Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I am frankly shocked by how stunningly ugly the Cybertruck is

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In April Tesla recalled under 4k cybertrucks, which was the entirety of the fleet. Specifically 3878 cybertrucks produced until April 4th. They did not sell 6000 in a few weeks since then.

Before the recall, they instituted a stop-ship, and the trucks piled up.

teslas-cybertruck-disaster-insider-reveals-serious-safety-v0-3_1PjOZXwQqLXMU1eW7SrW3944Wlpgjam3kubQsJx1Q.jpg

You don't issue a recall for vehicles you haven't shipped yet.

And I realize that VINs are not required to be sequential, but they mostly are, and there are multiple VINs reported in the 8000, 9000, and 10000 range on the owner's registry.

teslas-cybertruck-disaster-insider-reveals-serious-safety-v0-3_1PjOZXwQqLXMU1eW7SrW3944Wlpgjam3kubQsJx1Q.jpg

And I realize that VINs are not required to be sequential, but they mostly are, and there are multiple VINs reported in the 8000, 9000, and 10000 range on the owner's registry.

Notice how many of those vins above 4000 are for vehicles delivered in January. Despite having delivered less than 4k by April. They skipped some numbers.

That doesn’t mean they’re doing that consistently. They chose their words carefully.

Perhaps, but it does mean you were completely wrong when you said "They're not building 1k a week", because they actually, literally did. Perhaps you should choose your words carefully as well? Do you still stand behind your assertion that 10,000 units this year is un-possible?

Look despite how ugly it was, the Pontiac Aztek sold quite a bit. That same silhouette has now inspired the swoopy SUV trend that includes the Model X & Y.

Who knows we might see a new trend here. :oops:
“Pontiac sold around 119,000 Azteks from 2001 to 2005, with the best-selling year being 2002 with 27,793 sales”

Well I’ll be damned

Look despite how ugly it was, the Pontiac Aztek sold quite a bit. That same silhouette has now inspired the swoopy SUV trend that includes the Model X & Y.

Who knows we might see a new trend here. :oops:
I don't agree the Aztek was the inspiration for the swoopy SUV. Although it had a rear slope, the Aztek was boxy/bulky and nothing like the aerodynamic look of the coupe SUV trend.

The inspiration for the Coupe SUV is the BMW X6.
Coupe SUV - Wikipedia

The only thing that the Aztek shares with Model X in a very roundabout way is that the Aztek was built on a Minivan platform, and the X was designed with doors for narrow parking spaces (like a minivan).

While it still sold quite a few units, it was a sales failure given it need to sell 30k units a year to break even and it sold significantly less than that.

Its corporate cousin with different styling sold drastically better:
Buick Rendezvous - Wikipedia

Last edited:
I really like the simplicity of the Cybertruck looks, much like all Tesla designs, only with straight (er) lines.
It shows elegant execution of functional aspects and less dodads and gewgaws.
Design and engineering working together.
Kudos to Lars, Drew, Pete, David and Franz !

The 15+ year march of bigger grilles, and hoods that go on for ever, ( that make it more difficult to see !) and "focus group" type competition of catchy DRLs, the "Big 3's" pickups look gaudy to me. The phrase "lipstick on a pig" comes to mind. ;) YMMV

Kind Regards

Reactions: Skavatar
First four wheel truck/car I have got the wave from the motorcycle crowd. Very often now. A few I know also have reservations.

@terranx when did looks have anything to do with a recall? You might be that guy sitting in the plaid the other day fake reading the paper at the supercharger as 12 people crowded the truck taking pics. I let the mob take the truck as I laughed at the fake reader of the paper. So ugly you have to comment on it.

Let's stay on topic. How ugly it is.

Edit add. See I look at the right and see ugly, not well thought out and style changes of less than 1% per year since 1935. Capability and efficiency little lately.

PXL_20240316_010840424~2.jpg

Own both ^ :p

Last edited:
It’s the Hummer H2 of the 2020s and will likely follow a similar sales trajectory.

Just a passing fad, something to be seen in for people that need to be seen. Anyone who seriously thinks Tesla is going to sell millions of these things is deluded.

Reactions: TessP100D
The Cybertruck is not an exercise in styling, but more to answer "What if?" questions.

What if you could build a working truck, without a body stamping plant, paint shop, gas/diesel burning engine, transmission, exhaust pipes and multi speed transmissions. Make it bullet proof, more aerodynamic, enclosed and lighted bed with motorized disappearing toneau cover. Give if a futuristic look, be highly scratch resistant and tough. Provide 4 wheel steering, advanced 48 V electronics, hidden charging ports and door openers, on board source for both 120V and 240V systems, enough to power a welder or jobsite tools. Make it unique enough so that everybody would know who you are when you arrived, look like no other truck. Give it seating for 5 guys with tool belts, easy clean interior. Make it appealing enough so that everyone on Earth would instantly recognize it at a glance. Give it World Class torque, beginning at Zero RPM. Make it garner hundreds of thousand of pre-orders, equip it with a heat pump, connect it to the internet, make it self driving and still quiet enough to carry on normal conversations at speed.

Plan for the futures, so it's built in battery pack was large enough to power your entire home for days, in the case of a utility outage. Be strong enough to provide safe and secure transportation for yourself, your family and co-workers. Design it to be built by robots, both big and small, plus install a whole car air filter that will protect occupants, even in the event of biological attack. Give it great off roading capabilities, smooth riding and versitile air suspensions, lowest center of gravity for handling and roll over protection. As a bonus, enable it to self pressurize it's battery compartment, to enable transiting even deep water.

Future proof it, making it capable of driving on Mars

Sell it direct to the consumer, eliminating shifty legacy dealerships, their sales people and flashy dressing sales managers.

This is CyberTruck.
You’re living in a dream world… it’s ok though.

6 years in design and planning and yet still they can’t make them ready to sell.