Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I am now planning to get the full self-driving option and here is why

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm actually waiting for some sort of class action lawsuit over this and am actually a bit surprised we haven't seen one already. I'm not a lawyer, but my guess is that because of the way they worded it combined with the fact that they are continuing to work (and make progress) on FSD it's enough to hold things off.

My question is, if you pay for FSD with the promise that it will be provided once available and it doesn't become available for 12+ years, is Tesla at all liable since they didn't provide the service within the expected/typical lifespan of the car?

Reactions: 2101Guy
I've been saying it since FSD began. In this thread in Feb 2018. Why amateur? TSLA was a better investment than FSD option all around. If TSLA goes to 0, FSD value goes to 0 (feature probably stops working without Tesla servers permanently online). If FSD is in fact achieved TSLA price skyrockets. In other situation, FSD is still a party trick but TSLA stock you can sell and get some money back, possible (as it turned out in this case), a whole new Model S worth.
It was a joke. Putting $3k into Tesla stock late 2016 would only get you 20x your investment. Taking my advice I’m August 2019 would have gotten you 282x. :p

Reactions: Dr. J
I'm actually waiting for some sort of class action lawsuit over this and am actually a bit surprised we haven't seen one already. I'm not a lawyer, but my guess is that because of the way they worded it combined with the fact that they are continuing to work (and make progress) on FSD it's enough to hold things off.

My question is, if you pay for FSD with the promise that it will be provided once available and it doesn't become available for 12+ years, is Tesla at all liable since they didn't provide the service within the expected/typical lifespan of the car?
Their fine print says they are ok as long as they are working on it. So if anyone tries to sue, all they have to say is that they are working on it and that anyone buying it saw the fine print in the design studio. At some point Tesla will announce the older cars are no longer in a safe condition to be allowed to self drive, blame it on regulations which will require autonomous cars to be in minimum shape, have some required safety features which Tesla "could not have predicted the lawmakers would require". 100 years from now, inflation will also make sure Tesla will outgrow the FSD debt on the books - they will announce anyone who paid for it 100 year prior and still owns the car can apply to get their money back, but by then the $10K will be worth about what $500 is today (if we assume inflation over next 100 years will be what it was last 100 years) and they will be able to pay that out of just one year worth of interest on the $10K.