Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I don't want to name my damn car!

What do you think of the concept of naming your car?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've never named any of my cars before and personally think the whole concept is a bit silly. Is there a way to avoid naming my car? I am constantly getting notifications on my phone that "Larry" has been disconnected.

I'd also like to get the opinions of others on how they feel about this as I can't be the only one that feels this way.
*facepalm*
I can't believe it didn't occur to me before to name the car "Life-support".

We are not the most creative bunch, top 10 names according to TeslaFi:
upload_2018-9-11_9-10-55.png

Most of them a play on "Tesla", which was my choice "Tessy", but that was vetoed by my 4 year old daughter. She finally accepted "Joules" as my second choice.

Looks like quite a few like the "42" easter egg.

I've never named any of my cars before and personally think the whole concept is a bit silly. Is there a way to avoid naming my car? I am constantly getting notifications on my phone that "Larry" has been disconnected.

I'd also like to get the opinions of others on how they feel about this as I can't be the only one that feels this way.

I feel the same way. We have to name our iPhone's too. To keep it from feeling weird, I named my iPhone "Dimitri's iPhone" and named my Model 3 "Dimitri's Model 3". Doesn't feel like it has a name now :)

I have no issue with people naming their cars, I just wish people wouldn't refer to their cars by name alone when discussing their car in a conversation. As in, "I took Tessie in for service today. She's doing great!" They're free to do so, but it's just a little too much personification of an object for me. Always feels weird, even if I can discern the meaning from context.

For me it was a Father and Son thing. Working on a car with your Dad you learn to curse a car and always curse it female. Then when its good to you it just ends up with a girls name. Every car I have ever owned ended up with a name. I have never said the name in a conversation that is very weird. My wife references our Tesla by name and I had to explain to her how weird it was. I think its a matter of how much you personally put into a car or where it takes you.

What an odd poll for something that isn’t a forced option.
Don’t want to name it, don’t bother and move in with your life.
Want to name it, knock yourself out.
Who cares? It’s a personal choice that doesn’t impact anyone else.
The cars that have personality in our family get names, but we’ve always had multiple cars. Not much point if there’s only one.

• Love
Reactions: Pkmmte
Does it really matter what a person names their car? It is of little interest to most readers..

Another thread that is annoying is "What did you do for your Tesla today?"

One reasons I find no interest, for several years our community invited visiting celebrities to speak and answer questions at a public meeting. A certain young man always sat up front, and always asked the same question: "What is your favorite number?"
It was embarrassing, and the speaker wasn't sure if he was serious, or making fun of him.

Name your car and enjoy .... but few forum readers are interested in reading about it.