Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I cannot believe the phone call I just received.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nothing in your comment even hinted at it being not serious. Maybe add an emoticon next time.

An On-Board charger and supercharge eligibility aren't easily modified by third parties.

You obviously haven't been around here very long. Yes, they are. Installing a second on-board charger is about as easy as brake job, and there are several third parties that can and do do it. These same parties can also enable supercharging, but they usually don't offer that as a service, but it is easily done.

but even then it's not an identifiable trait that's important to insurance / law enforcement.

You're the one arguing against yourself here. In many ICE cars, engine size and transmission are encoded in the VIN, which is obviously very important to insurance companies. Yet, people swap motors in their driveways all the time (i.e. "easily modified"). Not illegal.

Nothing in your comment even hinted at it being not serious. Maybe add an emoticon next time.

You obviously haven't been around here very long. Yes, they are. Installing a second on-board charger is about as easy as brake job, and there are several third parties that can and do do it. These same parties can also enable supercharging, but they usually don't offer that as a service, but it is easily done.

You're the one arguing against yourself here. In many ICE cars, engine size and transmission are encoded in the VIN, which is obviously very important to insurance companies. Yet, people swap motors in their driveways all the time (i.e. "easily modified"). Not illegal.

Again I just said just, not illegal, but an easily identified trait and importance for insurance / law enforcement. And you’re now arguing engine size. Of course that’s important, as insurance rates vary immensely based on engine size and power, and this is nothing related to what I’ve mentioned. You’re still arguing with yourself.

Teslas are produced in batches. They don’t build one with your name on it. Your SA matches a car to you as they come in. Likely he screwed up and matched you to the wrong color car. So he makes up some BS story for CYA purposes. One in which it is not his fault of course.