Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I got put in the penalty box

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was recently updated to 17.24.28 (I am on AP1) and something happened today I've never seen before and I am wondering if it's the new "silky" update or coincidence. I was using Autosteer and I wanted to speed up quickly to change over to the next lane....as I did so manually with my gas pedal and hands on the wheel, Autosteer gave me warnings as I was quickly approaching a car in my current lane, but I knew I could make it. I didn't get a chance to read the warnings as I was focusing on changing lanes. Anyway, as soon as I got over to the left lane, I was no longer allowed to use Autosteer the rest of the trip (only TACC worked). Was I punished? Or is this a bug?

Also - When I first got on the parkway, I sped up to 81 mph to get over to left lane (people fly on this particular parkway) and it would not let me close my sunroof until I slowed down to 80 with a warning to reduce my speed.

Are both of these new "nags"?

• Informative
Reactions: Swift and croman
If you hit 90, that's not new. Speeding up to 90mph while on AP deems you unsafe. AP1 is just a liability for Tesla at this point. It uses MobileEye technology which they no longer use, there is no reward for improving it, but the flip side - a backlash if anyone was to get hurt would be very bad for Tesla. If they could get away with it, I bet they would just disable it, but that would be really bad PR.

I had a similar experience with my AP1 car a few weeks ago. I was driving in autopilot and coming up to a red light where I needed to turn, so I disengaged autopilot by pushing the button on the stalk. A fraction of a second before I disengaged autopilot there was a warning on the dash accompanied by an audible alert, but it went away as soon as autopilot was disengaged. It literally just appeared for a fraction of a second and I have no idea what the alert was. Whatever it was, though, the car was unhappy about something and it wouldn’t let me use autopilot for the rest of that trip, despite rebooting both screens and even stopping in a parking lot and getting out of the car for a few minutes to let it turn off.

I finally wound up calling tesla and the woman I spoke with had me go into the e-brake and power off screen and power down the car from there. She told me to leave it off for 2 minutes, then hit the brake to turn the car back on and that resolved the issue. Definitely a strange issue, but it hasn’t happened again.

I had a similar experience with my AP1 car a few weeks ago. I was driving in autopilot and coming up to a red light where I needed to turn, so I disengaged autopilot by pushing the button on the stalk. A fraction of a second before I disengaged autopilot there was a warning on the dash accompanied by an audible alert, but it went away as soon as autopilot was disengaged. It literally just appeared for a fraction of a second and I have no idea what the alert was. Whatever it was, though, the car was unhappy about something and it wouldn’t let me use autopilot for the rest of that trip, despite rebooting both screens and even stopping in a parking lot and getting out of the car for a few minutes to let it turn off.

I finally wound up calling tesla and the woman I spoke with had me go into the e-brake and power off screen and power down the car from there. She told me to leave it off for 2 minutes, then hit the brake to turn the car back on and that resolved the issue. Definitely a strange issue, but it hasn’t happened again.

I've had something similar, at least a version or two ago. I was on cruise control only, 30MPH, and was trying to disengage for a stop sign. I fumbled with pushing the button and accidentally moved the stalk at the same time, possibly even pushing the button twice. I got a beep and "Cruise control disabled" message. I parked and got out, and the message cleared.

Maybe that's why there's no button anymore - it can result in too many simultaneous input signals to the same controller. Just a guess.

I fumbled with pushing the button and accidentally moved the stalk at the same time, possibly even pushing the button twice. I got a beep and "Cruise control disabled" message. I parked and got out, and the message cleared.

Maybe that's why there's no button anymore - it can result in too many simultaneous input signals to the same controller. Just a guess.

I always tap the breaks lightly when I want to disengage AP for any reason. It works much better for me than fumbling with any buttons.

On a related note:

I got notified of the availability of an update about an hour ago. it is presumably the "silky smooth" update, but I have an AP1 car.

what does said update entail for AP1 cars?

I always tap the breaks lightly when I want to disengage AP for any reason. It works much better for me than fumbling with any buttons.

On a related note:

I got notified of the availability of an update about an hour ago. it is presumably the "silky smooth" update, but I have an AP1 car.

what does said update entail for AP1 cars?

bug fixes. But apparently according to @verygreen, a lot in the background has changed. I can't find his original post but someone posted it on the Tesla forum. Very interesting stuff. That guy is amazing.

The reason for them to continue improving it is we paid for a product, it's still in beta, and we deserve to get it. Good faith, and all that. If they fail to continue refining it in AP1 cars, we deserve a refund for the vaporware version of AP.

Logical, and that's the same line of thought I had before they started making changes to how ludicrous works with my V2 battery.
I am very nervous about what's going to happen with AP1. Hopefully the much larger installed base gives them pause before they play any drastic games.

did so manually with my gas pedal and hands on the wheel
where you actually moving the steering wheel or were you just sheparding it during auto lane change with your hands? It could've just been bad timing of the hands-on-wheel alert you heard if you didn't have enough force on the wheel and it timed you out. Pedal accelerating over the cruise setting causes the alert to come more often.

where you actually moving the steering wheel or were you just sheparding it during auto lane change with your hands? It could've just been bad timing of the hands-on-wheel alert you heard if you didn't have enough force on the wheel and it timed you out. Pedal accelerating over the cruise setting causes the alert to come more often.

It happened very fast, but I think while AP was on, I hit the gas pedal to speed up and then grabbed the steering wheel which then disengaged AP.

I don't want people behind me to see the lights and think I'm brake checking them.
This is from the theory of operation manual:

o CAN messages from the drive inverter control brake light operation in response to regenerative braking,
and reverse light operation when the reverse gear is selected.

So if canceling autopilot causes regen then the brake lights come on, regardless of whether you touch the brake peddle or not.
It used to be that if you tapped the brakes you would get rapid deceleration, but canceling cruise control with the stalk would give a more gentle deceleration. I don't notice much difference now.