Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I love my model s plaid!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2021 Plaid has been in the shop several times. Normally not an issue with other cars, but with Tesla, each shop visit takes a month to schedule and the car sits outside waiting for parts for weeks. Sometimes they have a loaner, sometimes not. So it’s frustrating. My GPS went out only two weeks after my last shop visit where it was in for 6 weeks. Anyway, they can’t see the car for a month so I drive around with a huge black screen and nothing works that needs location data. I so want to get rid of this car and buy something else.

I looked at everything, and there is NOTHING remotely comparable at the $100-ish price point. I can’t go back to gas, and the rest of the EV market is a decade behind the Plaid with no charging network (until they piggyback Tesla’s). The closest competitor would be the Lucid Saphire for more than twice the price and no charging or service centers within a few hours drive. The Taycan is twice the price and again, no charging network. The Audi is slow and no charging network and twice the price.

So I am going to put up with the service issues and technical glitches my car presents because there is NOTHING out there to replace it. I love my Plaid. There truly is nothing comparable.

My 2021 Plaid has been in the shop several times. Normally not an issue with other cars, but with Tesla, each shop visit takes a month to schedule and the car sits outside waiting for parts for weeks. Sometimes they have a loaner, sometimes not. So it’s frustrating. My GPS went out only two weeks after my last shop visit where it was in for 6 weeks. Anyway, they can’t see the car for a month so I drive around with a huge black screen and nothing works that needs location data. I so want to get rid of this car and buy something else.

I looked at everything, and there is NOTHING remotely comparable at the $100-ish price point. I can’t go back to gas, and the rest of the EV market is a decade behind the Plaid with no charging network (until they piggyback Tesla’s). The closest competitor would be the Lucid Saphire for more than twice the price and no charging or service centers within a few hours drive. The Taycan is twice the price and again, no charging network. The Audi is slow and no charging network and twice the price.

So I am going to put up with the service issues and technical glitches my car presents because there is NOTHING out there to replace it. I love my Plaid. There truly is nothing comparable.

I’ve had issues and vibrations, but love the engine. Love it

Overall, I really like the car. I had a terrible smell from the Hepa but that's now been resolved. Had many high horsepower cars, M5, E63S, Modified 911 turbo, etc. but the speed of the plaid never gets old! Call it a one trick pony, who cares, it puts a huge smile on my face all the time.

I picked up mine new in Oct of 21 and have had very few problems which is why I would be hesitant to sell/trade for a new one. It's very comfortable and I love the storage capacity!

My biggest complaint although minor to some are the headlights...they are just straight garbage for a car of this caliber. Low beams are a joke as the coverage is too low. My brother-in-law's base model Y 21 has significantly better coverage. Service says it's normal and the new matrix lights are not upgradeable (although im not sure how much better those would be).

Not a fan of how telsa introduces new/non-upgradeable features on the fly. I certainly would have held out for the adjustable screen and headlights which came out few months after mine.

Overall, I really like the car. I had a terrible smell from the Hepa but that's now been resolved. Had many high horsepower cars, M5, E63S, Modified 911 turbo, etc. but the speed of the plaid never gets old! Call it a one trick pony, who cares, it puts a huge smile on my face all the time.

I picked up mine new in Oct of 21 and have had very few problems which is why I would be hesitant to sell/trade for a new one. It's very comfortable and I love the storage capacity!

My biggest complaint although minor to some are the headlights...they are just straight garbage for a car of this caliber. Low beams are a joke as the coverage is too low. My brother-in-law's base model Y 21 has significantly better coverage. Service says it's normal and the new matrix lights are not upgradeable (although im not sure how much better those would be).

Not a fan of how telsa introduces new/non-upgradeable features on the fly. I certainly would have held out for the adjustable screen and headlights which came out few months after mine.
Agreed if i knew about the headlights and tail lights as well as the upgraded computer and tilting screen could have waited however i couldn't wait another month after experiencing a total ass whooping in my 1000hp 10 speed camaro i quickly sold it that week and ordered mine 😂

Reactions: MrSlowEv

The headlights on my 2022 MS LR were one of the reasons I sold and bought a Plaid with the updated lights. Our M3 LR was so much better than the S; it was sad.

If you go the track pack brakes, it really changes the Plaid. Not only is repeated high speed braking changed, but the updated tuning when in track mode is noticeable. It isn't remotely a one trick pony anymore.

Reactions: CleanDemon
If you go the track pack brakes, it really changes the Plaid. Not only is repeated high speed braking changed, but the updated tuning when in track mode is noticeable. It isn't remotely a one trick pony anymore.
Agreed track mode is noticeably stiffer with much better handling. Are the track pack brakes you are referring to the ones from tesla or Unplugged?

I went with Tesla's track pack brakes. Too many reasons not to.
  • Raises the top speed limiter to 200 mph (only way to get this is with the Tesla brakes currently)
  • Retune the track mode
  • Top-spec components (Calipers are AP Racing and the rotors are Surface Transforms)
  • Great price for the quality
  • Tesla installs
  • Tight integration into factory components
  • Factory warranty!!!!!
  • They work great!
That should be enough for anyone to buy them.

I agree with you on the service issues. It’s always a wait to get things done and then several times they didn’t fix the issue and I had to come back. The worst experience I have ever had with any car and the most issues I have had with any car. I also don’t love that I paid $130k for a car that is now $90k and that mine doesn’t have the upgraded headlights/tailights and swivel screen but it is what it is.

It’s the biggest POS car I have had from a build quality standpoint but I do still love the car and the power it has. I would say I have a love/hate relationship with it.

I agree with you on the service issues. It’s always a wait to get things done and then several times they didn’t fix the issue and I had to come back. The worst experience I have ever had with any car and the most issues I have had with any car. I also don’t love that I paid $130k for a car that is now $90k and that mine doesn’t have the upgraded headlights/tailights and swivel screen but it is what it is.

It’s the biggest POS car I have had from a build quality standpoint but I do still love the car and the power it has. I would say I have a love/hate relationship with it.

Not trying to rub it in, but I'm close to getting a new one now at the 90k price so I hope you don't mind me asking this...

But, if you could get one now at 90k, would you feel differently?

Not trying to rub it in, but I'm close to getting a new one now at the 90k price so I hope you don't mind me asking this...

But, if you could get one now at 90k, would you feel differently?
If I could get one for $90k I would still get one but I would also still feel like the build quality sucks if the car I bought had the same issues I have had (new interior door panels, new super manifold for a/c, new trunk latch, new door hinge, etc.). Having to not take my car in for maintenance is great but when I’m at the service center to fix various issues for 4+ hours at a time numerous times vs once a year for maintenance, I’ll choose once a year for maintenance for max 2 hours.

Sorry, my time these days are limited and more valuable to me.