Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I feel like an idiot...(assumed 240V adapter still included)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my MY yesterday. I was so excited when I arrived at Space 24 and saw my new car but was a little disappointed to see that it was only charged to 49%. I let it go feeling like it might be partly my error - I was supposed to pick up the car last week but my appointment was canceled due to a system wide outage in the Phoenix area. I was unable to get in later in the evening when the system came back up and was scheduled to leave town early the following day. I was just happy that they didn't bump me and give the car to the next person on the list so...

As soon as I got home I plugged in the car because I knew I wanted to use the car last night. Much to my surprise I only had a 110v plug in the bag?! I immediately called the sales department and they proceeded to tell me that I could purchase a 240v for $38. Really!! I just paid $54,000 and the $38 converter is extra.

I wouldn't feel so bad if I hadn't owned the M3. I don't remember paying extra for the 240v converter when I got the 3 but maybe I did. I still feel like an idiot driving back to Tesla this morning. Lesson learned.

It kind of makes sense. Everyone has lots of 5-15 outlets. Many fewer have 240 V outlets, and of those who do some are 14-50 and some are 14-30, or even 10-30. I suspect most people who have a 14-50 in a convenient location (like in the garage) put it there specifically to charge a car. In which case maybe most such users buy the 14-50 adapter in advance. I for instance had my 14-50 adapter for about 3 weeks before my MY was ready to pick up.

I do agree that it seems like an obvious point-of-pickup upsell though!

Reactions: house9 and cstork
Mine was at about the same charge rate when I picked it up in Scottsdale last week. Considering I had a 200 mile drive home to Kingman, I familiarized myself with how the super chargers work in Wickenberg. For those who haven’t used a super charger, they’re set up very well. You back in, plug in and it starts charging immediately. The car is linked to your account and bills the appropriate card automatically. There is no card reader at the super charger. Considering these stations are usually unmanned, the card swipes would be targeted by card sniffer equipment.

You’re going to get tired of dragging that mobile charger in and out. I’m in the process of putting a wall charger in with my electrician. No need to stretch cords and pack them in and out. Just back in, plug in and be done. A plugged in car is a happy car. That 110 mobile charger is painfully slow. Expect 2-4 miles per hour. The wall charger should be in the 30’s.

Mine was at about the same charge rate when I picked it up in Scottsdale last week. Considering I had a 200 mile drive home to Kingman, I familiarized myself with how the super chargers work in Wickenberg. For those who haven’t used a super charger, they’re set up very well. You back in, plug in and it starts charging immediately. The car is linked to your account and bills the appropriate card automatically. There is no card reader at the super charger. Considering these stations are usually unmanned, the card swipes would be targeted by card sniffer equipment.

You’re going to get tired of dragging that mobile charger in and out. I’m in the process of putting a wall charger in with my electrician. No need to stretch cords and pack them in and out. Just back in, plug in and be done. A plugged in car is a happy car. That 110 mobile charger is painfully slow. Expect 2-4 miles per hour. The wall charger should be in the 30’s.

Yes, installing the wall charger is a must.

That's disappointing to hear that the cars are not fully charged at pickup for just the reason you stated - Wickenberg is a great stop for lunch though.

• Disagree
Reactions: Bucfan11
I don't see why the wall charger is any better than the UMC and 14-50 combo.
I never saw the advantage of the wall charger. Having an electrician install a 14-50 is cheaper than buying a wall charger and having an electrician install that. Plus, the wall charger would general stay with the house when it's sold, so you keep re-buying those. And the 14-50 is going to work better with non-Tesla brands should you own one of those (heresy!). And you can buy a second UMC and keep that in the car in the car for road trips, and that's still cheaper than a wall charger. And the 14-50 charges fast enough. And on and on.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Plus, the wall charger would general stay with the house when it's sold, so you keep re-buying those.
I've heard a few people say this, and I don't see where it makes any sense at all. Sure, there are the default, boilerplate wordings in house buying contracts about attached fixtures, but there's no reason you wouldn't make a change to exclude that. If you want to keep it, just put in a sentence that says the Tesla charging connector mounted on the garage wall is not being sold with the house and will be removed when you leave.

I've heard a few people say this, and I don't see where it makes any sense at all. Sure, there are the default, boilerplate wordings in house buying contracts about attached fixtures, but there's no reason you wouldn't make a change to exclude that. If you want to keep it, just put in a sentence that says the Tesla charging connector mounted on the garage wall is not being sold with the house and will be removed when you leave.
True. You could pay an electrician to remove it and reinstall it again.

Tesla used to supply several different connectors, but still owners often needed to buy the specific one for their charging set up.

Rather than waste a million connectors, they now offer a bunch of connectors, and each customer can simply buy the one that is in their garage or at work.

Agree, they should make more of an effort to ask their customers which connector they would like.

Perhaps it should be part of the ordering process, where each customer is given the choice of one connector. Can choose the one in their garage or another. Most popular used to be 14-50, but many buyers have anothe plug configuration they would rather use. Some plug into a dryer outlet, or welder socket.