Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I just totalled my Tesla!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BlackVue DR650GW Dash Cam just arrived today. Need to get it installed ASAP after hearing this story.

Lanny

Is this the best dash cam? I need one ASAP

- - - Updated - - -

What kind of car was the other person driving and what was the condition of her passenger? It seems her car protected her pretty well from such an impact.

She was driving Infinity Q35 but an older model. He car was completely totaled.

- - - Updated - - -

She was driving Infinity Q35 but an older model. He car was completely totaled.

What I was really wondering about was the condition of her passenger since you impacted the passenger side door with a force such that you feel your Tesla saved your life. I'm glad you're ok and that your car will be replaced, but frankly I'm a little disturbed that no one (unless I missed it) here has even inquired about the condition of the innocent passenger in the other car. Tesla's can, and will, be replaced.

Last edited:
What I was really wondering about was the condition of her passenger since you impacted the passenger side door with a force such that you feel your Tesla saved your life. I'm glad you're ok and that your car will be replaced, but frankly I'm a little disturbed that no one (unless I missed it) here has even inquired about the condition of the innocent passenger in the other car. Tesla's can, and will, be replaced.

They were fine and all the airbags deployed in their car including the side door airbags. They were taken to the hospital for precaution. However, they were well enough to yell at me in front of the cops that I ran a red light. I couldn't believe it even at their state, they were blaming me. Definitely get the dash cam.

What about the Autopilot camera? Could it (theoretically) to double duty?

Seems like a no brainer to me. Even if it's just for black box situations like this.

Agree with MichFin that it would be easy to do. The fact that majority of auto makers are not installing dash cams as a standard tells me that there may be some obstacles we may not be aware of. Maybe some legal implications regarding privacy, but that does not make much sense to me.

Not having standard dash cams is simply missed marketing opportunity as they appeal to a wide segment of the market. My main reason for getting dash cam is safety. Proving liability in accidents is secondary.

Visible cameras deter all sorts of undesirable behaviour in relation to my car and spare me the burden of having to deal with such undesirable behaviour and its consequences.

It could also be missed business opportunity. I consider myself price insensitive when it comes to safety features like dash cam and I believe that many other people are less price sensitive when it comes to safety features.

It is highly likely that Tesla could do a built in dash cam cheaper than either Blackvue or Thinkware as they already have bits and pieces of it in the car, it is just a matter of putting it all together and perhaps optioning it, or making it a standard and bundling it into a car price.

IMO, the Thinkware F750 is superior, but either is better than none.

Thinkware F750 Dash Cam

Thanks for link bollar, I checked your linked review of Thinkware.

All seems good with Thinkware apart from couple of issues:

- Front camera seems too bulky and large (Blackvue looks much neater)

App is new and not feature complete -- the biggest "miss" from my perspective is that although you can view and download videos onto your smartphone, you can't do anything with them after that (like save to Photos or email to someone).

The second issue that you mention, inability to email videos - I consider that to be a deal breaker.

It's been my experience that people stop arguing, dragging their feet and they pay up after they see the video.

If the videos can't be emailed, that means that the video might have to be played from your device, ie in your presence, to the other party. It might be more palatable and more effective to have them review the video on their own, without anyone else present.

Last edited:
All seems good with Thinkware apart from couple of issues:

- Front camera seems too bulky and large (Blackvue looks much neater)

- The second issue that you mention, inability to email videos - I consider that to be a deal breaker.

IMO, it's not as large as it seems -- but I can't tell as I placed it behind the mirror and I can't see it all.

I do wish they would add the ability to email a video. For now, you have to take the SD card and put it in a computer. All of the videos are in a standard format and can be copied / emailed from there. They also have a viewer program, so you can see speed and a map overlay.

As someone who has had a dashcam come in handy twice, it would be the first thing I add when getting a new car.

Dashcam was nice to have when a teen ran a stop at 70mph and totaled my car. Od thread here. Tesla Testimonial here
Came in handy again when another teen hit my car while it was parked two weeks ago. Still waiting for resolution from this one Her father said he'd make me whole. Link here.

When my first Model S was totaled the insurance company let me buy the salvage for 1/4 the price of the settlement. I sold it to an enthusiast in Tx who fixed it and it's still on the road today. If your battery pack is undamaged, you might consider this.

Last edited:
The fact that majority of auto makers are not installing dash cams as a standard tells me that there may be some obstacles we may not be aware of. Maybe some legal implications regarding privacy, but that does not make much sense to me.

Since the dash cam content could be subject to subpoena, it would seem to be a double-edged sword, if you are behaving badly (speeding, DUI, hit and run, etc) in your car. I have read about lawsuits filed over blackbox data in cars and this would seem similar. I would guess manufacturers don't want to deal with the legal hassle. Along those same lines, I wonder if anyone has approached Tesla about gaining access to someone else's telemetry data?

I have the blackvue and it works well enough. They recently released a cloud offering that will upload video for remote viewing. The catch of course is you need to leave a hotspot type device in the car for it to work.

I have Blackvue dash cam with front and rear cameras and I love it. Only disadvantage of dash cams are that it is useful for frontal and rear impact but does not record anything on the sides.

For instance a deer T boned my car and dash cam showed nothing on the videos.

..... going on two years trying to get paid by the insurance company of a girl that T boned my wife then said my wife hit her (some may remember the auction to sell my wife's damaged car). My wife was driving along a through street and the girl was pulling out of a shopping center parking lot onto the through street. The cop did not believe her and wrote her a ticket. The girl fought the ticket up until it was time to tell her story to a judge when her attorney advised her to change to no contest.

I knew the girl was lying.
The cop knew it.
The judge would have nailed her had she told the story.

Most of all, her insurance company knows she is lying yet they continue to fight it in litigation.

I agree, anyone who lies about liability in an accident should have a criminal consequence for the lying on top of the infraction. The question becomes, how do you do that when the lier pleads no contest? In this case, she was adjudicated quilty of failing to yield at a stop sign causing an accident. There was no penalty for the lying, all she paid for was the infraction and court costs while all along her insurance company refuses to accept liability. Funny system. Glad I have stamina when it comes to these matters.

And this is why I will be putting in a 4-way directional dash cam into my car. People will lie through their ever living teeth that you caused the accident no matter what. A quick video from your dash cam played on your cell phone would shut these morons up pronto.

I agree, anyone who lies about liability in an accident should have a criminal consequence for the lying on top of the infraction. The question becomes, how do you do that when the lier pleads no contest? In this case, she was adjudicated quilty of failing to yield at a stop sign causing an accident. There was no penalty for the lying, all she paid for was the infraction and court costs while all along her insurance company refuses to accept liability. Funny system. Glad I have stamina when it comes to these matters.

So sorry to hear that you are going through this but I am with you on the criminal consequence for liars

- - - Updated - - -

And this is why I will be putting in a 4-way directional dash cam into my car. People will lie through their ever living teeth that you caused the accident no matter what. A quick video from your dash cam played on your cell phone would shut these morons up pronto.

Post some picture if you would please after the installation..Have been thinking about the 4 way directional dash

It appears she was well advised by an attorney. If I understand the law correctly, no contest is not an admission of fault. That means the tort case for damages has to prove fault rather rely on the fault determined in the criminal (traffic infraction) case. That may be an explanation for the delay in insurance resolution.