Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which car? [should I buy]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a Tesla newbie.
I am thinking of purchasing my first model 3. I live 45 minutes south of Salt Lake City, Utah. While it can snow a lot, roads are well cared for in the winter.
I am trying to pick between the following Model 3's:

1. 2018 RWD Long Range with 66k miles; Regular autopilot (no lane change); free internet for lifetime of car; premium audio; max charge is 298 miles - $42,500

2. 2019 AWD Long Range with 116k miles; full self drive; roof rack; max charge = 276 miles - $43,400

I have research "values" online and, of course, there will be subjective factors influencing value.
Seeking input from those who have personal experience though :)

Thank you!

I value having AWD on my S. Our 3 is RWD, and there are times in wet weather on curves and hills that I am a little worried as to what could happen. Years ago my wifey drove my Toyota MR2 off the road and into a house (broke their gas meter, even) due to the RWD trying to go uphill on a wet road. I feel quite confident that AWD wouldn't have done that and I wish we had AWD on her 3 now, but they weren't giving that option when we bought it.

Reactions: Watts_Up
I am a Tesla newbie.
I am thinking of purchasing my first model 3. I live 45 minutes south of Salt Lake City, Utah. While it can snow a lot, roads are well cared for in the winter.

1. 2018 RWD Long Range with 66k miles; Regular autopilot (no lane change); free internet for lifetime of car; premium audio; max charge is 298 miles - $42,500

2. 2019 AWD Long Range with 116k miles; full self drive; roof rack; max charge = 276 miles - $43,400

I have research "values" online and, of course, there will be subjective factors influencing value.

Thank you!

I would investigate why that 2018 LR vehicle would have "regular autopilot" as that did not exist in the time frame that car was sold. The fact that they are advertising it as having free premium connectivity means that the car was ordered before June of 2018, so is one of the earlier vehicles. That car would have come with hardware 2.5 and no autopilot standard.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up and KenC
The AWD may be the better "value" as it includes FSD and the extra motor for only $1K more than the RWD. But that would assume you value having FSD over not having it and having AWD on the winter roads you have to deal with. The RWD battery has lost about 6%, whereas the AWD is down about 11%. The RWD is almost at half the mileage as the AWD. Both cars are already out of the 4 yr/50K warranty.

Were it me, with the choice between those two cars AND at my location (SF Bay Area), I'd opt for the 2018 LR RWD (which is what I own). You would be saving the Premium Connectivity subscription ($10/mo or $100/yr), assuming what it offers is important to you (real-time traffic display, streaming media) and it has the longer range. If the car has regular autopilot, the previous owner may have paid for TACC (Traffic Aware Cruise Control). That's much more useful (IMO) than the current implementation of FSD (even though I do have FSD).

edit: I may be wrong on TACC being a separately available option. I bought Enhanced Auto Pilot early on and it was included with that package. If you have EAP, then you should also have automatic lane changing. If you are able, check the Software section of the car's menu to see what it has.

Last edited:
In Canada at least my LR AWD model 3 ordered in october 2019 and delivered December 2019 got free premium connectivity somewhere in 2020. It was because the web site was unclear and they gave it to prevent suing I think. They fixed the site soon after. Unsure about usa.

That's a tough one. If you need to go up any substantial slopes in the winter snow, AWD helps a lot. There's only so much RWD + winter tires can do, and a lot of hills can be driven over with AWD + all seasons that's impassable for RWD + winter.

TBH at those prices I'd just get a brand new RWD I think. FSD is pretty pointless, and at 116,000 miles the battery's half finished at least.

Reactions: BigNick and tm1v2
...free internet for lifetime of car...
It is now August, 2022. Please see the reference:

"All used Tesla vehicles purchased after July 20, 2022, will have Standard Connectivity for the remainder of the eight years from the first day your vehicle was delivered as new by Tesla, or the first day it is put into service (for example used as a demonstrator or service vehicle), whichever comes first. As additional features and services become available in the future, you will have the opportunity to upgrade your connectivity plan."

I understood that the free Premium Connectivity was for the life of the car for the original owner. As soon as you buy it after 7/20/2022, you don't get it anymore, and your used car will only have 8 years of Standard Connectivity.

Reactions: GtiMart
That's a tough one. If you need to go up any substantial slopes in the winter snow, AWD helps a lot. There's only so much RWD + winter tires can do, and a lot of hills can be driven over with AWD + all seasons that's impassable for RWD + winter.

TBH at those prices I'd just get a brand new RWD I think. FSD is pretty pointless, and at 116,000 miles the battery's half finished at least.
Thanks for the input! Both prices are pushing my budget and I need long range, so I'd be pushing $50k for a new long range and they aren't even taking orders until 2023, I believe.

• Informative
Reactions: XPsionic
I am a Tesla newbie.

Thank you!
Like others, I'm a little questioning about the AP on the RWD. Definitely check to be sure.

Given that you are in Utah, and if you are a skier, you might want to check your state rules on tire chains, etc. Lots of ski areas require chains on 2wd vehicles, but not on 4wd or awd, if they have snows.

Reactions: tm1v2
Where did you find those two cars? Local used cars, Carmax,....

I would recommend searching for younger cars with lesser mileage.

There are many Model 3 under:

You should also evaluate the total cost of ownership which is mostly:

(Price you paid) - (Price you will sell in, let say, 5 years) - (maintenace cost while not under warranty)

- Some older Model 3 make a noticeable squeaking noise and need to get a new front upper control arm (see video below).

- Also maybe those used cars need new tires and new 12 V battery?

The older the car you will buy and the more mileage the car will have, the lesser value the car will have when you try to sell it.

You have also to take as reference the value of a new Model 3 (SR is $47k and AWD is $63k) which have a 4 years / 50k miles warranty.

About FSD, I like it, but mostly I use it for long trips, like 400 miles or more. So you have to evaluate if this option is really a contributing factor.

Note: Between the

(1) $42.5k - 2018 RWD LR 66k miles, and the​
(2) $43.4k - 2019 AWD LR 116k miles, (If you are not confortable doing some minors repairs yourself, I would avoid getting a car with high mileage)​

unless you really need a longer range and you are going skiing every weekend, I wonder if I would not get

(3) a new 2023 RWD for $47k (minus a possible a $7.5k tax rebate = $39.5k ?) with a 4 years 50k miles waranty​
Also, if you get a credit I believe the rates are better for new cars.​

Last edited:
Both prices are pushing my budget
You need to re-evaluate your vehicle purchase choices. If these used Tesla's are pushing your budget you will have a difficult time financially if one of these vehicles needs an expensive fix. They are both out of general warranty. Look at the new bolt EUV or a new ICE Corolla, Camary, Civic, Accord. Don't financially stretch yourself to make a vehicle purchase.

In my opinion AWD is a Must for snowy winter conditions. With that being said if both of these vehicles are stretching your budget. Find an alternative AWD vehicle that fits nicely into your budget. There are plenty of options and Tesla's are great, but not at the expense of your budget.

Reactions: tm1v2 and XPsionic
I don’t think I’d ever buy used Tesla due to unknowns of previous owner’s charging habits. 100% all the time. Let car go to low SOC. Lots of superchargering. All of these contribute to battery health which is pretty essential and an expensive piece of the car to repair/replace.

If I had snow in my area. I don’t think i’d consider anything, but AWD.

If Tesla isn’t in your budget I would wait until it is. I think a brand new RAV4 AWD Hybrid will serve you well and it had great adaptive cruse and lane keep assist that would do everything that an auto pilot would do on the freeway. All for $30k. FSD is meh for right now and with that mileage I’m assuming you would get rid of the car before it’s fully operational.

I don’t think I’d ever buy used Tesla due to unknowns of previous owner’s charging habits. 100% all the time. Let car go to low SOC. Lots of superchargering. All of these contribute to battery health which is pretty essential and an expensive piece of the car to repair/replace.

If Tesla isn’t in your budget I would wait until it is. I think a brand new RAV4 AWD Hybrid will serve you well and it had great adaptive cruse and lane keep assist that would do everything that an auto pilot would do on the freeway. All for $30k. FSD is meh for right now and with that mileage I’m assuming you would get rid of the car before it’s fully operational.

We have solar panels, and I think the price of fuel would offset the cost difference going with the cheaper Rav4. Am I way off?

Thanks for all of the input! It has been helpful. Still open to more thoughts!
Save up a lil more, that will pay dividends down the road. These cars evolved very quickly making the later cars more desirable due to the improved design and construction. The later the production date generally is better, so save up if you can for the newest dated one you can. Here you can see an example of this evolution in progress.

We have solar panels, and I think the price of fuel would offset the cost difference going with the cheaper Rav4. Am I way off?

"It depends" (on how much solar you have, how much electricity you currently use, the cost of your electricity the cost of gas, etc).

Cars in this class / price range that you are looking at, are absolutely NOT "im purchasing this to save money" cars. People targeting Teslas to "save money" is a bit like targeting a BMW / Audi / Porsche car and saying you are doing it to save money.

Sure, the running costs can be cheaper, etc, but with google saying the average cost per kWh in Utah being 11-12 cents a kWh, the very short answer to "doesnt our solar make up for the price difference in these cars" is "probably not, even if your solar completely covered 100% of the power needed to drive your vehicle, at least not for several years of ownership.