Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I had no idea insurance was so much!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess I should have done my research then instead of now although it would not have detoured me from buying the m3 long-range, auto pilot.

48yr old male no accidents or tickets with AAA $2300 per yr. More than 2x higher than my accord and 2x higher than my wifes 15' tahoe.

I did the online quote from costco/ameriprise insurance co and with progressive. Costco was $1700 and progressive $1300 ish but Im wondering if these are 1 yr enticement quotes and then they will really rise the following year.

What is everyone paying?

I shopped around and Ameriprise had the best rate for me at less than half what I was quoted from my current provider at the time, Amica.

Generally speaking, insurance companies don't reward loyalty and you need to switch every few years if you're price conscious. They raise your rates every year just enough so that you don't jump ship.

I guess I should have done my research then instead of now although it would not have detoured me from buying the m3 long-range, auto pilot.

48yr old male no accidents or tickets with AAA $2300 per yr. More than 2x higher than my accord and 2x higher than my wifes 15' tahoe.

I did the online quote from costco/ameriprise insurance co and with progressive. Costco was $1700 and progressive $1300 ish but Im wondering if these are 1 yr enticement quotes and then they will really rise the following year.

What is everyone paying?
Find a new company. This topic has been beat down several times

Reactions: Dre78 and DrDabbles
Had the same issue with AAA. They gave me a very high quote, and I had been with them over 20 years. I shopped around and ended up taking all my cars and home to another company. Saved a bundle.

You really need to shop around for insurance. Some companies are afraid of the new technology and others are giving great rates to grab all their business.

Reactions: Glamisduner
Looks like I will be moving away from AAA as well. Below are the quotes:
AAA: $3080
Geico: $508 (confusing since it says 6 month of payments)
Progressive: $644

Good driving record and was with AAA for many years. Crazy how high they are in comparison to other insurance companies.

What is everyone paying?
$1,230 a year from Geico. But I also have a $1,000,000 umbrella policy for $185 a year which gave me a discount on my car insurance.

42 year old male, no accidents in history, I pay $95 a month with Root Insurance for awesome coverage for myself and the wife on the model 3 (250/500/$0 comprehensive deductible). They only insure good drivers so that's how they keep costs down. May not be available in your area, but if you want to try them out and toss a referral bonus my way. :p
Root Car Insurance

With USAA (AWD Model 3), I am paying $102/mo for $1M/1M bodily injury liability and $300K property liability with a $250 collision deductible and a $100 other-than-collision deductible, including car replacement assistance (book value + 20% if car is totaled). The cost would’ve been about $80/mo for $300/500K bodily injury liability and $100K property liability with a $500 deductible for collision and other-than-collision, without car replacement assistance.

Last edited: