Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I got a Honda Civic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sir Guacamolaf

The good kind of fat
Mar 15, 2016
Not in a Tesla
Okay chill, I still have my Tesla. However,

- The usual haggle experience was awful, although I have to admit I enjoyed wearing those idiots down.
- Lane keep assist etc. is a joke compared to AP (I have AP1)
- Drives like crap (comparatively speaking)
- Looks ugly (comparatively speaking)

but ..
- The paint on the Civic is better
- It has carplay, which absolutely rocks compared to the junk Tesla has. I don't care what your "personal" opinion is, but if you suggest that carplay/android auto is inferior to Tesla's media/maps/nav, get your head checked.
- Environmental considerations aside, it charges up pretty quickly, and there are 5 superchargers (gas stations) within 1 mile from me.
- The seats are better, actually far better - this is a civic for god's sake!
- The service network is better (4 dealers within 20 miles)
- The heater works a LOT better. Oh how much have I missed not being miserably cold in the name of being an environmentally conscious hipster.
- I paid about 1/5th of what I'd pay on a Tesla
- I can park it anywhere without worrying about repair costs
- Insurance is 1/3rd of Tesla
- Smaller and easier to park
- Interior noise level is better than Tesla on the freeway.

Not trying to be a negative nancy, but 3 years into Tesla ownership,
- The software still sucks (buggy, feature incomplete)
- Repair situation is still awful
- Build quality has not improved
- Service network, my local service center has had it's ups and downs, right now on an up, but definitely overloaded
- Insurance is a crapshoot

I know comparing Tesla with a Civic will draw a lot of LOLs, and on a Tesla forum maybe even some ire.
But I won't lie, I wish that Tesla would fix it's foibles, and I at this point, I know that it won't.
Recently Tesla reached out to me asking if I was interested in an upgrade/trade-in .. I think I'm gonna sit back and watch for a bit if nothing else.

One thing people should keep in mind is that this is a comparison between an older Model S (early AP1, pre-facelift by the age of the car) and a current generation Honda Civic, which is probably the best mainstream compact gasoline car on the market today.

I’d be most interested to compare Model 3 to the Honda Civic in terms of design, comfort, and overall build quality. The Civic is closer to the 3 in size than the S.

I have an older (2008) Civic Hybrid, and the ride on that is still nice and smooth - nowhere near as nice and smooth as the S, but for a car at that price point, it's excellent.

The paint, however, is atrocious.
Maybe Honda has vastly improved the paint quality on their vehicle since 2008, but it's criminally bad, lol.

Even a co-worker who just bough a 2018 Type-R had to get the car fully wrapped because he expects the paint to go bad on him,

I have an older (2008) Civic Hybrid, and the ride on that is still nice and smooth - nowhere near as nice and smooth as the S, but for a car at that price point, it's excellent.

The paint, however, is atrocious.
Maybe Honda has vastly improved the paint quality on their vehicle since 2008, but it's criminally bad, lol.

Even a co-worker who just bough a 2018 Type-R had to get the car fully wrapped because he expects the paint to go bad on him,

I'm a fellow owner of an 8th Generation (2006-2011) Civic. Mine's a 2011, base model manual sedan. I agree that it's an excellent ride for the money: smooth but connected to the road, and nimble too. Ergonomics, interior space, and storage amenities are, like most Honda vehicles, very well thought out. My friends have all complimented this car as being unusually comfortable for a budget compact.

The paint though... I agree it is particularly infamous among Honda owners, and in a really bad way.

There is plenty of written and photographic evidence, 29 pages of just how bad the paint was for the 8th Generation: http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/deta...clear-coat-failure-peeling-paint-stories.html

Clearcoat failure in the darker colors (black, blue, and gray) is most common. Some people had swaths of de-laminating clearcoat after only a handful of years, resulting in hideous cloudy blotching. "Crows feet" patterns appeared on many black Civics of this era. Because the Si (high end racecar trim with an 8000 RPM i-VTEC motor) was particularly popular in this generation of Civic, many Honda fans owned one. A lot of owners were very attentive to detailing, and were shocked when their routinely washed, clay barred, and waxed vehicles began to show early paint deterioration.

I believe that Honda extended the warranty for some of these cars, and partially covered the cost of re-painting for others.

In the past 5 years, I haven't seen any complaints about Honda paint deterioration on the scale that the 8th Gen Civics exhibited, so I assume that Honda modified their formulas after what was probably an expensive warranty extension.

Sure, but the ride and drive on a Model S beats the pants off a Civic! You can cherry pick comparisons to make any car look great. I mean, me personally, I don’t give a rats ass about paint. But I do care about acceleration, drive feel, single pedal driving and AP.

Sure, but the ride and drive on a Model S beats the pants off a Civic! You can cherry pick comparisons to make any car look great. I mean, me personally, I don’t give a rats ass about paint. But I do care about acceleration, drive feel, single pedal driving and AP.

Reminds me a little of that graphic comparing a Previa and the 2020 Roadster.

Built-in Fridge
Previa - 1
Roadster - 0

• Funny
Reactions: anticitizen13.7
Did you not look into the Honda Volt? I mean Honda Clarity PHEV?

Bigger, drives like an Accord, and get $7500 tax credit to boot. With 47 EV miles, it is a better Volt in almost every aspect.... and with the plus you described too.

I am seeing people giving good reviews for them.

Reactions: McRat
Car play/ android auto are really nice I had them on my aftermarket setup I had in my Mustang. Honestly though I don't miss it on my tesla. I did like Waze so hoping Tesla adds waze. I do like the built in streaming radio on my tesla a lot. I like not having to hook up my phone every time I drive to stream music and control it through the dash. I will take software updates though over car play/ android auto. Who is to say 5 years down the road the current car play will work with the new phones... Phones change too much so I don't want features in my car dependent on my cell phone.

I don't miss going to the gas station. Broken pumps around me are common. Half of them don't keep the lock on when filling. Sucks standing outside pumping gas in nasty weather. So nice to charge at home and so much cheaper.

Love the preheat from the app on my Tesla. Never get in a cold car. My Mercedes c300 is freezing cold when I get in every morning not the tesla. The Tesla heats up much faster.

Nothing wrong with the Civic they are nice cars but I honestly don't think they compete with a model 3 even let alone a model S. Wishing you best of luck with it and glad you enjoy it. Thing with cars is there is no perfect car for everyone.

Reactions: BinaryField