Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I hope this means a functioning sunroof will return to the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ventilated seats disappeared again 2 weeks ago, it went with the carbon trim

What?! No more ventilated seats again? I never really cared for the carbon fiber trim and replaced the carbon fiber trim that came with my car with oak trim.

Perhaps this means an interior refresh is around the corner with a new ventilated seat design and hopefully a sunroof design that can be opened!

I will also chime in and say that I will never buy another Tesla unless it has an available sunroof. I would rather have this over autopilot...

Brent

What's really great about the Model S sunroof is that it is so huge. Almost feels like you are in a roadster type vehicle because it is all open sky all above you. Also when you drive somewhere beautiful in good weather it's a great way to let nature in all around you and with how quiet the car is, you can really enjoy the immersive experience.

A glass roof that is sealed and can't be open is just not the same, just like a window that can't be rolled down is vastly different from one that can be opened. I hope the lack of a sunroof is temporary until the interior refresh components are figured out because for us, the panorama roof is one of the best features of the Model S design -- and partly the reason why I prefer a Model S to a Model X.

First 2 Model S's had sunroofs. Paid extra for them and I used them a few times.
Latest one does not......and I miss it not a whit. Seems critical on paper, but not in my driving world.
Wheels, seats , handling, acceleration, suspension and audio are where I get pleasure from a ride.

• Disagree
Reactions: PhilDavid
Tesla needs to have some premium features available on the S/X and not on the 3/Y.

A sunroof for the S and the FWD for the X are features Tesla would likely never offer on the lower priced models.

I've had an S with a sunroof since Jan 2013 - and have never had any problems with them, driving with the roof open when the weather is reasonable and not at highway speeds.

Not everyone wants a sunroof - but for owners paying $75-100K for vehicles, not offering a sunroof could become a problem for Tesla if the other manufacturers include it in their competing EVs.

I doubt this means a sunroof that opens is on the way. The patent sounds like features found on Boeing 787 Dreamliner with electronically adjustable tinting. Very cool. But that would be more complicated to implement with moving parts that require power / LED wiring, etc.

Yeah. If it is anything, it actually mean Tesla will not go back to openable sunroof. With the shading system, you could have maximum sun or no sun. I guess open the side windows if you want to feel the breeze LOL.

All my cars before Tesla got openable moonroof. I have never opened any of them. It will mess up my hair... LOL.

Reactions: boonedocks
I agree that a operating sun roof should be an option on a 6 figure car. For me though, there are other omissions with a higher priority than a sun roof.

First, a option for a "comfort" seat like BMW's (one of the best). Cooling\ventilating of course, adjustable side bolsters, articulating backrest, massage, etc. Next, automatic and soft close doors like the X. I mean why not, they already have the parts.

Center counsel and storage refinements would be next.

I would love to upgrade my 2016 P90DL and with the current announced improvements plus those above, I would pull the trigger!

I too would never buy 100k+ vehicle without a functioning sunroof, I use my Pano roof almost everyday and I refuse to "upgrade" to a vehicle that does NOT have a functioning sunroof. Im sick of full glass roof's that don't open..I mean yeah they look nice but whats the point of having it if it doesn't open.

When driving around town, I think I've cut down my AC use more than half with the open sunroof.On a nice day, so much nicer to have the air come in through the sunroof than climate control or even the windows.

I had a loaner with a sealed glass roof the other day and made me realize how much I value having a sunroof that can be opened. Compared to the feeling of an open sunroof, I felt like I was in a sealed capsule.

IMHO the panorama roof is one of the best features of the Model S design and hopefully the option returns...

Last edited:
Reactions: P85DBeast
I've never been a sunroof fan, but that was because I previously lived where rain was more often than sun. Where I am now, I really like the pano roof because I can leave it open to 15% when parked which dramatically lowers the temperature. 15% just happens to be the amount open that lets no rain in (assumes light rain) and gives a maximum amount of airflow. (Don't drive at 15% though, it whistles.)

Reactions: ICUDoc
2016 TMS 90D with Pano Roof, Pacific North West, May 1st, have had my car 6 weeks and have had the roof open 4 times already! Love the wind in my hair, it's nice big opening, so much bigger than my pervious cars! I have no problem finding a preowned with a Pano roof 90D when I was searching for my car. They were everywhere it was finding the other options I wanted to make it perfect.

Reactions: DCEV and byeLT4
“For me though, there are other omissions with a higher priority than a sun roof.

First, a option for a "comfort" seat like BMW's (one of the best). Cooling\ventilating of course, adjustable side bolsters, articulating backrest, massage, etc. Next, automatic and soft close doors like the X. I mean why not, they already have the parts.

Center counsel and storage refinements would be next.”
Preach my Brother!

• Disagree
Reactions: PhilDavid
CPO cars are those that the owner did not want anymore so I'm not sure that data can be used to support sunroof desirability.

I got the sunroof. What with tree pollen, wildfire soot, ICE / wind / road noise, bugs in the wind screen (?), I don't really get to enjoy it much. Even the function of letting out hot air is surpassed by opening the hatch door (before driving) and the quick work of the HVAC system.

You seem to mistakenly assume all Model S buyers are like you.

There are 286 CPO Model S vehicles for sale at the moment. Out of which, 209 were configured with a sunroof. That's a take-rate of nearly 75%.

https://ev-cpo.com/hunter/

And many of those customers paid over $1,000 for that option so your "bet" about it not selling is neither grounded in fact nor reality.

As for your statement about "most roofs don't open," perhaps true for econo boxes, but it is tough to find a car over $50K without a sunroof that can be opened. It's an option that is virtually taken for granted in the premium car segment, because it is such a popular option, as I've shown above with the CPO stats.

From what I can see, Tesla is desperate for profit at this point and has, and will continue to, remove content and standardize their cars for easier and cheaper manufacturing. They can do this without significant sales impact because there is no serious competition at all.

While Tesla is desperate for profit and striving for easier and cheaper manufacturing, I believe this approach is having a significant negative impact on sales of the S and X. Model S sales were down significantly in April to 825 from 2225 in March. X sales of 1050 in April, down from 2175 in March. One would think that without competition, S and X sales would be at least growing slowly.

As I said up thread, I would love to purchase another new S, but it needs to be compelling with features typically found in six-figure automobiles. Otherwise, unfortunately for Tesla, I am really, really happy with my AP1 P90DL.