Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I challenged the dragon (Wales).. and I lost!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a small network of 50kw chargers (Dragon Charging) in partnership with Genie/Polar that is council-run, so towns like Newport, Narberth, Tenby and others more to the South do at least have something - plus a couple of Instavolt options springing up.

I haven’t explore the North too much recently but agree completely there are some very loose words from Welsh Gov but really no material action, pretty much the story of Wales politics for over 100 years to be fair.

Would really love to try and get some more momentum behind a genuine forward-looking charging infrastructure for Wales, the driver, jobs and economy benefits from EV ownership could really propel local economies forward but it needs several leaders who can “energise” (sorry dodgy pun) the situation. Currently folks appear to be reading reports on battery factories and reading what other governments are saying - then calling this their EV vision for Wales, not actually coming up with a viable plan.

If we could put it in the hands of business leaders however, that would be a different kettle of ball games.......

The OP story is one of the reasons I’ve put my “home charger install” money into the portable “Juice Booster” option as it has come with UK 3-pin, 32/16A commando Blue and Red for single/3 phase and then can use the Tesla cable if there’s a charge point type 2. Then at least for caravan/industrial type sites if there’s a real emergency need I have some options.

I wonder if a bunch of folks on here that are invested in Wales and EV potential could consider how to make some more useful representations into those who have the fate of Welsh infrastructure in their hands .... would need some time and effort commitment to have a chance of making a difference ..... I would be up for it.
Can I ask about the Juice Booster device ? Where did you get it ? It sounds like a good solution.

Good advice from the OP (always take your mains plugged "granny charging" cable). Sadly, when you most need help in remote areas, e.g. darkest Wales, there is precious little signal in the outback for a telcon.

It happened to me at the Terra Remota winery (clue in the name!) near the French border in Spain. That sphincter-clenching experience necessitated a trip to a service centre in Barcelona just in case the problem was with my car and not their Destination Charger.

Another tip learned the hard way: If stuff that usually works stops working, try a reset.

I expect the best option for Wales would be two InterVolt chargers in every CoOp carpark.
The planned 125KW McChargers would be nice as well except West Wales has very few Mcdonalds and is unlikely to be targeted as the first Mcharger locations anyway. Even if the power requirements can be met which becomes harder and harder the more rural you go.
Rural areas don't have running water, electricity, phone lines and a postal service because it was economic to do so. they have it because the govt made it happen. If you leave it up to the market you get what rural mobile phone reception looks like.
Unless the gov't steps in like they did in Scotland sadly I think Wales is going to be the EV charging poor relation for some time to come. Generally there are just better places to build charge points to get a return on your investment right now.

• Informative
Reactions: cockneyleek
Can I ask about the Juice Booster device ? Where did you get it ? It sounds like a good solution.

AFAIK the Juice Booster is just a mobile charger ... and you get one of those with your Tesla.

got the unit from e-driver.net

@Adopado is correct it's another UMC type device, but don;t forget all these fancy wall chargers aren;t chargers, they are just swtiched power relays with some software overlayed .

Plusses of the Juince Booster 2 are the unit can mount on a wall hanger, it includes the AC/DC leakage fault monitoring and has selectable charge amps on the unit, so for example if you have a 32A supply but don’t get stable voltage you could set to 25A and still get a decent boost.

It also comes with 3-phase charging options so you can get 11KW if you have access to the red connectors or if you need to charge at for example an industrial unit. Plus I added the 10M extension lead.

It’s a very high end bit of engineering, significantly more so than any of the wall charger innards I’ve seen, with the exception of the Anderson wall unit. Everything is either powder-coated aluminium housing or soft rubber protectors.

Honestly, I'm chuffed to bits with it. It was expensive but well worth it IMO.

Just out of curiosity, for those living or regularly travelling to Wales, where would the best place(s) for a supercharger be located? Maybe options for one or two sites? It maybe that upgrading an existing site be a viable option.
In addition to the planned Superchargers in Builth Wells and Aberystwyth, a charger near Carmarthen would be ideal. It’s crazy that a trip to Portugal from Cardiff is easier, logistically, than one from Cardiff to west Wales, if you have a SR+.

Reactions: Jeeves
I agree with Carmarthen also as it would reduce pressure from fully-west south west wales. But something in the Haverfordwest > Narberth region is also really needed to serve residents and holidaymakers in the zone that they are already driving through.

Back to Canaston

This location (red pin on map) would serve all the A477 and A40 traffic plus easily reachable for those going further on (St Davids) or further up (Fishguard, Newport, Cardigan), plus it would link sensibly to Aberystwyth in terms of distance (and Bridgend Sarn Parc)

It's absolutely crying out for it. Will someone listen ...... ?????.... please .... ?????

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    220.8 KB · Views: 61
I agree with Carmarthen also as it would reduce pressure from fully-west south west wales. But something in the Haverfordwest > Narberth region is also really needed to serve residents and holidaymakers in the zone that they are already driving through.

Back to Canaston

This location (red pin on map) would serve all the A477 and A40 traffic plus easily reachable for those going further on (St Davids) or further up (Fishguard, Newport, Cardigan), plus it would link sensibly to Aberystwyth in terms of distance (and Bridgend Sarn Parc)

It's absolutely crying out for it. Will someone listen ...... ?????.... please .... ?????
I would not hold your breath. The unusual logic is SuC are for routes not destinations. Once you get to your destination, and the car is parked, you can use one of the many and varied destination options that probably don't exist West of Haverfordwest.
Once complete Bridgend, Builth Wells and Aberystwyth will cover all the major routes to get you there just don't go for a day trip.
Never say never but I doubt its just around the corner.

This post is precisely why I don't suggest my mother to buy an M3 (lives near Carmarthen) although she would absolutely love the driving experience. She often does big mileage days for work and I know that the lack of (super)chargers would just add inconvenience to her working day when she would just want to get home.

Reactions: ringi
I did a short trip to West Wales this past week. I survived by topping up at the Aberystwyth SuC and keeping local to that. It's a complete desert of public chargers in Ceredigion/Cardiganshire. Surprisingly, in Llangrannog, I spotted an MG EV, a Mustang E, and a Skoda Enyak. I wonder where they charge them?

I did a short trip to West Wales this past week. I survived by topping up at the Aberystwyth SuC and keeping local to that. It's a complete desert of public chargers in Ceredigion/Cardiganshire. Surprisingly, in Llangrannog, I spotted an MG EV, a Mustang E, and a Skoda Enyak. I wonder where they charge them?

At home I should think. Not everyone's on holiday or travelling.

Reactions: Jason71