Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I live in S. Florida, about zero percent chance to drive in snow, rwd right?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only two factors for me are frunk size and option cost. Living in coastal SoCal, I have absolutely zero "need" for AWD, but if it's the difference between 0-60 in 5.5 and 4.2, if I can swing the payments, for sure I'm going to go with AWD. What can I say, I'm a sucker for acceleration! :D

I doubt there will be that much difference.

The difference between the 70D and 70 is only a couple of tenths of second. (5.2 and 5.5). I expect it will be more like 5.8 and 5.5, on the base Model 3.

Another big benefit is regenerative braking on all four corners. In a Tesla, you will rarely use the mechanical brake pads up front, most of your slowing will be via regen. I know in our i3, which is RWD only, the regen braking can cause the aft end to get a little squirrelly under slick conditions, would much prefer to have front braking that kicks in as well!

IIRC the two motors have their peak efficiency curves out of sync.

Tesla then shunts more power to which ever motor is in the better part of it's efficiency curve.

So the system as a whole spends more time at a higher efficiency, than a single motor can.
It's kind of like having the rear motor permanently in first hear, and the front motor fixed to second. The rear will provide most of the grunt off the line, but the front is better tuned for constant high speed running. The computer distributes power based on which is most efficient for the conditions. Thus, higher range, with more power available, best of both worlds! For only a ~$3k upcharge!

seems like splitting hairs tbh, the people that have awd defending getting awd and those with rwd doing the same. It does seem marginal when it is all said and done, and looks to be a matter of preference.

Even in Snow country AWD is not required. You would be fine without it.

OTOH, this is the best AWD system you can buy (IMO), and there is pretty much no downside to having it, other than the initial price increase.

So it is both: unnecessary and really quite great.

You really can't go wrong. If you want to economize, get the RWD, if a few grand more doesn't matter get the AWD.

There is no wrong choice here.

Reactions: Richg
We line in the SF Bay Area (NoCA) and do not drive in snow/ice (...voluntarily). I really like to drive my wife's S70D over my S85, as the performance is better, the handling is better, and the overall range/efficiency is better. I would replace my RWD with a Dual Drive AWD in a minute. YMMV.

We line in the SF Bay Area (NoCA) and do not drive in snow/ice (...voluntarily). I really like to drive my wife's S70D over my S85, as the performance is better, the handling is better, and the overall range/efficiency is better. I would replace my RWD with a Dual Drive AWD in a minute. YMMV.
your statement of driving your wifes 70d over your 85 was a shocker being that you own both. Can you expand on that please? From all the statements yours has me really considering, although ive been to sf and miami is as flat as it gets. Sf is very hilly. Would you feel the same on flat roads?

My car lives in Miami and is a P85D.
There are three reasons for AWD in sub-tropical South Florida, in my opinion:
1) in heavy rain Tesla AWD is much more stable than is RWD. I have driven both under these conditions. Thus would make me buy it alone.
2) in AWD one motor coast in steady state driving. Thus you can actually get higher efficiency from AWD even with a P. I've made long trips with mine at <250 whmi
3) then there is the acceleration and handling stability. Tesla AWD is far better than any other AWD I've tried.

Reactions: Infoe
your statement of driving your wifes 70d over your 85 was a shocker being that you own both. Can you expand on that please? From all the statements yours has me really considering, although ive been to sf and miami is as flat as it gets. Sf is very hilly. Would you feel the same on flat roads?

Lots of stuff to consider. We don't live in SF proper anymore, but the 'burbs. More flat, more highway driving. Very little 'spirited' driving on windy 2 lane country roads. All S with the very low center of gravity stick to the road with very little body lean or roll. Handling for a heavy car is really pretty great. All go plenty fast. My 'old' S85 is 0-60 in about 5.5/5.6. My wife's S70D (smaller pack) is 0-60 in about 5.1 or so. Confused? The dual drive is a real game changer. Instead of my single rear motor with a fixed single gear, the S70D has a good sized rear motor geared low, and a smaller front motor geared high. At launch from stop, as weight is shifted to the rear, the rear motor gets more juice and gives more torque (geared lower). The front motor however definitely pulls from a stop, and with AWD and the spectacularly efficient and precise electronic traction control and electric drive train, there is no wheel slip (on dry or wet pavement) and thus better performance. And at highway speed, most of the power to keep moving through the air and tire resistance comes from the front motor and gear train which is geared higher, and is thus more efficient. Her S70D has better 'mileage' than my RWD S85, and kW per kW, better range. Do I/we need dual drive/AWD? Not really. Does it perform better--for sure. Ask Audi with the Quattro and Porsche with the 911 AWD. On the flip side, is a RWD S bad in the snow? Absolutely not. Ask the many Norwegians who own one (the country with the 2nd highest number of S sales is Norway). They all rave about the snow and ice performance (the RWD traction control is also the best in the industry). There are only 2 things I dislike about the Dual Drive S--more $$ (no biggie) and the smaller front trunk ('frunk'). Neither is a deal killer. You will not be disappointed in a RWD S. I love my S85 and enjoy every day I get to drive it. Safest car on the road. No regrets.

I had always just assumed that I'd get the AWD ...being that I've waited so long to get into a Tesla...being that I live in the Northeast....

Then my lovely wife reminded me that over the 12years she has known me I've only ever driven RWD cars....with 1 exception being 1 FWD car and that was a commuter (Kia, rio)...which was to save miles on my '06 M3 (miss that car). I was sort of shocked by this until I realized she was right ....I'm currently in a '14 mustang.

So here I am thinking of saving $ on the AWD to use it on bigger battery and performance (not ludicrous, since I think that requires AWD?) or other options? After reading some of these posts ....I may need to rethink not getting the AWD as I do want (need) performance. Interesting to think about... While waiting.

I had always just assumed that I'd get the AWD ...being that I've waited so long to get into a Tesla...being that I live in the Northeast....

Then my lovely wife reminded me that over the 12years she has known me I've only ever driven RWD cars....with 1 exception being 1 FWD car and that was a commuter (Kia, rio)...which was to save miles on my '06 M3 (miss that car). I was sort of shocked by this until I realized she was right ....I'm currently in a '14 mustang.

So here I am thinking of saving $ on the AWD to use it on bigger battery and performance (not ludicrous, since I think that requires AWD?) or other options? After reading some of these posts ....I may need to rethink not getting the AWD as I do want (need) performance. Interesting to think about... While waiting.

I agree always in a rwd car as ive been in a bmw since early 2000's based on the thread id like to opt for bigger battery, if its anything like the S configuration of this year upgrading automatically puts you in a D so it will make the decision easier for us :)

Driving RWD cars in PA in Winter, were you using winter tires?

Do the people in Sweden who don't have AWD, have FWD or RWD?
Used to be similar mix of FWD and RWD cars as in America, minus the trucks plus the French cars with are all FWD. So I guess a little more FWD than US. Lately though they have started buying more AWD cars, not because of more snow but because people make a little more money every year. Gotta spend it on something.

So after looking over Model S options, basically if I'm only interested in added "performance", getting a bigger battery makes a much greater impact as far as acceleration and range than going for dual-motors does, right?

Only the 70kw Model S has a RWD option. The larger capacity batteries only come in AWD models. So technically, AWD will offer the same performance increases as a larger battery, assuming we aren't talking about adding the "P" or ludicrous options.

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike
If you're in South Florida and are trying to cross N 56th Avenue and Park Road (in Hollywood) during the drive home--you want as much HP to cross that intersection because people don't like to let you pass. :D

...AWD and whatever speed option I can get...

• Disagree
Reactions: Infoe