Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I live in S. Florida, about zero percent chance to drive in snow, rwd right?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
im wanting leather, auto pilot and probably updated battery or possibly performance but by Elon's tweets it seems awd will have priority. I drive around 15 miles a day at most, speed of charge won't be a concern to me. It may not be an option like on the S 90d and p90d as the current upgraded options from the 70 , but any other reason to want awd that I have not thought about?

I also live in Florida, but for my Model S I opted for AWD, because:
1) I have had 3 or 4 sports cars that had AWD, and I loved it. I like how a car handles when all 4 wheels are pulling for you.
2) I have a real aversion to wheel spin, or the traction control killing power, when I pull out fast in the rain. I think my heart skips a beat or 2 everytime I go to pull out in the rain with incoming cars heading right at me, and the tires start spinning, the traction control kicks in, and I'm going nowhere. This NEVER happens in my 70D. I have deliberately launched it in every kind of weather, and it just GOES!
All that being said, I was planning on just getting a base RWD Model 3, but Elon's Tweets recently about the AWD option being <$5000 are making me reconsider.

I also live in Florida, but for my Model S I opted for AWD, because:
1) I have had 3 or 4 sports cars that had AWD, and I loved it. I like how a car handles when all 4 wheels are pulling for you.
2) I have a real aversion to wheel spin, or the traction control killing power, when I pull out fast in the rain. I think my heart skips a beat or 2 everytime I go to pull out in the rain with incoming cars heading right at me, and the tires start spinning, the traction control kicks in, and I'm going nowhere. This NEVER happens in my 70D. I have deliberately launched it in every kind of weather, and it just GOES!
All that being said, I was planning on just getting a base RWD Model 3, but Elon's Tweets recently about the AWD option being <$5000 are making me reconsider.

Isnt that more of a sign of the tires than rwd/awd? I had an m3 living in miami with Michelin super sports and id Never lose traction. I guess its all an assumption until configurations and pricing comes out but I feel like id rather save the money or apply it to something else. I can't see myself getting awd to get the car sooner. Id rather pick up in Cali. And this is coming from someone that sold their car and is carless until the Model 3 comes out

Any other reason to want awd that I have not thought about?

Considering the weight of the car, and the one gear transmission,
and also the reliability issues that Model S users encountered,
I would certainly opt for the AWD.

I think that I read that the AWD provides a kind of two gear system,
with more torque on the rear for better acceleration, and more power
sent to the front, using a longer gear ratio, when cruising on a free way.

If you are not short of $5k and plan to keep your Tesla for a longer time,
and also be less worrisome about reliability and looking for a better resale value,
I would personalty choose the AWD, even while I am living in California.

If you aren't familiar with the instant torque an electric motor provides, you might be surprised how easy it is to break the rear tires loose in wet conditions. I've driven a Model S 85 loaner and found myself losing traction in places it was never an issue in my 85D. AWD isn't just for cold weather climates. Whether or not it's necessary for you is going to be up to your particular priorities.

The smaller motors used in the D models are slightly more efficient, thus they get a slightly better range out of the same battery as a RWD. The difference is very small, though. I have driven in snow with my RWD Model S and it's traction control works so well! If you never drive in snow it really makes no difference whatsoever. Dry road or rain, RWD is totally fine. The front motor does make the front trunk a lot smaller. I use my front trunk a lot and would hate to have it compromised for a front motor that I never use.

I have no doubt that having all wheel drive provides a better torque distribution and forces are evened out across the car. But the difference it makes in every day driving is irrelevant. If I bought today I would still get a RWD again.

If you aren't familiar with the instant torque an electric motor provides, you might be surprised how easy it is to break the rear tires loose in wet conditions. I've driven a Model S 85 loaner and found myself losing traction in places it was never an issue in my 85D. AWD isn't just for cold weather climates. Whether or not it's necessary for you is going to be up to your particular priorities.

Considering the weight of the car, and the one gear transmission,
and also the reliability issues that Model S users encountered,
I would certainly opt for the AWD.

I think that I read that the AWD provides a kind of two gear system,
with more torque on the rear for better acceleration, and more power
sent to the front, using a longer gear ratio, when cruising on a free way.

If you are not short of $5k and plan to keep your Tesla for a longer time,
and also be less worrisome about reliability and looking for a better resale value,
I would personalty choose the AWD, even while I am living in California.

Great write up. I plan on doing a 36/10 lease of the Model 3, so being a lease keeping costs low especially on options is a smarter decision (less rent charge) there are some definite things I want. I envision any upgraded battery option to potentially come in a D variant as they are doing now with the Model S but given the option, I will probably opt for RWD

I came here to say what most people have said already. For wet roads (rain or snow), AWD helps. If I lived in Fla I would probably get only RWD since the Tesla probably would have the best 2-wheel traction control available. But there is nothing like AWD when roads aren't dry. I also feel a difference when I'm driving spiritedly through curvy dry roads. But the money wouldn't be worth it to me, were I a Fla resident.
I don't necessarily agree that AWD cars will have priority over RWD cars. I think heavily-optioned cars will have priority over base-model cars. But isn't it better to order exactly what you want and wait a little longer?

I think I may be slightly confused about the differences between RWD and AWD for Teslas. Doesn't going to AWD on a Model S add a significant amount of performance (torque, HP, etc.) by going to dual-motors? I could have sworn I've seen people posting the specs of the single RWD motor vs. the dual-motor AWD. I live in Florida too, and I was thinking about AWD strictly for the performance (plus potentially getting my car sooner). But that was thinking there was a significant difference between the two...

South Florida drivers + I-95. Yeah, I'm thinking AWD but I was planning a highly optioned Model 3 anyway.

I was just back down there for a wedding. I swear everytime I go back home to Miami I lose a little more of my mind. The latest thing I saw driving back up to Orlando was the express lanes being "closed". Yet, while we were stuck in the slower traffic, people were jumping through the plastic rod barriers into the "closed" express lanes and speeding through unimpeded with absolutely no consequence. Not a cop or anything in site. Gotta love Miami!

Reactions: LilWanFu
... But isn't it better to order exactly what you want and wait a little longer?

The answer to that question will for many be heavily tied into production rates, how the queue system works vs the quickly evaporating $7500 tax rebate... Luckily, at least according to my local Tesla store, you will KNOW at the time you pick options/sign the sales agreement what rebate if any is still in effect... But if de-selecting AWD for less than 5k increases delivery time by months, it might save you 2500 to select it.. I suppose we will all see!