Considering the rate of Tesla sales in Oregon, I would think Tesla would put up at least 16 stalls in Hood River. They can't expand at the current Dalles location and with Texas GF almost certainly opening within the next 6-12 months (ha??), in two years time the number of Tesla's on the road will be quite wild. So they need to future proof somewhere on Western I-84, particularly since the wind can mess with range so much.

Considering the rate of Tesla sales in Oregon, I would think Tesla would put up at least 16 stalls in Hood River. They can't expand at the current Dalles location and with Texas GF almost certainly opening within the next 6-12 months (ha??), in two years time the number of Tesla's on the road will be quite wild. So they need to future proof somewhere on Western I-84, particularly since the wind can mess with range so much.
Granted, future proofing of the Gorge should be something that is done sooner than later.

No way will hood River get 16 stalls, maybe 12 but I wouldn't be surprised to see 8. I don't think Tesla is interested in 'future proofing' right now, they're just trying to expand the network. If they were interested in future proofing we'd be seeing more pull through stalls and wider stalls in anticipation of the cyber truck and more Teslas towing things.

Hood River will make this corridor so much better, it wouldn't be such an issue if the Dalles was a bigger, more reliable location. But with only 5 stalls, often with some of those stalls down it makes the route more nerve wracking than it needs to be, especially heading West against a good headwind.

Reactions: bruce4000
as much as my wife and I would like hood river because it has excellent eateries, I would still argue Biggs Junction, from a strictly travel perspective makes the most sense (it has poor choices for food, but at least it has some, all closer than not-cousins in The Dalles).
  • 112 miles from the pendleton supercharger
  • 109 miles from the kennewick supercharger
  • 105 or 111 from the vancouver superchargers
  • 103 from the new portland one
  • 138 from the Bend supercharger
  • 81 miles from the yakima supercharger (along 97)
Hood River is a tough reach for SRs, SR+s, MRs, and older Ss from the east, especially with the notorious wind down the gorge. Biggs Junction also makes Bend doable from the east side without detouring to the Dalles, reduces the load on The Dalles drastically (everyone can use Biggs comfortably), and is a major junction in the highways.

I love Hood River and miss eating there on our way to (and from) Portland, but Biggs Junction seems to me to make far more sense for covering a weak part of their network - even better than Boardman (too short from the east, very far for the west). similar distances (for almost all within a couple of percent!), central, there is even space.

Last edited:
as much as my wife and I would like hood river because it has excellent eateries, I would still argue Biggs Junction, from a strictly travel perspective makes the most sense (it has poor choices for food, but at least it has some, all closer than not-cousins in The Dalles).
  • 112 miles from the pendleton supercharger
  • 109 miles from the kennewick supercharger
  • 105 or 111 from the vancouver superchargers
  • 103 from the new portland one
  • 138 from the Bend supercharger
  • 81 miles from the yakima supercharger (along 97)
Hood River is a tough reach for SRs, SR+s, MRs, and older Ss from the east, especially with the notorious wind down the gorge. Biggs Junction also makes Bend doable from the east side without detouring to the Dalles, reduces the load on The Dalles drastically (everyone can use Biggs comfortably), and is a major junction in the highways.

I love Hood River and miss eating there on our way to (and from) Portland, but Biggs Junction seems to me to make far more sense for covering a weak part of their network - even better than Boardman (too short from the east, very far for the west). similar distances (for almost all within a couple of percent!), central, there is even space.
I agree that Biggs would be a good spot, but hood River is already in the plans, so that one will happen. And with that one going in there won't be any drive to get one built in Biggs for a long time.

I agree that Biggs would be a good spot, but hood River is already in the plans, so that one will happen. And with that one going in there won't be any drive to get one built in Biggs for a long time.
which is really sad, because it makes far less sense for coverage and thus eliminating pre-ownership range anxiety, for selling less battery intensive cars, and moving towards the Mission.

Tesla seems adverse to owning property for superchargers for some reason. This would be an easy one. Even pretty cheap power.

Owning property for a SC? You realize in some areas they would need to buy 40 acres to install a supercharger? There are certain property size minimums and if an area is already developed, they may not be able to "peel off" and subdivide 2,000 sq ft to sell to Tesla.

Owning property for a SC? You realize in some areas they would need to buy 40 acres to install a supercharger? There are certain property size minimums and if an area is already developed, they may not be able to "peel off" and subdivide 2,000 sq ft to sell to Tesla.
I do, but as Shelby, MT has shown us, they are a bit resistant to just buying the land, even when it is a small area. They don't want the overhead. There is probably a good reason somewhere.

Hood River Supercharger being installed in the Hood River Safeway parking lot, near the McDonalds

IMG_6562.jpg

IMG_6563.jpg

IMG_6565.jpg

Hey all. I picked up a MYP last month and I've spent a good deal of time lurking here (and previously owned a Bolt so am familiar with EV charging). I have a trip from Portland to Spokane (well, Cheney actually) coming up next month and am now going to be one of those people that are now using the Dalles and tri-cities Superchargers.

I too would feel a lot better about this trip if there was a charger in Biggs Junction, just in case. How full are The Dalles / Tri-cities going to be during the day on a thursday? I'm guessing the return trip on Sunday is going to be a nightmare...if so anyone know when the peak periods are (as in, most likely to have all chargers in use). Noon to 5pm kind of thing or does it run later than that?

Hey all. I picked up a MYP last month and I've spent a good deal of time lurking here (and previously owned a Bolt so am familiar with EV charging). I have a trip from Portland to Spokane (well, Cheney actually) coming up next month and am now going to be one of those people that are now using the Dalles and tri-cities Superchargers.

I too would feel a lot better about this trip if there was a charger in Biggs Junction, just in case. How full are The Dalles / Tri-cities going to be during the day on a thursday? I'm guessing the return trip on Sunday is going to be a nightmare...if so anyone know when the peak periods are (as in, most likely to have all chargers in use). Noon to 5pm kind of thing or does it run later than that?
Should be fine on Thursday especially now that summer travel season is over. Sunday is more questionable but I wouldn't worry about it too much. And yeah none of these "highway" type superchargers are ever busy after dark. Mostly just Friday afternoon/evening and Sunday afternoons and occasionally Saturdays although the busy times seem to be more spread out on Saturdays.

Also with a brand new Y, you can probably just drive Portland to Kennewick without charging if you are willing to drive the speed limit. Just try to charge to near full. It could be tougher on the way back as there tends to be a headwind in that direction. And it will be tougher still when you experience the inevitable 5-10% battery degradation that seems to happen in the first year or two of ownership, but hopefully by then the new one in Hood River will be open.

I have a trip from Portland to Spokane (well, Cheney actually) coming up next month and am now going to be one of those people that are now using the Dalles and tri-cities Superchargers.
but hopefully by then the new one in Hood River will be open.
From seeing the pictures of how far along the construction already is on Hood River, I would be pretty optimistic that it's running by next month.