Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I can't locate a very annoying rattle.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
rear seat latches made some noise when going over uneven surfaces and that was easly remedied
I have the same issue with the rear seat latches/handles rattling over uneven surfaces. I took it in and they said there was no fix but it was with the engineering team to investigate further if they see issue on other cars.

What was the description for the fix on your invoice?

Update on the issue. I went on a test drive with a technician that was able to identify the issue. He also said it's mostly likely coming from a manufacturing debris coming from inside the pillar. However, Tesla did not want to waive the $195 fee to diagnose the issue and to fix it.

So I walked away...

How long have you owned the car? Is this covered under the warranty?

How long have you owned the car? Is this covered under the warranty?

I got the car in October 2018 but had the rattles from pretty much the beginning. It started to become annoying like 6 months ago. I'm out of luck despite having mentioned the rattle during another service appointment last October...

I might have considered to pay for it but on top of that, they wanted to keep the car for 10 days.... It's crazy because the technician said it would be one hour of work max... Tesla really needs to fix their service centers...

I have the same issue with the rear seat latches/handles rattling over uneven surfaces. I took it in and they said there was no fix but it was with the engineering team to investigate further if they see issue on other cars.

What was the description for the fix on your invoice?
I fixed it myself in about a minute based on what I've read on this forum. Placed a strip of cloth tape over the metal loop, done. The latch is just a little bit loose and the tape snugs it up.

I fixed it myself in about a minute based on what I've read on this forum. Placed a strip of cloth tape over the metal loop, done. The latch is just a little bit loose and the tape snugs it up.
Hm I think mine is actually coming from the rear seat lift handles on each side. The plastic handle rattles if tapped on whether it is latched or unlatched but especially when the rear seats are down.

I know he said it was debris but have a passenger ride along and hold the seat belt adjuster by their shoulder. Those make noise often.

I have two annoying creaks. The first is the center console rattle that you can stop by pressing down on the phone holder section. I havent found a way to stop it so I will probably just bring it to service. The second is a weird creaking that almost sounds like removing something that had adhesive. It happens when I accelerate from a stop. It appears to be coming from the passenger A pillar area.

The rear seat red bolt is where my rattle was coming from a year ago: I tightened it and now we are all good.

Seat Bolt.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-1-22_13-4-42.png
    upload_2020-1-22_13-4-42.png
    381.8 KB · Views: 84
Where exactly is that and how exactly do you access that?

I took out the rear seat cushion and the bolts are sitting right there.

The rear cushion is extremely easy to remove. There are 2 things to slide ( one on the drivers side and one on the passengers side ) front and the seat cushion releases. Then you can see the bolts that secure the seat backs.

RearSeatCushion.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-1-22_13-45-30.png
    upload_2020-1-22_13-45-30.png
    559.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC
I took out the rear seat cushion and its sitting right there. The rear cushion is extremely easy to remove. There are 2 things to slide ( one on the drivers side and one on the passengers side ) front and the seat cushion releases. Then you can see the bolts that secure the seat backs.

View attachment 503235

I might give that a go if I can't track the rattle down to the latching part. I'll drive around with the seats down and see if they rattle. If they do maybe I'll remove the cushion... but I'm always worried putting things back will either cause another rattle or not fit as snug, etc.

I found where the noise is coming! The top window is slightly moving up and down when I push on it with my finger. And when it does, it makes the noise... Not sure if this is related but Tesla had to replace this window shortly after delivery because the front and rear roof windows were not flush.

I scheduled another appointment with Tesla SF but I'm worried they will tell me it's not covered by the warranty because it's considered a rattle. What do you guys think?

take off the door panels and secure everything behind there with tape. I had a similar noise in the front passenger door. The place where the speaker grille meets the door panel was rattling. I taped it with some tesa tape and it is gone
I have a similar issue where when I play certain frequencies via the speaker i get a high frequency vibration/rattle coming from near front driver and passenger side windows. I use the trax app > Wind instrument > Ocharina > then hold a few notes around C3 gets it to vibrate for me. When I pull the leather door panel away from the plastic door pocket it seems to go away. I' m not sure how to fix this except by maybe jamming some felt tape between the plastic door pocket and the outside door panel (which is very difficult because it is so tight)
maybe this will help ....
I am wondering if the foam on the door panel speakers described in this video would fix my issue described above.

Hm I think mine is actually coming from the rear seat lift handles on each side. The plastic handle rattles if tapped on whether it is latched or unlatched but especially when the rear seats are down.
I have now had the rear sear handles replaced but i've found the real source of the rattle. It looks like on the rear passenger side, the black plastic housing for the seatbelt near the rear triangle window is rattling for me. Does anyone have any ideas how to fix that?

Reactions: dgb62
It’s your rear speaker deck.
So what's the best way to isolate and fix that noise?

I've got a very similar creaking noise that only shows up when driving off after the car's been sitting in the sun for a while. Very noticeable at slow speeds driving through parking lots and in/out of driveways as the car flexes.

After the car cools off, the sound is greatly diminished, but it seems to be slowly getting worse...