Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I cannot register my “new” model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Called the DC this morning and they said they are working with the DMV to clear things up.
Awesome. Please post with result. If you get your car registered and the issue is cleared up you can definitely file for your tax credit. Again, if rejected by IRS go to Tesla and make them make you whole. They sold you a NEW car, per your paperwork and everything you were told. That credit is yours and no one else's. Certainly not the lady who bought then returned it.

Awesome. Please post with result. If you get your car registered and the issue is cleared up you can definitely file for your tax credit. Again, if rejected by IRS go to Tesla and make them make you whole. They sold you a NEW car, per your paperwork and everything you were told. That credit is yours and no one else's. Certainly not the lady who bought then returned it.

Yes, please do. That really is a scary situation and I hope it all works out in your favor - I want to read that it has!

As of today they are supposed to buy the model 3 back from me for the original purchase price. It's been a long process. They asked me if i wanted a replacement but as of right now I have a p3d- on order but will most likely cancel because this ordeal has been a headache.

Reactions: super20g
As of today they are supposed to buy the model 3 back from me for the original purchase price. It's been a long process. They asked me if i wanted a replacement but as of right now I have a p3d- on order but will most likely cancel because this ordeal has been a headache.

Wow, so they couldn't fix it with the DMV.

Well, I am glad they are taking care of you, and I understand the desire to hold off on another Tesla purchase. They don't really have their stuff together right now.

I wonder if tesla can slap a new VIN on it and then sell it as new or at least register-able.

That seems....like it should be illegal if it is not. I think the VIN is stamped elsewhere on the car frame to prevent that kind of fraud from sellers as well as to help police identify stolen vehicles. That car might get flagged later because of a VIN mismatch like that.

I would guess that car is going to the Used listings, as it should. It is now both a used car AND a buyback.

What about sales tax? Are they going to be reimbursing you for that?

I've read numerous stories online of people in this same issue. It seems that Tesla thought they could sell returned vehicles as new but upon further consideration have determined that they in fact cannot do so.

I completely agree that it's a total headache dealing with the purchase process, especially one as complicated as yours.

But when you finally drive it off of the lot, with all the mess behind you, the feeling is just... well.. amazing. You take this deep breath, let it out, and then you feel the car respond to your every whim. There's just no other car out there that gives this type of feeling. You feel like the car becomes another appendage; it does what you want it to do without even thinking about it.

Going through Tesla's purchase process is just "the price you pay" for such an experience.

Yes, the purchase process sucks. But when I go out in the garage and get in the car, I have zero regrets.

IMO, you shouldn't cancel your order. After buying my Model 3, there is just no way I could ever consider buying any other car brand again. Ever. I'm even waiting to buy a pickup truck (that our family "needs") until Tesla finishes the "Truckla".

I initially wanted to buy the car for all the high tech autopilot, FSD, etc. features. But now that I own it, I want to drive it manually all the time. It's so much fun to drive that I don't want the computer to have all the fun.

Stick it out. In the end you'll be very happy you did.

Yes they are going to refund my sales tax also. I tried to find any
What about sales tax? Are they going to be reimbursing you for that?

I've read numerous stories online of people in this same issue. It seems that Tesla thought they could sell returned vehicles as new but upon further consideration have determined that they in fact cannot do so.

Yes they are going to refund my sales tax too. I tried to find other stories online similar to mind but was unsuccessful.

I completely agree that it's a total headache dealing with the purchase process, especially one as complicated as yours.

But when you finally drive it off of the lot, with all the mess behind you, the feeling is just... well.. amazing. You take this deep breath, let it out, and then you feel the car respond to your every whim. There's just no other car out there that gives this type of feeling. You feel like the car becomes another appendage; it does what you want it to do without even thinking about it.

Going through Tesla's purchase process is just "the price you pay" for such an experience.

Yes, the purchase process sucks. But when I go out in the garage and get in the car, I have zero regrets.

IMO, you shouldn't cancel your order. After buying my Model 3, there is just no way I could ever consider buying any other car brand again. Ever. I'm even waiting to buy a pickup truck (that our family "needs") until Tesla finishes the "Truckla".

I initially wanted to buy the car for all the high tech autopilot, FSD, etc. features. But now that I own it, I want to drive it manually all the time. It's so much fun to drive that I don't want the computer to have all the fun.

Stick it out. In the end you'll be very happy you did.

I want to stick it out but the longer this drags out the harder it is for me to do it again. The car is amazing but with customer service like this I just cant. Just never knowing what is going on with anything. Just getting to this point was a hundred phone calls to about a dozen different people. And numerous emails and voicemails that never I never got a response to. I just dont want to go through it again if something was to go wrong with the new vehicle.

I want to stick it out but the longer this drags out the harder it is for me to do it again. The car is amazing but with customer service like this I just cant. Just never knowing what is going on with anything. Just getting to this point was a hundred phone calls to about a dozen different people. And numerous emails and voicemails that never I never got a response to. I just dont want to go through it again if something was to go wrong with the new vehicle.

There are starting to be some used Model 3s available. If you wait a year you will have a good selection to choose from, and no worries about tax credits or registration. It is ALWAYS smarter to buy a used car than a new one. You let someone else take that first year of depreciation. You have to miss out on driving an EV for a year, but maybe that's not a problem if you aren't used to it yet. Once you drive an EV you'll put up with ANY service, no matter how bad!

There are starting to be some used Model 3s available. If you wait a year you will have a good selection to choose from, and no worries about tax credits or registration. It is ALWAYS smarter to buy a used car than a new one. You let someone else take that first year of depreciation. You have to miss out on driving an EV for a year, but maybe that's not a problem if you aren't used to it yet. Once you drive an EV you'll put up with ANY service, no matter how bad!

I disagree with this statement. "ALWAYS" is pretty darn strong and complete - no exceptions. If you used, "Sometimes," I could agree (not that anyone cares or should care, just saying). I "ALWAYS" buy new. Why? Because I can, because I want to, and because I don't want to take any chances as to why the one year old car is for sale already...

Life is short... You can always make more money, but you can't make more time....

I've bought new and I have bought CPO's and I've bought used beaters as a work vehicle. To each their own. I was ready to get the return process and new vehicle delivery done in one transaction. Trust me I dont want to cancel my new P3D but at this point I just dont want it. I got a lot of flack from my coworkers when I bought it but when they drove in it they were very impressed. I work at an oil refinery so you can just imagine all the weird looks i get when I pull up in my Tesla lol. Now I have to give it back and explain to everyone why I no longer drive it to work.

I disagree with this statement. "ALWAYS" is pretty darn strong and complete - no exceptions. If you used, "Sometimes," I could agree (not that anyone cares or should care, just saying). I "ALWAYS" buy new. Why? Because I can, because I want to, and because I don't want to take any chances as to why the one year old car is for sale already...

Life is short... You can always make more money, but you can't make more time....

Ok, I just meant financially. I've bought two Model Ss brand new. I'm not being critical of anyone, just saying it is always smarter from a financial point of view to buy a used car rather than a new one. And if you disagree, good for you, you are certainly entitled to your opinion and may be right. This is my opinion and I'm entitled to it.

Ok, I just meant financially. I've bought two Model Ss brand new. I'm not being critical of anyone, just saying it is always smarter from a financial point of view to buy a used car rather than a new one. And if you disagree, good for you, you are certainly entitled to your opinion and may be right. This is my opinion and I'm entitled to it.

My late mother the accountant once told me "Financially, you don't need a tractor; but genetically, you probably do".

• Funny
Reactions: brkaus and Phlier