Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I ended up hitting a car *video*

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not that I read and drive, but after watching the video, I’m enabling LDA.

Definitely a good idea to at least have the LDA warning on (though if you are in the extremely bad habit of removing both hands from the wheel the warning won’t help at all).

Do keep in mind though that even if both LDA and ELDA are on, it does not always prevent lane drifting, particularly if you have recently provided steering input. The logic is quite fuzzy. So as with every single safety and driver assistance feature provided by Tesla, it is never to be relied upon even for an instant. You are still the driver, obviously.

It is on.

Do you mean LDA or ELDA or both? What was LDA set to?

Sorry this happened, and glad no one was hurt. To me it looks like Autosteer was not on, but I guess we’ll see, maybe (do let us know if you find out). Looks like an example of mode confusion, automation complacency, and risk compensation - a little bit of everything that one naturally expects to happen with these systems.

Worth noting that this likely won’t show up in Tesla’s “on autopilot” “statistics.” (Derisive emphasis on the second set of quotes.) If detected, it will show up as an accident when not on autopilot, presumably.

One time after receiving an update I attempted to enable AP and found out soon enough that only TACC was enabled. This only happened once. Could it be due to the upgrade? Could it be due to me activating AP too quickly? Dunno. Never happened again.

Yes, i have many datasets from his car.
I can't figure what the trigger was.

One time after receiving an update I attempted to enable AP and found out soon enough that only TACC was enabled. This only happened once. Could it be due to the upgrade? Could it be due to me activating AP too quickly? Dunno. Never happened again.

Never seen that happened ..only time AP was limited there was also a screen message to the effect that autopilot is limited or something like that ..

I see no evidence that EAP was on. Maybe it was one of those times when it wasn't ready yet after a lane change or entrance. I've tried to start EAP immediately after entering a freeway and been unsuccessful. I don't remember if it gave any warnings.

Yeah, I believe it will make a clear beep if it didn't enable on a double stem click.

AP, or EAP, sets boundaries by looking at lane markings as well as a potential back up lead car before becoming available. Turning it on immediately when lanes appear/disappear or cars are merging such as an onramp/offramp would not be advisable. there needs to be a gray steering wheel icon present by the speedometer which means AP is available. when you turn AP on, you will hear the familiar tune and the gray icon will turn blue. if at any time during AP you turn the wheel too far, autosteer (lane keep assist) will turn off but TACC will remain on unless you step on the brake or deactivate. TACC is the other icon with the set CC speed with a blue circle around it.

i would not trust AP (in any iteration) on the farthest left or farthest right lanes; not so much a fault of the car but I just don't trust other people on the road. Road debris, damaged dividers, cars moving in and out of HOV or ramps, merging or disappearing lanes, etc. are recipes for disaster. I only use AP for steady traffic (any amount of cars) in lanes that have another lane on both sides as buffers.

regarding the video, I also think AP was never activated. since the beginning of it, the car was already drifting to the right (AP would have immediately locked into the dead center of the lane). the truck in front is way too ahead to be a "lead car", considering how clear the lane markings were. it is interesting to see how collision avoidance software failed to recognize the other car though and apply brakes. sensors are weakest in the corners but image recognition software should have detected it.

Last edited:
I'll add to the pile that this looks like TACC might have been on but not lanekeeping.

I've been playing with TACC vs Lanekeeping+TACC (I'm deliberately splitting these out to avoid confusion between stuff like "Autopilot" which means very little to most). TACC only has situational awareness to what is more or less directly in front of you. So if you're turning around a bend, for example, it won't slow down for cars because it's not monitoring the lane. You might see the lane on your screen, but it won't ASSUME anything at least not in its current state.

If you have lanekeeping on, it tends to look "around the bend" better.

But in this case, yes, you probably wouldn't get warnings for this. Not to say that maybe lane assistance stuff should've kicked in too, but unknown what that was set at.

I have found that if I pull the lever 2x too quickly AP doesn't come on. I do this sometimes (too impatient I guess) and think it is on when it is not on. Wish for a different procedure than the 2x pull. Bet the OP did this.

I have found that if I pull the lever 2x too quickly AP doesn't come on. I do this sometimes (too impatient I guess) and think it is on when it is not on. Wish for a different procedure than the 2x pull. Bet the OP did this.

+1 I assume that my AP is on as well. But it happened to be "cruise control". Now I normally just wait till the steering wheel turns by itself before assuming.

Reactions: Leafdriver333
There's no way it's on. Also, think of the odds of the one time it drifts from a lane (which I've never experienced), HAPPENS to be the time you were reading your email..and not when you were watching it.

I have had times when a double tap would only enable cruise control, and other times a single tap enables EAP. But whenever EAP is on, it gives the chime.