Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I love my model s plaid!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Anyone else catch this video from Dragtimes? Dodge’s new dedicated drag car, the Demon 170 vs The Plaid?

This reminds me of the reason why I bought a plaid. They so consistently quick, even on a slow pass. Gotta love our 5 seater EV. These Demon 170’s wouldn’t stand a chance at a stop light on an unprepped surface. Not that anyone would try anything so irresponsible anyway..

interesting that brooks plaid was trapping significantly lower than when he got it. He certainly was above 90% soc so full power. I’m betting its due to his shorter tires and wheels with less offset
More than likely the wider tires on a sticky surface that's nerfing the trap speed. Great for a hole shot, but that's about it on a prepped surface. His 60' looked great.

More than likely the wider tires on a sticky surface that's nerfing the trap speed. Great for a hole shot, but that's about it on a prepped surface. His 60' looked great.
I looked at previous videos to see. Like 8 months ago he said it was a little down on power with millage (20k) and was trapping 147. When he putted the wheels 2 years ago did 151 trap and 1.47 60’ so there is something in there.
I would like to see Tesla Plaid Channel opinion on that.
He has many many hits so it doesn’t seem to be the motors as his car seems consistent.
Could it be Battery charge and discharge behavior ( degradation) ?

I looked at previous videos to see. Like 8 months ago he said it was a little down on power with millage (20k) and was trapping 147. When he putted the wheels 2 years ago did 151 trap and 1.47 60’ so there is something in there.
I would like to see Tesla Plaid Channel opinion on that.
He has many many hits so it doesn’t seem to be the motors as his car seems consistent.
Could it be Battery charge and discharge behavior ( degradation) ?

He is running at Bradenton track where Tesla Plaid Channel runs his car at, and TPC posts videos and timeslips all year long from there, while having more dragstrip runs than any other plaid on the planet. You can watch TPC's timeslips change a little but throughout the year when the track conditions and climate changes.

If you take TPC's timeslips and compare them to Brooks' timeslips, you can see the 60' times are pretty similar, and then the differences start occuring past the 330' mark, where a wider less efficient tire profile would hinder the plaid. The second thing is as you use tires, the silica is worked out of them, and a wide, low profile tire would be more susceptible to the detrimental effects of hard capping (wheels spinning on the top end under full load where the track is less sticky) if they have been run a lot. Whereas tires with larger sidewalls could compensate for that with their pliability.

But all-in-all, Brooks' times are pretty close to what the car should do with OEM 21" tires, they always trap a little slower than the 19" on a decent surface. I see 0.2 slower at the Vegas dragstrip on the 21" versus the 19" on average with my car.

I really don't think he is seeing any wear, or anything beyond something that can easily be attributed to track conditions or his tire setup.

He is running at Bradenton track where Tesla Plaid Channel runs his car at, and TPC posts videos and timeslips all year long from there, while having more dragstrip runs than any other plaid on the planet. You can watch TPC's timeslips change a little but throughout the year when the track conditions and climate changes.

If you take TPC's timeslips and compare them to Brooks' timeslips, you can see the 60' times are pretty similar, and then the differences start occuring past the 330' mark, where a wider less efficient tire profile would hinder the plaid. The second thing is as you use tires, the silica is worked out of them, and a wide, low profile tire would be more susceptible to the detrimental effects of hard capping (wheels spinning on the top end under full load where the track is less sticky) if they have been run a lot. Whereas tires with larger sidewalls could compensate for that with their pliability.

But all-in-all, Brooks' times are pretty close to what the car should do with OEM 21" tires, they always trap a little slower than the 19" on a decent surface. I see 0.2 slower at the Vegas dragstrip on the 21" versus the 19" on average with my car.

I really don't think he is seeing any wear, or anything beyond something that can easily be attributed to track conditions or his tire setup.
I’ve watched tons of TPC’s videos. He even says that performance seems to have not waned over the couple of years of dragging. Which is awesome.

Anyone else catch this video from Dragtimes? Dodge’s new dedicated drag car, the Demon 170 vs The Plaid?

This reminds me of the reason why I bought a plaid. They so consistently quick, even on a slow pass. Gotta love our 5 seater EV. These Demon 170’s wouldn’t stand a chance at a stop light on an unprepped surface. Not that anyone would try anything so irresponsible anyway..
Same races from Demon owner’s point of view.

Reactions: Sam1 and MrSlowEv
Is this a relative comparison given that he gutted the rear passenger compartment at some point in time?
Can you imagine what would happen if the demon 170 with only 1 seat raced a plaid with only 1 seat? ..... its funny to me how about they put a full interior in that 170 and race a plaid full interior? . Either way the plaid would walk it simply based on the trap speed . I trap 152 at my track the demon 170 doesnt come close

Reactions: MrSlowEv
Can you imagine what would happen if the demon 170 with only 1 seat raced a plaid with only 1 seat? ..... its funny to me how about they put a full interior in that 170 and race a plaid full interior? . Either way the plaid would walk it simply based on the trap speed . I trap 152 at my track the demon 170 doesnt come close
There are timeslips showing 1.2x 60' from the Demon 170 on an 8.9x run. That's still over .1 faster than the fastest plaid trapping at 157mph and the plaid is at an 8.7x.

The problem is, that's pretty much as fast as the plaid will ever go until they add more power or change/allow us to modify the power delivery mapping. The demon can easily spend a few grand and put a new pulley, nitrous, and tune to get more top end and blow the plaid away on a prepped surface and good driver.

Plaids are really awesome cars, but they're not purpose built race cars like the demon 170, and we can't modify them other than weight reduction or tires. It's two separate categories of vehicles.

There are timeslips showing 1.2x 60' from the Demon 170 on an 8.9x run. That's still over .1 faster than the fastest plaid trapping at 157mph and the plaid is at an 8.7x.

The problem is, that's pretty much as fast as the plaid will ever go until they add more power or change/allow us to modify the power delivery mapping. The demon can easily spend a few grand and put a new pulley, nitrous,

Plaids are really awesome cars, but they're not purpose built race cars like the demon 170, and we can't modify them other than weight reduction or tires. It's two separate categories of vehicles.

The problem is, that's pretty much as fast as the plaid will ever go until they add more power or change/allow us to modify the power delivery mapping. The demon can easily spend a few grand and put a new pulley, nitrous, and tune to get more top end and blow the plaid away on a prepped surface and good driver.

Absolutely. They’re two different beasts. The ice will give you sensations an EV never will be able to.

Reactions: Sam1

I just watched the video with jay lenno running 9.2 and the tesla professional driver running 9.23 at 152.16 whats interesting is the 1/8 mile trap speed was 121mph @ 5.99 ...so i dont believe its just due to traction to get 121mph rather more power. I saw a laptop next to the driver and some engineers in the car so its possible for a power boost . Jay lenno running the car full weight and he is not small to run 9.2 requires more power. Your thoughts?

I just watched the video with jay lenno in it running 9.2 and teslas professional driver running 9.23 at