Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I love my model s plaid!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This line of commentary is nonsensical. If you want to discuss doing nearly 130mph and slamming brakes, call it that. This is NOT normal driving. I’d really suggest keeping this sort of idiocy on the drag strip or race track.
I love that people buy these types of ridiculous cars and then pretend like they go 65mph on the interstate, "because that's what the sign says".

At least I'm honest.

• Funny
Reactions: WilliamG and jebinc
Sure. That's why I save going "too fast" for complete open, huge stretches of road with no traffic ahead or cross streets that I need to shed huge amounts of speed for before crashing into. I'm not saying CCBs aren't great (they are), but for NORMAL DRIVING they offer ZERO benefit, and actually in the winter need to warm up before they are AS effective as our stock brakes. The limits for NORMAL driving will be TIRE GRIP when braking.
Don't confuse peak operating temps with capability. Just because they are designed to work best at XXX degrees, does not equate to poor performance in comparison to the OEM setup at YYY degrees. It just means it they're not in peak operating range.

And if it was the case, by using that assertion, you've negated your own statement that there's not much of a benefit, because the upper operating temps would be out of peak range for the OEM setup. and viola.

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc and MrSlowEv
Sure. That's why I save going "too fast" for complete open, huge stretches of road with no traffic ahead or cross streets that I need to shed huge amounts of speed for before crashing into. I'm not saying CCBs aren't great (they are), but for NORMAL DRIVING they offer ZERO benefit, and actually in the winter need to warm up before they are AS effective as our stock brakes. The limits for NORMAL driving will be TIRE GRIP when braking.
I’m not sure if you read my comment above but I mentioned having a good tires on the car being necessary as well. I guess that’s one thing we can agree on. There are a few car reviewers on YouTube that have tested out the track brake package, and say the feel the difference in bite when on the brake pedal. So I can either listen to Joe Shmoe sitting behind his keyboard, or to guys who test cars for a living and have driven the plaid with the both OEM brakes and The Track Pack brake kit. No offense. I hope you would do the same.

Your reaction to me having the ability to go 130mph “on the street” (street is a term used in reference to it not being on a race track.) shows that you’ve never actually flat footed the plaid to see the rate of acceleration and how quickly it can get there. You really should look into a short range model 3 or if you’re feeling frisky, a model 3 long range? You don’t know what you’re missing out on 😉.

I love that people buy these types of ridiculous cars and then pretend like they go 65mph on the interstate, "because that's what the sign says".

At least I'm honest.
Nobody here pretends anything. My point is don't do it if you know you need to slow down at a high rate of speed, on the street. Just don't. You put everyone at risk. I'm done here. Enjoy your car.

Reactions: Laddcruzer
Until you've overheated the OEM brakes on the highway one time and find out why an upgrade is a good idea. That's a lot of mass to reign in from 150+ if you need to do an emergency stop.
If you’re doing 150 mph plus on a highway stopping would be your smallest issue. As I said, if your need is to hot lap your car at the race track the race pack is made for you. Otherwise a complete waste of money for street users. They created that kit for specific users, not daily driving.

At least I'm honest.
Buying a rediculus fast car doesn’t extend you the right to drive like an idiot on public roads. Exceeding the speed limit is NOT the same as driving 130 MPH just because you can. You may not care about your life but those around you likely do.

Buying a rediculus fast car doesn’t extend you the right to drive like an idiot on public roads. Exceeding the speed limit is NOT the same as driving 130 MPH just because you can. You may not care about your life but those around you likely do.
If you’re doing 150 mph plus on a highway stopping would be your smallest issue. As I said, if your need is to hot lap your car at the race track the race pack is made for you. Otherwise a complete waste of money for street users. They created that kit for specific users, not daily driving.
In your opinion, the brake kit isn’t designed for use on the street, but the car comes with 1020hp.. Other car manufacturers put these types of brake kits on cars that make less power and weigh less, right off the show room.

As was stated before, there are reputable car magazines and car reviewers that have driven the car before and after that talk about how much more bite the car has after the kit was installed, as well as how much better the cooling is (no longer the brake temp warning). It depends on driving habits. Some people wouldn’t benefit from it. But Who do I listen to, a guy behind his keyboard or people who do this for a living..?

No promises on not driving the car hard. I will simply let off the accelerator earlier and start braking sooner, until I install the brake kit. I will continue to use the power the car came with and enjoy it. If my intention was to not use it, I would have bought the model S long range as you did or another non performance model.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sam1
I can say with absolute assurance that you have driven over the speed limit before. Therefore, your statement is hypocritical.

Why is 130mph the limit? Are you suggesting that it's safer for someone with zero experience to drive 99mph than it is for someone that grew up racing to drive 130mph? That's a big no go for me boss.

I know people that I would trust at 200mph on a public highway, and I also know people I don't trust at 85mph on a public highway.

<edit> and secondly, you're probably making generalizations about the roads you have experience on, and not the roads other people have access to and experience on. No large animals, little traffic, and straight highways with no curves where you can see more than 10 miles down the road in the desert. (not to mention it only takes 1/2 mile to go from 0-180mph in this car, so you don't even need that much space)

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc and MrSlowEv
That’s amazing that this car will hit 180mph without the limiter on it in the half mile.. the last time I went to one of those events, I only hit 160 (with my last car) and I felt that at any moment some thing could let go.. 😂

Last edited:
That 161mph I did was with one of my previous ICE cars. Now, I need to get this one out to a half mile event. It feels like those events are far few in between out here.
They used to be really popular, but with the expansion of the airport we used to use, they're seeing more flights and the events are becoming more rare.

Supposedly there's rumors of restarting the annual top speed runs on the highway they use nearby in Pahrump to set world records. It's been years ago since I was at the last one and they were running over 250. Would be interesting to see some of the new tech running around the 300 mark.

(I'll just be careful not to mention it here since it's on a public highway) 😂😂

• Funny
Reactions: MrSlowEv
In your opinion, the brake kit isn’t designed for use on the street, but the car comes with 1020hp.. Other car manufacturers put these types of brake kits on cars that make less power and weigh less, right off the show room.

As was stated before, there are reputable car magazines and car reviewers that have driven the car before and after that talk about how much more bite the car has after the kit was installed, as well as how much better the cooling is (no longer the brake temp warning). It depends on driving habits. Some people wouldn’t benefit from it. But Who do I listen to, a guy behind his keyboard or people who do this for a living..?

No promises on not driving the car hard. I will simply let off the accelerator earlier and start braking sooner, until I install the brake kit. I will continue to use the power the car came with and enjoy it. If my intention was to not use it, I would have bought the model S long range as you did or another non performance model.
Trying to find where I said the kit was not designed for the street. Oh that’s right I didn’t. I Said the average driver especially with a standard S likely Doesn’t need this race kit. You have fun I will watch for the newspaper headline highlighting your journey around town.

If you’re doing 150 mph plus on a highway stopping would be your smallest issue. As I said, if your need is to HOT LAP AT THE RACE TRACK THE RACE PACK IS MADE FOR YOU. Otherwise a complete waste of money for street users. They created that kit for specific users, not daily driving.
You literally said it right here. No one is dumb enough to make that mistake on purpose. You’re messing with me. Hahaha. Kudos.

Keep waiting on that local newspaper article. Make sure you check.. every. Single. Day. 😄

Trying to find where I said the kit was not designed for the street. Oh that’s right I didn’t. I Said the average driver especially with a standard S likely Doesn’t need this race kit. You have fun I will watch for the newspaper headline highlighting your journey around town.
doesn't matter if you have 5000hp or 500hp. slowing down takes the same amount of effort. this is a basic rule we try to teach people at the track when they think a 600cc motorcycle is much safer than a 1000cc.

Reactions: MrSlowEv
Part of the problem is that Tesla somewhat markets the vehicle as track ready by including a track mode. If you have track mode you should have the hardware to support that.

With that said, i maintain the steel brakes are adequate for street driving and on par with steel brakes on other high performance sedans. But the plaid is heavier and much more powerful, so the operator needs to take that into account.

Part of the problem is that Tesla somewhat markets the vehicle as track ready by including a track mode. If you have track mode you should have the hardware to support that.

With that said, i maintain the steel brakes are adequate for street driving and on par with steel brakes on other high performance sedans. But the plaid is heavier and much more powerful, so the operator needs to take that into account.
Well said.

Last edited:

Steel brakes work perfectly fine, even for most types race cars. The OEM setup is just lacking in high speed braking performance.