Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I get a rebate for a level 2 charger...but it may just be easier to get a 14-50 put in

electricloris

Apr 27, 2021
Texas
So I live in Austin and they have a rebate program for getting a lvl 2 charger installed.

Austin Energy offers EV owners a rebate of 50% of the purchase and installation cost of an approved Level 2 (240V) charging station.
The maximum rebate amount is $1,200 for Wi-Fi enabled charging stations with the capability to communicate with Austin Energy and $900 for non-Wi-Fi enabled charging stations.

Home Charging Rebate

Anyway, they also state they can replace it any time which is a bit weird. My electrician I know can do the 14-50 for 300ish dollars. Im wondering if its worth it to get a fancier charger or just keep it simple. Any thoughts?

jcanoe

Oct 2, 2020
Maryland
If the Level 2 electric vehicle service equipment (EVSE) will be installed inside a garage then the NEMA 14-50 receptacle is probably all that you need. If your electrician can install the 14-50 for $300ish just do it. IMHO the rebate program has too many gotchas including:
  • Requires a City of Austin electrical permit and inspection for the installation of all hard-wired charging stations and receptacles for plug-in stations.
  • A licensed electrician must perform installations of hard-wired charging stations and receptacles.
  • Austin Energy may, at any time during your commitment period, replace your charging station with an Austin Energy-owned charging station located in your home and on your side of the meter.

MYMY21

Apr 21, 2021
Westchester, NY
I went with 14-50 for the flexibility it offers: since I had to pay an electrician to do the work, I now have something that I can use for other purposes or future owners of the house can use in whatever way they want. I plug in a corded mobile connector and it works great. I prefer this approach.

electricloris

Apr 27, 2021
Texas
If the Level 2 electric vehicle service equipment (EVSE) will be installed inside a garage then the NEMA 14-50 receptacle is probably all that you need. If your electrician can install the 14-50 for $300ish just do it. IMHO the rebate program has too many gotchas including:
  • Requires a City of Austin electrical permit and inspection for the installation of all hard-wired charging stations and receptacles for plug-in stations.
  • A licensed electrician must perform installations of hard-wired charging stations and receptacles.
  • Austin Energy may, at any time during your commitment period, replace your charging station with an Austin Energy-owned charging station located in your home and on your side of the meter.
That last part reads so weird! It may not be worth it.

Reactions: rjpjnk and srlawren

electricloris

Apr 27, 2021
Texas
Just an update with my electrician, he said going through this is also a pain in the ass, and he even stands to make more, but it's just a pain and it's best to do a 14-50 and get on with it

Reactions: srlawren

rjpjnk

Mar 12, 2021
NJ
In my estimation the Wall Connector turns out to be only about 136 dollars more expensive, and then I get to keep the Mobile Connector in the car. I recommend the Wall Connector even without any state rebate. There is still the 30% federal tax credit on any install btw.

Reactions: Big Earl

electricloris

Apr 27, 2021
Texas
In my estimation the Wall Connector turns out to be only about 136 dollars more expensive, and then I get to keep the Mobile Connector in the car. I recommend the Wall Connector even without any state rebate. There is still the 30% federal tax credit on any install btw.

I read your post earlier! Hi! So the thing is actually, I'm considering the wall charger now mainly because we stay with family in houston often (almost 10 tims a year), so it may be nice to leave the spare cable there. I also found another electrician who is kind of a jedi with the rebates down here so Im going to look into it. My delivery is 3ish weeks out so I have a bit of time to work this out

Reactions: rjpjnk

electricloris

Apr 27, 2021
Texas

Talking more with the electrician, with rebates on my end its around 150 more expensive for the wall charger. So something to think about.

brkaus

Jul 8, 2014
Austin, TX
My electrician had absolutely no issue filing the rebate and getting me a check. Sure, it needed a licensed electrician and a permit. But those are technically required anyway.

I have had the WC installed 4 years and they haven’t replaced it. When I asked about it they were keeping it open as an option for future time of use, monitoring for future programs, or curtailment.

With that said, there is no issue with a 14-50. I have my WC set at 50a anyway (40a charging).

I do appreciate the long cord on the Gen 2 WC though.

Reactions: srlawren

Jan 19, 2020
Victoria BC
My electrician is not a fan of plug-in “stove”electrical outlets. Unless “quality” equipment is used the springs lose tension over time and can cause heating/melting/fire (see internet for lots of scary failure pictures). Plus as mentioned you can store your mobile charger in the frunk for use in an emergency charging situation. Replaces that ICE spare tire you use to carry about, maybe used as much.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC