Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I hope to make $10-30K per year for my Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was hoping he would at least start out and have real Tesla owners driving folks around.... kind of get the ball rolling , provide commercial insurance for a cut of the fare and get the buzz going. I’m sure folks would ditch the crappy unknown many complain about they get on Uber and opt for the Tesla network if comparable.

I use my car at times on U/L and have done about $5k in revenue. No signs or wear or tear . If not used during late drunk hours your car is pretty safe. I still use my older vehicle as my main rideshare vehicle but will use the Tesla as a change of pace.

Those of you looking at it from “why would I share my Tesla?” point of view are missing the big picture.

Nobody cares if you won’t share yours. It doesn’t even matter if hardly any Tesla owners want to share. Because Tesla themselves will put cars on the road wherever needed to meet demand.

So if you want to own a car, buy one and share it for some extra cash or don’t share it. But we’re moving towards a future where car ownership may be less of a thing. Hard for those of us older than 30 to swallow perhaps. Significantly more palatable for the currently under-25 crowd.

1. Unlimited Car washing cost is $500 per year locally.
2. Charging from Solar and Powerwalls gives the fixed cost low, OR maybe Tesla charges and part of the 30% cut of the rate.
3. Since it will be my used Tesla Model 3, I am not worried about my personal space regarding the car as a rental.
4. The Insurance will cover the crazy stuff.

In general:

Some people own a home and some people rent a home. Some people own many home and rent them out to make money from the rental.
Here's what will happen if Tesla actually starts selling a $35,000 car that can earn back its own price in just 1 or 2 years without any work: millions of people buy them, there will be an oversupply of Robotaxis, the rates hit rock-bottom, and you'll be stuck with the operating cost of the vehicle. ;)

Why wouldn't Tesla just release their own fleet of vehicles which they can make money from? Seems odd to me to have personal cars in the fleet which is taking away from their profits. Also being a longer term Tesla owner my views towards a fully autonomous Tesla is that they are many years away still. EAP on my X and 3 is still glitchy with phantom brakes and random deceleration when merging and a slew of other things. When I bought my cars and experienced autopilot for the first time is was mind blowing to me, but after owning and using the cars I believe they are just not close to their goals yet. I would not recommend anyone to buy their car with the hopes of this happening as a primary driving force to do so at this time.

Reactions: GeoX750
1. Unlimited Car washing cost is $500 per year locally.
2. Charging from Solar and Powerwalls gives the fixed cost low, OR maybe Tesla charges and part of the 30% cut of the rate.
3. Since it will be my used Tesla Model 3, I am not worried about my personal space regarding the car as a rental.
4. The Insurance will cover the crazy stuff.

In general:

Some people own a home and some people rent a home. Some people own many home and rent them out to make money from the rental.
Until your insurance rates go up or cancelled. Tires, drivetrain...commercial use is a different animal. And as more people start “living the dream” the profit will decrease. Whatever service you’re acquiring clients through will want a cut. While it might earn a little money I’m skeptical. Uber and Lyft are unprofitable and the FT drivers have to work for two services to make ends meat. I haven’t talked to one yet who says they’re making money hand over fist. A few retirees or students do okay with the flexibility and just need a little extra to supplement other income.

I'm not sure about letting any strangers without me being there into my car for now since my car is still relatively new, but who knows about 2-3 years later if the financial offsets becomes feasible? (earn some money for me to pay off my new car in the future?)

On the plus side, if my model 3 able to pickup/dropoff my kids off from school/daycare, able to pick up grocery from supermarket, or even pick my wife off from airport in a midnight arrival that would be super awesome already.

AKA somewhere to park the car. Thus the rather large barrier to owning a car. Then there are even more dense places than the Bay.

Sure, but I'm just saying that the reason it's feasible to rent homes as an income stream is because home ownership is difficult. Sure, there'd still be renters if it was as easy to buy a home as it is to buy a car, but not nearly as many. If there's an indication that there's good money to be made doing this, so many people will jump in that competition will force the rates to drop.

Sure, but I'm just saying that the reason it's feasible to rent homes as an income stream is because home ownership is difficult. Sure, there'd still be renters if it was as easy to buy a home as it is to buy a car, but not nearly as many. If there's an indication that there's good money to be made doing this, so many people will jump in that competition will force the rates to drop.

There are a hell of a lot of Uber/Lyft drivers it seems, not sure about "good money" but it's easy or convenient money for some people. Why wouldn't every single one of them opt for a Tesla?