Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I am disabling Autolock (Goodbye Autolock)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do people always do this? Obviously, you can quibble with the specific scenario laid out by OP, but it is a perfectly reasonable feature request. I too would like to be able to leave my car unlocked inside my garage -- it a feature that many have asked for and pointing out that it would be better if teenagers didn't leave stuff in the car seems spectacularly unhelpful. I've had it happen several times that I've left something in the trunk when out shopping and I go back to the car to retrieve it without the key, curse, go back inside and get the key and then retrieve my stuff.
Agree that - asking the kids to remember will help. I am not against the request for the feature, because I also want it myself. In fact, I suggested other possibilities of implementing no auto-lock inside garage. I never lock my previous car inside my garage, but wanted auto-lock to always be enabled when not in my garage.

I needed to keep my car unlocked in the garage before and I've done that by getting out of the car, single-tapping the keyfob to lock, and then double-tapping the keyfob to unlock. The handles will retract but the car remains unlocked.

I agree, and I wish this was automatic for my garage / wifi location.

I've fixed this process for me by reading another post about this on the site here. Per the manual when I exit the car in my garage I double click the fob which puts the car into a garage unlocked state. Then I'm free to get things out of the car, open the doors to wash/dry, etc, without needing to remember to key fob.

Double click your fob and your car will remain unlocked until the next time your brake pedal is depressed

This used to be the case. ... but Tesla "fixed" things so that now the car locks itself, no matter what.
Double clicking to open the car will open the car... but then after a couple minutes. Handles go in and it's locked.
If you don't have the fob on you, touching the handles will do nothing. The car is locked.

It used to be that a double click unlock would persist. Not any more.

I find this new approach a royal pain.

One of the minor features I really like about my Model S is the Autolock. Park somewhere and just walk away. Very cool, very useful.

The ugly downside of this feature, though, is that the car auto locks itself in your garage too. Which drives everyone in the family nuts. A kid leaves their backpack in the car, and has to search out me or a car key to open the car up. My wife especially hates it.

It would be really nice if Tesla could come out with a GPS enabled autolock. Until then, I am going to have to disable the feature...

It does drive me nuts as well. But to compromise for the moment, i use the Tesla App on all my phone and apple watch. So can unlock it w/o the FOB

Where do you keep your fobs? I keep mine on the other side of the wall from the nose of the car - I have a key/wallet dish where mine is placed. Even though the handles retract, if I touch them while I'm out there, the car will unlock and present them. If that's a reasonable workaround, you could give it a try.

Hi. how did you solve this problem? My key dish is also close to the car and the car remains in an unlocked state while in the driveway all night. Im reluctant to move the key dish since it has other keys as well.

• Informative
Reactions: Destiny1701
Hi. how did you solve this problem? My key dish is also close to the car and the car remains in an unlocked state while in the driveway all night. Im reluctant to move the key dish since it has other keys as well.
It's not an issue for me, really, since my cars are in a garage and we're on a country property with a gate.

Others have put their keys in a Faraday cage - you can find them on Amazon or other retailers.

Any good with programming? You probably don't even have to be good (I certainly am not) but need to know how to modify a script. This guy programmed one of those Amazon "I'm out of Gatorade" buttons to turn on his Tesla's AC. No reason you couldn't have it unlock the door. Then you just mount this little button next to the exit door to the garage.

Watch: Amazon Dash buttons control Tesla temperature - UPI.com

Link to download script is in the video description.
This is what I've done. I've modified this approach slightly so that hitting the dash button will turn on AC, unlock car, and honk horn (as confirmation). It's very useful in the mornings when trying to load up kids, etc, especially when it's hot out.