Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Insurance - first use/experience (minor)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

phaduman

Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2016
San Jose
So we have 2 Teslas under Tesla Insurance - for the last 9months or so. Great price (40% cheaper than the Allstate insurance we were on for 15+ yrs).

Labor Day weekend - had a flat tire (2 nails - one of them a big screw) going on freeway about 30miles away from home (and heading out). Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ with only 10K miles on them. The screw was big enough to leave a large hole in the tire and went flat instantly. Was going freeway speed, but so glad the car instantly notified of flat tire (pressure loss) - slowed down to a stop on the right hand side. Tried to put in some air but no avail - big hole. Called Tesla Insurance. So below are the experiences I had.

* First called Tesla roadside assistance. It took about 5-8mins to get someone on the line. After a check, they said I am out of warranty (& yes I was) and upon telling them I have Tesla Insurance, they asked me to call them (on hindsight, I should have done that first - but the Tesla phone# displayed on the dashboard was too convenient to ignore. Tesla should integrate Tesla # to take care of both - they are not integrated it looks like).
* Called Tesla Insurance #. On hold for about 5mins and then I get a guy (not the same people do that do Tesla Roadside-they should a lot more in-tune than this insurance person).
* He asks me to spell my name, my street number/name etc - as if he isn't really looking for my data in a database, but was actually filling out a form type question (that was weird). After taking down every detail including my Tesla Insurance policy# (which is a LONG number and they want it full from first letter), he connects me to Tesla Roadside Assistance - yes, back to the same people that I talked to first. Now we are at 20+mins in, family sitting in the car next to freeway (a bit concerning). It was 104 (yes, bay area had a heatwave) outside, but AC in car was a savior.
* So now, Tesla Roadside department guessed that they can bill me, and I can claim it with Tesla Insurance - perhaps that is how it works (she didn't know), and I somehow didn't clarify with the Tesla Insurance agent whether that was the right approach. Anyhow, Tesla Roadside assistance told me that they cannot help me if I am on the freeway/side, as it could be hazardous for them (well, it is for me too and I want to get out of it). they asked me if I can drive slowly to the next exit (that was my only option to get service from Tesla roadside assistance). That was 3/4th mile away, and I drove on the shoulder (right side) slowly at 10-15mph. A cop car stopped me (rightly so) and confirmed that my tire was flat, and they were nice enough to give me protection from behind as I rolled along slowly - concerned that I might be damaging the tire completely and perhaps even my wheel :-(. Finally got into the exit and parked near a shop. By then, they had informed a roadside service van my way (said it would take 1.5hrs). Glad this was in Bay Area and so they could have a Tesla service van. I took an uber ride to a lunch 10mins away (with family). The Tesla service was top notch. They called when they reached the car - told me they would put me on a loaner (wheel+tire) - as they didn't have the same tire model and that I could then return the loaner to any service station when I replaced with a new tire. They put my wheel+tire in the trunk (glad that was empty - we were not on a road trip).
* I returned from that trip and replaced the tire (had to replace the rear set as they couldn't be on uneven wear) - with Costco road hazard insurance (partial refund for the damaged tire), I paid $450 for two Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires for the rear. the punctured tire wall was fully damaged (from the inside the rubber wall had crumbled) - but totally saved the wheel from any damage (not even a scratch). Good job Michelin and good job Tesla on the wheels being strong.
* I then returned the loaner to the service station.
* I then called back Tesla Insurance (who had no record that I needed a roadside assistance for a flat tire) to open a claim (for the cost of the tire replacement due to flat on the freeway). That was 2weeks ago - and they had said an adjuster will call me back (hasn't yet happened).

So basically, I am a bit concerned on some aspects.
(1) Tesla Insurance depended on Tesla roadside assistance and they apparently do not help if you are stuck on the freeway? I hope that is not the general case and it was perhaps a mis-informed Tesla roadside assistance person (though she was very friendly and helpful).
(2) The phone call process is very slow - no quick check on computer, no integration with the Tesla mobile app. Once you are out of Tesla warranty and you only have Tesla Insurance, you go away from a very modern and integrated experience to a very archaic (like paper-based) old-school Tesla Insurance service - that is very inexperienced compared to other insurance companies.
(3) I almost feel like I want to keep a AAA roadside assistance membership just for these flat-tire type situations - just something dependable that I am used to.

I know that Tesla will improve the Insurance product over time - and they are treating it like a little startup, but given the service is available in California and California has the largest Tesla fleet, they should fastback the backend integration and claims process improvement quickly. Yes - they got the money - and they are spending - they just shouldn't leave Tesla Insurance behind. I would want Tesla mobile app to handle all insurance process.

Should we not have a separate forum/folder for Tesla Insurance related discussions?

Thx
PN, San Jose, CA.

So we have 2 Teslas under Tesla Insurance - for the last 9months or so. Great price (40% cheaper than the Allstate insurance we were on for 15+ yrs).

Labor Day weekend - had a flat tire (2 nails - one of them a big screw) going on freeway about 30miles away from home (and heading out). Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ with only 10K miles on them. The screw was big enough to leave a large hole in the tire and went flat instantly. Was going freeway speed, but so glad the car instantly notified of flat tire (pressure loss) - slowed down to a stop on the right hand side. Tried to put in some air but no avail - big hole. Called Tesla Insurance. So below are the experiences I had.

* First called Tesla roadside assistance. It took about 5-8mins to get someone on the line. After a check, they said I am out of warranty (& yes I was) and upon telling them I have Tesla Insurance, they asked me to call them (on hindsight, I should have done that first - but the Tesla phone# displayed on the dashboard was too convenient to ignore. Tesla should integrate Tesla # to take care of both - they are not integrated it looks like).
* Called Tesla Insurance #. On hold for about 5mins and then I get a guy (not the same people do that do Tesla Roadside-they should a lot more in-tune than this insurance person).
* He asks me to spell my name, my street number/name etc - as if he isn't really looking for my data in a database, but was actually filling out a form type question (that was weird). After taking down every detail including my Tesla Insurance policy# (which is a LONG number and they want it full from first letter), he connects me to Tesla Roadside Assistance - yes, back to the same people that I talked to first. Now we are at 20+mins in, family sitting in the car next to freeway (a bit concerning). It was 104 (yes, bay area had a heatwave) outside, but AC in car was a savior.
* So now, Tesla Roadside department guessed that they can bill me, and I can claim it with Tesla Insurance - perhaps that is how it works (she didn't know), and I somehow didn't clarify with the Tesla Insurance agent whether that was the right approach. Anyhow, Tesla Roadside assistance told me that they cannot help me if I am on the freeway/side, as it could be hazardous for them (well, it is for me too and I want to get out of it). they asked me if I can drive slowly to the next exit (that was my only option to get service from Tesla roadside assistance). That was 3/4th mile away, and I drove on the shoulder (right side) slowly at 10-15mph. A cop car stopped me (rightly so) and confirmed that my tire was flat, and they were nice enough to give me protection from behind as I rolled along slowly - concerned that I might be damaging the tire completely and perhaps even my wheel :-(. Finally got into the exit and parked near a shop. By then, they had informed a roadside service van my way (said it would take 1.5hrs). Glad this was in Bay Area and so they could have a Tesla service van. I took an uber ride to a lunch 10mins away (with family). The Tesla service was top notch. They called when they reached the car - told me they would put me on a loaner (wheel+tire) - as they didn't have the same tire model and that I could then return the loaner to any service station when I replaced with a new tire. They put my wheel+tire in the trunk (glad that was empty - we were not on a road trip).
* I returned from that trip and replaced the tire (had to replace the rear set as they couldn't be on uneven wear) - with Costco road hazard insurance (partial refund for the damaged tire), I paid $450 for two Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires for the rear. the punctured tire wall was fully damaged (from the inside the rubber wall had crumbled) - but totally saved the wheel from any damage (not even a scratch). Good job Michelin and good job Tesla on the wheels being strong.
* I then called back Tesla Insurance (who had no record that I needed a roadside assistance for a flat tire) to open a claim (for the cost of the tire replacement due to flat on the freeway). That was 2weeks ago - and they had said an adjuster will call me back (hasn't yet happened).

(1) Tesla Insurance depended on Tesla roadside assistance and they apparently do not help if you are stuck on the freeway? I hope that is not the general case and it was perhaps a mis-informed Tesla roadside assistance person (though she was very friendly and helpful).
(2) The phone call process is very slow - no quick check on computer, no integration with the Tesla mobile app. Once you are out of Tesla warranty and you only have Tesla Insurance, you go away from a very modern and integrated experience to a very archaic (like paper-based) old-school Tesla Insurance service - that is very inexperienced compared to other insurance companies.
(3) I almost feel like I want to keep a AAA roadside assistance membership just for these flat-tire type situations - just something dependable that I am used to.

I know that Tesla will improve the Insurance product over time - and they are treating it like a little startup, but given the service is available in California and California has the largest Tesla fleet, they should fastback the backend integration and claims process improvement quickly. Yes - they got the money - and they are spending - they just shouldn't leave Tesla Insurance behind. I would want Tesla mobile app to handle all insurance process.

Should we not have a separate forum/folder for Tesla Insurance related discussions?

Thx
PN, San Jose, CA.
Ooof! Sorry for your experience. No fun for sure. Thanks for an EXCELLENT report though. It was much appreciated.

I almost feel like I want to keep a AAA roadside assistance membership just for these flat-tire type situations - just something dependable that I am used to.

After having a prior poor experience with an insurance based roadside, we always maintain AAA. They will also tow me 250 miles since I have the top level membership. They are probably more reliable than Tesla roadside on a trip.

Thank you for sharing your experience. It was an eye opener. I looked into Tesla Insurance but the quote ended up $12 more than my current Farmers policy.

For now I carry a Modern Spare in the trunk and will switch to runflats the next time I need tires. I know rumflats have a poor reputation but the newer designs appear to be less of a compromise between noise and ride quality.

Reactions: Pshattuck
In Florida, you are not allowed to drive on a flat tire. A cop will ticket you and call for a tow truck for you if he catches you driving on a flat tire even like you described.

I also was unaware that car insurance covers you for a flat tire. Tesla Insurance must be different, or is it? What does your policy state?

I had strongly considered Tesla insurance next year if I buy a second Tesla. But now your story has me concerned. Of course I will have to wait for Tesla to get licensed in Florida first. I currently have Allstate for two cars and they charge me a $300 premium more for my car being a Tesla for 6 months. That's pretty bad but they are excellent on claims I have had and I get a rental car covered while mine have been in the shop in the past. All under the $500 deductible.

So if flat tires are covered, the deductible would still apply, right?

Anyway, I have what I consider a better solution- I bought a Modern Spare Kit. I was planning to use it on road trips but my wife insisted I carry it all the time and that made good sense. It rides in my empty trunk and when I need more trunk floor space I fasten it upright.
IMG_1835.jpg
IMG_1838.jpg
IMG_1839.jpg

The insurance includes roadside assistance.

I understand that part. I'm talking about this part:

I then called back Tesla Insurance (who had no record that I needed a roadside assistance for a flat tire) to open a claim (for the cost of the tire replacement due to flat on the freeway). That was 2weeks ago - and they had said an adjuster will call me back (hasn't yet happened).

Surely you can use the roadside assistance coverage without opening a claim.

Just offering that it wouldn't have crossed my mind in a hundred years to open a claim for a flat tire. No possible way it's worth the headache and inevitable premium increase. Of course, I generally carry $1,000 deductibles on the premise that I prefer to self-insure for stuff like this.

Reactions: Jeff Hudson
You made an insurance claim for a flat tire?

Hmm.
lol - I am confused myself why I needed to file a claim - perhaps to see what to expect next time I need a real claim (hope I never have to). No-one has called me in 2+ weeks after filing the claim though (adjusters are hard to come by I guess). It was no small flat BTW, I had to spend $450 - so yes, a bit of more than a change. I also have a high deductible ($1K) for collision, but comprehensive is $250 deductible for me, and if it is comprehensive, then premium doesn't go up. anyways, I filed to test-drive to see what comes out of it. I want Tesla to succeed, and I believe they scour the forums and review. Hope they do and improve. I am staying with Tesla Insurance. Incase I didn't mention earlier - I am past the warranty on the MS (74K miles)...

Last edited:

Thx
PN, San Jose, CA.
My understanding is Tesla Insurance is actually Liberty Mutual so basically you are just dealing with another insurance company and their archaic ways. I too moved to Tesla Insurance but they don’t have all the bells and whistles of some of the higher end policies you can get from the likes of AIG or Chubb.

• Informative
Reactions: phaduman
I looked at switching to Tesla Insurance, but it wasn't any cheaper than Geico for us. Geico has an app where you can get roadside assistance very easily and it is all seamless and fast. I don't trust Tesla with anything that requires customer service. Cranking out high quality vehicles with amazing technology is what they do best. Expecting anything else seems foolish given their track record.

Also +1 to carrying a modern spare kit at all times.

When you are out of warranty then yes you no longer have Tesla Roadside Assistance. Most insurance companies come with some type of Roadside Assistance for a low price. I guess it makes sense they use Tesla Roadside. Normally if you have a flat you would call your roadside assistance number not insurance, since it is not an insurance claim. AAA also does not serve some major highways either. For example in NJ they will not toe your car on the parkway or Turnpikes, the two most major roads in the state. They gave some exclusive contract to another company.

lol - I am confused myself why I needed to file a claim - perhaps to see what to expect next time I need a real claim (hope I never have to). No-one has called me in 2+ weeks after filing the claim though (adjusters are hard to come by I guess). It was no small flat BTW, I had to spend $450 - so yes, a bit of more than a change. I also have a high deductible ($1K) for collision, but comprehensive is $250 deductible for me, and if it is comprehensive, then premium doesn't go up. anyways, I filed to test-drive to see what comes out of it. I want Tesla to succeed, and I believe they scour the forums and review. Hope they do and improve. I am staying with Tesla Insurance. Incase I didn't mention earlier - I am past the warranty on the MS (74K miles)...

Insurance won't cover a flat or new tire.

Labor Day weekend - had a flat tire (2 nails - one of them a big screw) going on freeway about 30miles away from home (and heading out). Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ with only 10K miles on them.

* I returned from that trip and replaced the tire (had to replace the rear set as they couldn't be on uneven wear) - with Costco road hazard insurance (partial refund for the damaged tire), I paid $450 for two Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires for the rear.

To OP:

You don't have to replace both tires if they are within 2/32" Tread Depth. If they are not, Tire Rack will shave the new tire to match the other side. Only 35 bucks more and a day or two extra. With the michelin warranty, I saved 250 that way.