Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I miss my car.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not all 290K or whatever Model S drivers are all here on TMC. Even if they all were, not all of them are reporting DU replacements when they happen.

From Two Thirds of Early Model S Drivetrains May Fail By 60,000miles from Dec 2015:

Edmunds had their Model S DU replaced 3 times (2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Wrap-Up | Edmunds). 1st was for noise. 2nd was for total failure. 3rd was for noise again.

I haven't watched all of
, but at ~4:40 he mentioned the bearings are shot and the splines are wearing out. I've seen the same two issues mentioned about the gen 2 Rav4 EV DU (supplied by Tesla). You may want to listen to the comments from 0:20 to ~1:08.

Last time I checked this was the Model 3 sub-forum which uses completely different DUs than the S/X.

Last time I checked this was the Model 3 sub-forum which uses completely different DUs than the S/X.

Tesla still has a drive unit failure Problem Even with the model 3. You can’t justbignore their history. He was providing evidence that Tesla has a history of problems. Even if they’ve delivered 50,000 of them, at least three of them have had Drive unit failures within like 6-12 months. Yea 3/50,000 is not significant but I’m sure there have been more and this should not be happening so soon, especially if other electric vehicle makers have figured out how to make drive units that aren’t failing.

Also, does anyone know WHY only Tesla’s drive units fail so regularly?

Engines fail. Transmissions fail. Drive units fail. Tesla obviously keeps track of this and makes revisions. You make it seem like this is some huge wide spread issue. First gen Model S can not be compared to Model 3 drive units. It's literally different technology.

Fair enough, but the im sure the Leaf forums are littered with a lot of reports of premature battery failure/degradation. So while its not the same issue, every car has their thing.
Degradation yes, esp. in hot climates, esp. ones built before 4/2013.

As for premature battery failure, unlike here at TMC, I cannot think of a single instance on MNL or any Leaf FB groups where an entire Leaf pack has been replaced for failure (i.e. fails to propel the car, fails to propel it at highway speeds, fails to charge properly, etc.) There have been a tiny set of folks who've had a bad module. Dealer has been able to open up the pack and replace the bad module.

The # of folks here on TMC who've had packs replaced for whatever reason is too many to count.

Degradation yes, esp. in hot climates, esp. ones built before 4/2013.

As for premature battery failure, unlike here at TMC, I cannot think of a single instance on MNL or any Leaf FB groups where an entire Leaf pack has been replaced for failure (i.e. fails to propel the car, fails to propel it at highway speeds, fails to charge properly, etc.) There have been a tiny set of folks who've had a bad module. Dealer has been able to open up the pack and replace the bad module.

The # of folks here on TMC who've had packs replaced for whatever reason is too many to count.

Just curious, what Tesla(s) have you owned?

Are you still planning on getting one some day? I’ve wanted one since the roadster came out and finally bought a 3 three weeks ago. I just hope I don’t get disappointed by a drive unit!
I'm still open to the 3, for now. I've said it to people I know and I'm pretty sure I've posted publicly about it before that my intent was always to wait 6 months to a year for it to be in real customer's hands to see how the reliability is before putting my $ in. And, even that might be premature.

At the time, I figured that'd mean I'd be waiting a long time. Apparently, not any more. A co-worker configured on a Tuesday, got a call within a day or two telling him he could pick up by Sunday. He was out of town (already planned long ago) and picked up the following Wednesday.

I only want the standard range battery (yes, that means waiting) RWD version and would want to work my way up from there. I strongly prefer NOT to get the glass roof (no choice now) as I'm concerned about numerous reports of cracks. I have some other things that might up being deal breakers.

I'm still open to the 3, for now. I've said it to people I know and I'm pretty sure I've posted publicly about it before that my intent was always to wait 6 months to a year for it to be in real customer's hands to see how the reliability is before putting my $ in. And, even that might be premature.

At the time, I figured that'd mean I'd be waiting a long time. Apparently, not any more. A co-worker configured on a Tuesday, got a call within a day or two telling him he could pick up by Sunday. He was out of town (already planned long ago) and picked up the following Wednesday.

I only want the standard range battery (yes, that means waiting) RWD version and would want to work my way up from there. I strongly prefer NOT to get the glass roof (no choice now) as I'm concerned about numerous reports of cracks. I have some other things that might up being deal breakers.

For sure. Makes sense. I wanted to wait for SR too but I got impatient and wanted the tax credit. I placed a reservation in February of this year and ordered August 7th. I got my car August 25th. So for LR RWD, the wait is very short. AWD and performance seem a bit longer and I would imagine that SR is going to be a 3-6 month wait once they start building them, assuming demand is 2-3x that of the configurations that are available now.

I agree, the glass roof is amazing in concept but I’m fearful that over time it’s going to be an issue. Hopefully not though!

Wow, this thread is absolutely absurd.

Baseless claims of failure rate with zero proof and unwilling to provide any basis for claims except a handful of owners that reported issues.

Talk about pathetic.

Ummm. These people experienced multiple drive unit failures. The video that was posted showed that what 8/10 model S’ that had driven 100,000 plus miles had at least one drive unit failure and there were questions about there being an eventual 100% drive unit failure rate. Should those facts just be completely ignored?

Last edited:
Reactions: cwerdna