Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I hope this means a functioning sunroof will return to the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We also really like our S's sunroof and use it a lot. However, as others have pointed out. Unless and until Tesla has real competition they can de-content their cars to produce them more cheaply and still sell all they can make.

You have a point but at some point it will start affecting sales. We might be tempted to trade in our Model S for a newer one but not if it means the new car lacks a sunroof. I don;t think decontenting the Model S and removing extremely popular options such as the sunroof will ultimately be beneficial for sales.

I hope Tesla isn't moving in a direction to only offer a sealed glass roof with no option for a sunroof that can be opened.

We drove to a park when the weather cleared the other day. No HVAC, windows rolled up, with just the sunroof open. Sublime to be in nature with no sound and just feel the wind over your head!

I also think the Model 3 would be phenomenal with a sunroof.

Elon must be a student of Henry Ford.

"You can have any color that you want as long as it is black".

Whatever they have been doing with taking away options and removing popular features such as the sunroof is not helping based on recent Model S sales figures... The Model S with it's huge roof is almost like a Roadster when the roof is fully open.

Reactions: DCEV
Total deal breaker not being able to get a sunroof. I was about to upgrade my P85D Model S and take advantage of the free ludicrous mode but cancelled as soon as I realized I couldn’t get a sunroof. I checked with Tesla and they told me there was no off book option either. What a crazy decision. Just ridiculous. A vehicle at that price level without a sunroof option?! Can you imagine Mercedes saying one of their top line vehicles could no longer be ordered with a sunroof?

I was recently contacted via email and asked if I liked my car and would I be interested in upgrading.
My response in part.

My current car is working fine.

Based on the following:

No sunroof
No all metal roof
No silver paint
No leather seats
Rumor that big screen will be rotated to horizontal (I wouldn’t be able to reach the right side.)
No 80 ampere charging
No free supercharging

It is unlikely that I will be in the market for a new car in my lifetime.
I have zero interest in FSD. In fact I don’t think FSD will be feasible in my lifetime.

There was no response.

Funny, but having participated in this thread has made me think about my sunroof more, and to realize that I actually use it fairly rarely. Yesterday was an absolutely gorgeous spring day, and I opened it a couple of times while I was on local roads, but found it hard to hear the podcast or music I was listening to. Also, the pollen has been fierce this spring, and my hay fever has been nastier than usual, so the sunroof is a challenge for that. I might re-think my resistance to a car without a sunroof....I will need to continue to self-observe my use of it.

Total deal breaker not being able to get a sunroof. I was about to upgrade my P85D Model S and take advantage of the free ludicrous mode but cancelled as soon as I realized I couldn’t get a sunroof. I checked with Tesla and they told me there was no off book option either. What a crazy decision. Just ridiculous. A vehicle at that price level without a sunroof option?! Can you imagine Mercedes saying one of their top line vehicles could no longer be ordered with a sunroof?
FWIW, my own data point to add: I won't upgrade until a sunroof is available. Except to a Roadster if that ever appears.

Reactions: DCEV and PhilDavid
I would pay EXTRA to NOT have a sunroof. Have had them in every car I have owned (including my S85D) until my last 2 Tesla’s. I never opened any of them. More problems than any benefit I have ever derived. I would not buy a new Tesla is is only came with a sunroof.

Reactions: ucmndd
I would pay EXTRA to NOT have a sunroof. Have had them in every car I have owned (including my S85D) until my last 2 Tesla’s. I never opened any of them. More problems than any benefit I have ever derived. I would not buy a new Tesla is is only came with a sunroof.

I’m with you. Nice that we’re all different or life would be pretty boring. :)

My priority was a car that would last ~300k miles over the course of the 8 year battery/drive unit warranty with as few issues as possible. That immediately nixed the sunroof and air suspension.

Reactions: boonedocks

Relax. The sunroof has always been an available option for those who want it. No one is forcing you to get one.

When it was available, it was an immensely popular option with about 70% of the buyers selecting it and paying for it

Not everyone is like you and in the case of the sunroof, a majority of buyers wanted to pay extra for it as they valued the benefits it provides. In removing such a popular option, it likely is impacting Model S sales from existing customers who have the sunroof and value it enough to want it in their next car.

Relax. The sunroof has always been an available option for those who want it. No one is forcing you to get one.

When it was available, it was an immensely popular option with about 70% of the buyers selecting it and paying for it

Not everyone is like you and in the case of the sunroof, a majority of buyers wanted to pay extra for it as they valued the benefits it provides. In removing such a popular option, it likely is impacting Model S sales from existing customers who have the sunroof and value it enough to want it in their next car.

Yeah- it's weird that they decided to remove it. Maybe they thought it would cut down on warranty costs/issues?

Granted, a sunroof is something I rarely use, but if I'm going to have a glass roof anyway I'd want it to open.

Yeah- it's weird that they decided to remove it. Maybe they thought it would cut down on warranty costs/issues?

Granted, a sunroof is something I rarely use, but if I'm going to have a glass roof anyway I'd want it to open.

You'd think if they have excessive warranty costs, it's because they didn't design it properly, and would instead fix the design? o_O

Panorama sunroofs are "solved" technology two decades old. We've had one in every car we've owned for the last 15 years and it's one of our favorite must have features when buying a car.

The Model S costs about twice as much as Model 3 and for customers who pay a premium for a Model S, I feel like they should be able to pay extra for a sunroof if they want that option.

Last edited:
You'd think if they have excessive warranty costs, it's because they didn't design it properly, and would instead fix the design? o_O

Panorama sunroofs are "solved" technology two decades only. We've had one in every car we've owned for the last 15 years and it's one of our favorite must have features when buying a car.

The Model S costs about twice as much as Model 3 and for customers who pay a premium for a Model S, I feel like they should be able to pay extra for a sunroof if they want that option.

I agree. They basically removed one of the few things that were separating the 2 models feature-wise. And you're right, it is "solved" plus I"m sure they buy their sunroofs from the same suppliers as everyone else. Honestly not sure what possible reason they had for doing it (if they wanted to reduce the number of variations just make the sunroof standard). I can't think of any other car in this price range where an opening sunroof isn't atleast optional.

Reactions: PhilDavid and DCEV

Panorama sunroofs are "solved" technology two decades only. We've had one in every car we've owned for the last 15 years and it's one of our favorite must have features when buying a car.

I agree 100% if Tesla knew the design of the roof was faulty why would they discontinue it and not just tweak the design and put out a free upgrade for the people with the existing design. Not having a Panoramic Sunroof or a Sunroof in general is a deal-breaker for most people my grandparents found a really nice 2019 Cadillac XTS with everything they wanted EXCEPT A sunroof so they didn't buy (even tho the dealership bugged them to death and even offering a "free sunroof installation". When you're paying a HUGE PREMIUM for a vehicle you should be able to customize it down to the nitty-gritty because it's YOU'RE MONEY.

Reactions: DCEV

I’m not worried a bit. I have no doubt it will ever be back much less mandatory. lol lol

I agree 100% if Tesla knew the design of the roof was faulty why would they discontinue it and not just tweak the design and put out a free upgrade for the people with the existing design. Not having a Panoramic Sunroof or a Sunroof in general is a deal-breaker for most people my grandparents found a really nice 2019 Cadillac XTS with everything they wanted EXCEPT A sunroof so they didn't buy (even tho the dealership bugged them to death and even offering a "free sunroof installation". When you're paying a HUGE PREMIUM for a vehicle you should be able to customize it down to the nitty-gritty because it's YOU'RE MONEY.

Cars are emotional purchases and this is the problem of applying binary logic to discontinue a popular feature because it might simplify production or save service costs, without factoring in if the decision will adversely affect sales or discourage customers with sunroofs from wanting to upgrade to a newer model because they would lose the sunroof.

The option to have an open sky above you is a wonderful feeling. Otherwise they would not have made the roof of the new roadster removable. I am sure many Model S buyers also appreciate that same feeling of an open sky above them to enjoy a beautiful day, especially when they are used to this freedom in their existing car.

Reactions: P85DBeast
Cars are emotional purchases and this is the problem of applying binary logic to discontinue a popular feature because it might simplify production or save service costs, without factoring in if the decision will adversely affect sales or discourage customers with sunroofs from wanting to upgrade to a newer model because they would lose the sunroof.

The option to have an open sky above you is a wonderful feeling. Otherwise they would not have made the roof of the new roadster removable. I am sure many Model S buyers also appreciate that same feeling of an open sky above them to enjoy a beautiful day, especially when they are used to this freedom in their existing car.

Another explanation occurred to me as to why they did it. I'm sure Tesla is able to track the usage of every feature in its cars. This approach has become common practice in the software industry. You then use this data to decide on which features to keep and improve on and which to drop. Perfectly rational. I'm sure that the data shows very low usage for sunroof equipped cars (even those of us who like having one probably dont use it that often). They looked at that and thought "aha! Our customers only open their sunroofs <1% of the time. We can save money and install a glass panel instead!". They seem to have forgotten that cars (especially expensive ones) are emotional purchases. We buy things we don't "need" all the time. I mean look at the US pickup market-- I bet pickup buyers average a similarly low usage rates for their beds. Even the very premise of the Model S (A long range EV), falls into that same category. Most of the time you dont need the extra range.