Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I can't locate a very annoying rattle.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model 3 has been developing a very annoying rattle over the last few months. It's something I have never heard of before... and it's starting to annoy me :)

Unfortunately I can't pin point its exact location but I believe it's coming from inside the cabine around the rear right side. I've tried to reproduce it by touching all the different pieces in the car without any luck.

Please have a look at the video to hear it.

Any idea what could cause this rattle?
It’s your rear speaker deck.

I had a similar rattle from the rear passenger side when driving over pumps.

mine was the plastic inside the wheel well over the back side of right rear wheel. When parked I could walk over and push it with my hand and it would move about a cm and then contact the body I guess. Then when I let go it went back to a hanging position. The wind at higher speed would shake that piece of plastic and inside the car it sounded similar to yours.

my left one is not loose. Only the right. I shoved a nitrile glove in the gap behind the plastic and jammed it in there. Now it doesn’t rattle.

I was able to locate it. it's actually coming from the front right passenger, between the roof window and the body of the car.

Imgur

I'm not able to reproduce it when poking around the trims. Hence, it must be something behind the trim rattling. Could even be the window touching the body panel as I had it replaced when I got the car because it wasn't flush.

I will bring the car for service on Tuesday. Let's see what Tesla says about it.

None of these rattles annoys me more (they do, just the lesser of all evils) than the flexing sound of the car's roof when you get on the driveway. Side windows pop, roof jars, even doors buck, all depending on the approach. It feels like the car's structural strength is like that of a convertible.

Try buckling the front passenger seat belt. The buckle has a tendency to rattle against the side of the seat... see if that clears it up. Worth a shot - nice and easy.

I have noticed this as well. The passenger seatbelt buckle can get twisted and the plastic part starts hitting against the door. You can untwist it and it will stop rattling. I’ve also noticed if you have something hitting the top of the inside of your trunk it can cause a metallic sounding rattle (like zipper from a coat or something).

Reactions: dmurphy
I've got a similar noise and eventually traced it to the trunk lid sitting a bit low on the right hand side so the hinge rubs on this adjustment bolt head. You can see the mark in the paint where its been rubbing.
20191223_070334.jpg
I have a service appointment in February to have it sorted. In the meantime I've put some tape on the bolt head.

Check your rearfacing side cameras. My passenger side one was loose. Pushing on it made a slight noise that I assume intensifies with 70+ mph winds and gusts. It shouldn't rock at all and if it does, be suspicious.

None of these rattles annoys me more (they do, just the lesser of all evils) than the flexing sound of the car's roof when you get on the driveway. Side windows pop, roof jars, even doors buck, all depending on the approach. It feels like the car's structural strength is like that of a convertible.
I don't think it's lack of structural strength causing your issues...saw a recent thread about a wheel falling off a Model 3 and chassis was so strong the rotor didn't even hit the ground. Never heard any flex from my roof...rear seat latches made some noise when going over uneven surfaces and that was easly remedied as was a bit of noise from the trunk lid, all of which could be mistaken for chassis flex.

I don't think it's lack of structural strength causing your issues...saw a recent thread about a wheel falling off a Model 3 and chassis was so strong the rotor didn't even hit the ground. Never heard any flex from my roof...rear seat latches made some noise when going over uneven surfaces and that was easly remedied as was a bit of noise from the trunk lid, all of which could be mistaken for chassis flex.

I would say anything close to the bottom pan is strong, including suspension. I don't know about pillars and frame that sits on top.

I got the Tesla service estimation and they want to charge me $190 to diagnose the issue...

Update on the issue. I went on a test drive with a technician that was able to identify the issue. He also said it's mostly likely coming from a manufacturing debris coming from inside the pillar. However, Tesla did not want to waive the $195 fee to diagnose the issue and to fix it.

So I walked away...

Update on the issue. I went on a test drive with a technician that was able to identify the issue. He also said it's mostly likely coming from a manufacturing debris coming from inside the pillar. However, Tesla did not want to waive the $195 fee to diagnose the issue and to fix it.

So I walked away...
If it's actual debris in the B-pillar, then you can take off the panel and remove the debris yourself for free.