Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I make my Model Y a Home on Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As EVs are continuously adopted, it’s only a matter of time before “van life” in EVs becomes the hottest new way of traveling around, living like a hippie, and enjoying “camp mode” every night.

I’m writing this post from my bed in my Model Y, (AKA Journey) from a parking lot in Hilton Head Island, South Carolina.

Indeed, I am living out of my Model Y. For the next 2.5 months, I’ll be traveling across the United States and living out of my Tesla. As far as I know, I’ll be the only person living out of a Tesla in the United States, full time. I want to become an expert at living in EVs, so please, ask questions!

If you’d like to follow along, I’ll be making videos, posts, etc on social media @journey.w.vic

Attachments

• 2C2D3F3D-53AE-4985-84B2-172DBF6CC16D.jpeg
    2C2D3F3D-53AE-4985-84B2-172DBF6CC16D.jpeg
    531.6 KB · Views: 439
  • 6ECB7ADB-9B9A-4A75-A286-9A65278036E4.jpeg
    6ECB7ADB-9B9A-4A75-A286-9A65278036E4.jpeg
    518.3 KB · Views: 327
I'll be very curious how many times you run into issues of "you can't camp in that" even if you are in a sanctioned camp group, especially one that has a 30amp or 50amp outlet. To me that is the best case; you hit a camp group that can charge the car overnight and you get all the comforts of a nice heated/cooled cabin and keeping the bugs out. BUT, I've heard of some camp areas throwing a fit saying you can't "camp in cars" and making people either setup tents or have RVs...

I hope over the next few years that changes

Reactions: journey.w.vic
You’re definitely not the only person full-timing in a Tesla. We have one person in our Superchargers Visited competition who is currently nomadic in a Model S 70D with a stripped and converted interior. I’ve also met several other Tesla-lifers at Superchargers. One of the more memorable folks I’ve encountered is a young man who lives out of his Model X on Long Island. There are also other people who do extended travel out of their Teslas, utilizing YMCAs and 24-hour fitness centers for personal hygiene stops along the way.

Enjoy the trip! I think Tesla camping is very comfortable. I stay in the back of my Model 3 on alternating nights on long trips and really enjoy the flexibility and freedom that it offers.

You’re definitely not the only person full-timing in a Tesla. We have one person in our Superchargers Visited competition who is currently nomadic in a Model S 70D with a stripped and converted interior. I’ve also met several other Tesla-lifers at Superchargers. One of the more memorable folks I’ve encountered is a young man who lives out of his Model X on Long Island. There are also other people who do extended travel out of their Teslas, utilizing YMCAs and 24-hour fitness centers for personal hygiene stops along the way.

Enjoy the trip! I think Tesla camping is very comfortable. I stay in the back of my Model 3 on alternating nights on long trips and really enjoy the flexibility and freedom that it offers.
Where do you typically sleep in your 3? RV parks? Rest areas? Walmart lots?

I think this experiment can work for an individual but where do you plan to shower? What is the plan after 2.5 months? What do you plan to see in your travels?

We have an acquaintance that tried to do the van life with their two kids. They bought a van and tricked it out with solar panels. Once they hit the road they encountered all sorts of trouble and reliability of the solar panels and ended up spending more time in hotels because it was hard for four people to live, study, and work out of a van.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I would probably want a mini trailer at the minimum (numcamp 320 or scamp 13) if I was doing this just to have access to toilet/shower.

View attachment 841626

For this particular lifestyle, a trailer seems like a liability. Significantly lower driving range, less maneuverable in cities, limited/restricted parking options, where to keep it if you don't want to tow it around on a particular day, etc. The added facilities of a shower and toilet are nice, but in my travels, I've had no problem meeting those needs. Between inexpensive 24/7 gym memberships and convenience stores, toilet facilities aren't particularly difficult to find.

If, on the other hand, you wanted to venture off into the wilderness and spend time at camp grounds and on public land, a trailer is probably a good way to go.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
On a different but similar note, I am an RVer, and I happened to see a prototype Winnebago conversion van EV. It was really interesting with a range of about 100 miles. I see these becoming very popular in the next 10 years. only Issue is on cross country trips, it would be very difficult for these larger vehicles to get the range necessary to go from one place to the next.

On a different but similar note, I am an RVer, and I happened to see a prototype Winnebago conversion van EV. It was really interesting with a range of about 100 miles. I see these becoming very popular in the next 10 years. only Issue is on cross country trips, it would be very difficult for these larger vehicles to get the range necessary to go from one place to the next.
Tesla will start delivering Tesla Semi this year, so cross country travel will not be an issue in the future.

Following!! I've done a bunch of longer road trips in my 3 and am planning an extended 3+ week road trip in my Y once it arrives (hopefully next month🤞🏻)

Have you considered getting some kind of tent or shelter as place to hang out in? I bought the Kelty Backroadz shelter (Kelty Backroads Shelter | REI Co-op) since it apparently is much easier for one person to put up/down than some of the other popular SUV-attachable tents. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet obviously, but it's sitting in a pile with the rest of my Y accessories patiently waiting for delivery :D