Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I can't wait for the next update! Phantom braking is driving me nuts.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not it didn't. I'm sure that's what it felt like, but those numbers don't work. Best case braking for passenger tires on warm, dry pavement (and this is winter, and there's snow on the ground in VA!) is about 0.7G, or 15 mph/sec. Getting down 35 mph thus takes a little more than two full seconds, with the ABS fully engaged and hearing rubber squealing at the edges of your grip. It didn't take you two seconds to get your foot to the pedal; typical reaction time in an emergency is about 1/4 to 1/8th of that.
Sometimes I just let it (phantom) brake for a while to see if it can recover, if there's no one around. Maybe they waited 2 seconds for the heck of it?

I can imagine that might be what they did.

Not it didn't. I'm sure that's what it felt like, but those numbers don't work. Best case braking for passenger tires on warm, dry pavement (and this is winter, and there's snow on the ground in VA!) is about 0.7G, or 15 mph/sec. Getting down 35 mph thus takes a little more than two full seconds, with the ABS fully engaged and hearing rubber squealing at the edges of your grip. It didn't take you two seconds to get your foot to the pedal; typical reaction time in an emergency is about 1/4 to 1/8th of that.

Everyone who drives a vision only Tesla doesn't view braking for no reason to be an emergency unless they know that there is traffic behind them, so a "F you Elon" may be shouted before you actually press down on the accelerator. Sometimes I let it go as long as the car wants just to see how stupid the system is.

In fact, I suspect that laservet allowed the car to slow, waiting for it to stop braking for no reason to see how bad this particular phantom brake event was before he decided to press the accelerator... when it got down to 40 mph with no sign that the car realized it was NOT an emergency brake situation he pressed the accelerator to avoid driving 40 mph on the highway.

Keith

PS: I am not saying "yes it did" calling you out on a lie... but you sure did call laservert out on this as it it were a lie...

Reactions: BogStandard
PS: I am not saying "yes it did" calling you out on a lie... but you sure did call laservert out on this as it it were a lie...
It was pretty clearly a wild exaggeration. The claim was he was going to get rear-ended, which certainly sounds like an emergency.

Frankly I see this a lot: people experience hard braking for 300ms or whatever, and it's surely scary. But that maneuver changes your cars speed by 5mph or so! It's just not "unsafe" in the way that a lot of people tend to assume. Cars stomp on their brakes under human control in traffic all the time, and we all get by.

It's just a meme. Everyone gets clicks and upvotes and agreement if they shout "phantom braking", and so everyone comes to believe this is some kind of horrific safety issue and not just the control authority tuning glitch that it is. I mean, I'm up to maybe 800 miles under FSD control now, and I've seen my share of "phantom braking" events. I've never once seen the car come to a near stop in highway traffic or otherwise place itself in harms way doing this. It just jerks you around and scares your passengers.

• Love
Reactions: WhiteWi
It was pretty clearly a wild exaggeration. The claim was he was going to get rear-ended, which certainly sounds like an emergency.

Frankly I see this a lot: people experience hard braking for 300ms or whatever, and it's surely scary. But that maneuver changes your cars speed by 5mph or so! It's just not "unsafe" in the way that a lot of people tend to assume. Cars stomp on their brakes under human control in traffic all the time, and we all get by.

It's just a meme. Everyone gets clicks and upvotes and agreement if they shout "phantom braking", and so everyone comes to believe this is some kind of horrific safety issue and not just the control authority tuning glitch that it is. I mean, I'm up to maybe 800 miles under FSD control now, and I've seen my share of "phantom braking" events. I've never once seen the car come to a near stop in highway traffic or otherwise place itself in harms way doing this. It just jerks you around and scares your passengers.

He never said there was a car behind him, he said that he hit the accelerator to avoid getting rear ended... I interpret that to mean "if I am doing 40 mph on the highway and the car continues to slow down, eventually someone is going to come up behind me"... it is a lot easier to write "I hit the accelerator to avoid being rear-ended". I hope laservert clarifies this in a future post.

Keith

Where would you suggest this go? Did you use the "Report' feature to try and get it moved?

Perhaps there should be a dedicated subforum for Autopilot/FSD related issues.
Already exist

Yes, you want to suppress all thoughts of vision only system not being perfect, so you want to shuffle them off to an area that nobody reads... but since reporting the thread didn't work, you can accept the moderators decision and just not read the threads that make you sad. Have you asked them to lock the thread yet? I figure that is your next step.

Keith

• Disagree
Reactions: WhiteWi
Yes, you want to suppress all thoughts of vision only system not being perfect, so you want to shuffle them off to an area that nobody reads... but since reporting the thread didn't work, you can accept the moderators decision and just not read the threads that make you sad. Have you asked them to lock the thread yet? I figure that is your next step.

Keith
Lol I didn’t report anything. But yeah keep it going. Also thanks for advice. Reported

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Lonewulf45
??? What are you ranting about? I never said it took two seconds for it to decelerate to 40. That's a fabrication on your part, don't attribute it to me.

Others understood what I said, not sure why you had such trouble. The car decelerated hard, and unlike all the previous phantom braking events in which it decelerated 10-15 mph and then ceased decelerating, in this case it continued to decelerate hard. While it would have been interesting to see if it was going to bring itself to a complete stop, traffic traveling at 75-80 mph including an 18 wheeler in my lane was coming up behind me and it wouldn't have been safe to allow it to continue to decelerate. So I accelerated back to speed but I had to continue to press the accelerator because even though navigate on autopilot was still engaged the car decelerated hard again each time I took my foot off the accelerator. That is completely different behavior than it has shown when phantom braking in the past, in all the other episodes I could accelerate back to speed and the car would continue at that speed without braking a second time.

Not sure where you got that 2 second nonsense, maybe you're having a bad day.

Last edited:

It pretty clearly was a wild exaggeration on your part. Where did you get the 2 second thing? I certainly made no claim, you just made that up. As far as getting rear ended, driving 40 and still decelerating hard in the fast lane of the interstate when traffic is going 75-80 mph is quite likely to get one rear ended.

Again, this was clearly not like the phantom braking I have experienced in the past.

Where did you get the 2 second thing?
Math.

Look, if you really were about to get hit then post a video, the car has a 360 degree dash cam available at the push of a button. If the car merely braked hard and you let it, you weren't "about to get rear ended" and I think it's borderline irresponsible to say so, because it leads people to believe that a system under your affirmative control was unsafe for other drivers.