Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I found a 14-30 outlet in my apartment! Questions about cables

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm using this 14-30 extension cord. Available in 10, 25, and 50 ft

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MRC08Q8

Ah nice. You could also potentially buy that extension cord and cut the neutral off (or even carefully remove that pin internally to the connector so you don't damage it) and then use that with the Tesla 14-30 adapter. The only downsides to that are the extra conductor in the cable (not a big deal - and the plus is that the gauge is thinner for 30 amp vs 50 amp) and the cord would also be dangerous for anything other than an electric car (i.e. for an RV or something) - so be sure to label it VERY CLEARLY!

Lots of options!!!

That one has the neutral pin all the way through. It is a regular old RV extension cord I think.
Oh, shoot. You're right. I did notice in the comments section, though, that someone asked if they could make this same 50 foot cord with 14-30 ends, and they said yes, they can do that--just call or email them to request it. They are good with custom requests like that if you need something a little different.

I'm using this 14-30 extension cord. Available in 10, 25, and 50 ft

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MRC08Q8
Well yep, that would certainly do it. I guess it's a question of who is cheaper now? This one on Amazon is $209. The EVSEAdapters 14-50 one is $129, but not sure how much the price would be if you custom request for them to make it a 14-30 type instead.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Ah nice. You could also potentially buy that extension cord and cut the neutral off (or even carefully remove that pin internally to the connector so you don't damage it) and then use that with the Tesla 14-30 adapter. The only downsides to that are the extra conductor in the cable (not a big deal - and the plus is that the gauge is thinner for 30 amp vs 50 amp) and the cord would also be dangerous for anything other than an electric car (i.e. for an RV or something) - so be sure to label it VERY CLEARLY!

Lots of options!!!

Wait a sec, I may be overthinking this (or just thinking about it wrong). There is no reason you can't just have a regular old 14-30 extension cord plugged into that dryer outlet and then get the 14-30 adapter for the UMC Gen 2 and you are golden. The *only* downside to this is having the extra neutral conductor in the cord you don't need, but since it is only a 30 amp cord it will be smaller than a 50 amp cord anyway...

Also, I would buy the shortest cord you can get away with (even if maybe it means ordering it custom) since it is less to deal with and store and less resistance and voltage loss...

Lots of options!!!
Dude, that's a 14-30 extension, so you wouldn't need or want to cut the neutral off on that one. If you did, someone might try to run 50a through it.