Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I need to know about your rattles....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had several of those and still do, so I’ve acquainted myself with some of their sources (mostly bad parts, missing or half-tightened screws and other fasteners).

It may be deeper within the dashboard, but maybe you’re lucky and it’s this piece of fine engineering. If it is, put some thin felt tape on the inside of this cover in the glovebox and that should take care of it:

3960418B-F717-4E4D-981E-60A7E14020E7.jpeg

My car used to make rattle noises, coming from the front area and the driver side was worst than passages side. What I discovered was that the two plastic covers that cover the bonnet hinge were both loose and allowed to move around during any movement. They are clipped loosely into the hinge and relied on the bottom windshield cover to keep them tight. But on mine car the cover was about 2mm short and that allows the hinge covers to move freely. To fix this I put on some shin around and that seems to have fixed the rattle

Attachments

• 707AD3DE-C2FE-4F88-B849-C3C07AC39BDE.jpeg
    707AD3DE-C2FE-4F88-B849-C3C07AC39BDE.jpeg
    279.3 KB · Views: 161
My car used to make rattle noises, coming from the front area and the driver side was worst than passages side. What I discovered was that the two plastic covers that cover the bonnet hinge were both loose and allowed to move around during any movement. They are clipped loosely into the hinge and relied on the bottom windshield cover to keep them tight. But on mine car the cover was about 2mm short and that allows the hinge covers to move freely. To fix this I put on some shin around and that seems to have fixed the rattle

I'm surprised you could hear that inside of the cabin.

You must be talking about this here (I think yours looks way better than mine):

3AB33EDF-C5AB-4BC4-AAA4-B10D0D907E5A.jpeg

... and yes, they rattle like there’s no tomorrow. Thank you for sharing this!

I shall bring it to the service center’s attention ... oh, wait ... :))

Attachments

• BADC4BCC-288C-4B88-B05C-9BF57A4BFEFE.jpeg
    BADC4BCC-288C-4B88-B05C-9BF57A4BFEFE.jpeg
    294.9 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
If nothing else this can be used as a reference point if Tesla gives up on fixing my car and we get to the point where I have to seek a court litigated resolution.

Heheeee, check this out ... and no, I’m not joking:

So, rather then fix my car and after the talk-*sugar*-about the customer-on-the-phone-after-failing-to-mute incident, my local SC figured that I’m too much trouble, so they’ll just buy my car back. Now, when they say buy my car back, they don’t exactly mean BUY it back. They tell me, they expect me to “surrender” my vehicle, sign over the title (car was not financed), and then they will pay me at a later time ... because “we’re not like regular dealerships and that’s our process”. I kid you not, they want me to essentially donate my car to them, on a verbal promise and a form that carries no signature of anyone from Tesla, and they’ll totally pay me later, at an unspecified time. It’s a never ending comedy with this company!

So yes, sue their pants off and then go get yourself a real car, from a company that respects and appreciates your business. Doing that myself shortly.

Last edited:
Heheeee, check this out ... and no, I’m not joking:

So, rather then fix my car and after the talk-*sugar*-about the customer-on-the-phone-after-failing-to-mute incident, my local SC figured that I’m too much trouble, so they’ll buy my car back. Now, when they say buy my car back, they don’t exactly mean BUY it back. They tell me, they expect me to “surrender” my vehicle, sign over the title (car was not financed), and then they will pay me at a later time.

Haha! See, it generally doesn't pay to be "that guy".

I warned you not to take them all out to lunch as if you were their benefactor. That never ends well. Now you are in a pickle.

it wasn't very wise to become "that guy" by telling them you had been recording them covertly (even if it is a one-party consent state). That explains a lot.

I record all calls be default. Had nothing to do with recording Tesla specifically, that was just a byproduct of recording calls. I wasn't out to get anyone. I didn't say anything about it until they wanted me to accept several grand less than the service manager agreed to several times on a phone call the day prior... I tried to reason with him without mentioning the recording at first. My only option was to accept several grand less, or ask if he'd like to listen to himself agree to something different several times the day prior... I guess I am that guy, but the trust is already broken when you try to screw someone out of a few grand...​

Besides what I know now as my rear suspension creaks, I also have a higher pitched actual rattle in my rear driver side door.

Since day one the door would not shut unless I slammed it. After 2,000 miles, it seems that something in or around the latch is loose now. The funny thing is, the panel gaps line up just fine, so I wonder if they prioritized that over the latch fit...

Do these difficult rattle problems ever show up within the 7 day return window? I have a Saturday SR+ delivery scheduled, and obviously nervous to possibly give up my near-perfect 12-year old BMW 328i dream machine for a potential rattle trap Model 3.

Do these difficult rattle problems ever show up within the 7 day return window? I have a Saturday SR+ delivery scheduled, and obviously nervous to possibly give up my near-perfect 12-year old BMW 328i dream machine for a potential rattle trap Model 3.

Laughing out loud! The Model 3 is not a rattle trap, it's a very solid car. If it had a rattle problem it would have been mentioned in one of the many professional reviews that have been published.

We have two Model 3's and they get used on really bumpy roads here in the wilds of Washington State and I've never heard a squeak or rattle on either of them. They drive very solidly, like they are machined from a single piece of aluminum billet.

If you live on perfect, fresh tarmac I agree that rattles are rarely an issue. However my 3 definitely rattled a fair amount on the dirt road I live on where my Leaf does not and it occasionally rattled on less than perfect surfaces.

There are multiple rattle threads on the front page of this forum, judge for yourself whether most people think it rides like a single piece of aluminum.

If you live on perfect, fresh tarmac I agree that rattles are rarely an issue. However my 3 definitely rattled a fair amount on the dirt road I live on where my Leaf does not and it occasionally rattled on less than perfect surfaces.

Oh, if you only know the pounding my Model 3 has taken where I regularly drive it!

There are multiple rattle threads on the front page of this forum, judge for yourself whether most people think it rides like a single piece of aluminum.

It would be a big mistake to "judge for yourself" what most people think by citing a thread on the Internet titled "I need to know about your rattles"!;)

Best advice is to drive some Model 3's or read professional reviews. The vast majority of Model 3's are solid and rattle free, yes, even those driven on the kind of rugged roads I drive every day.

• Funny
Reactions: more863-also
Oh, if you only know the pounding my Model 3 has taken where I regularly drive it!

It would be a big mistake to "judge for yourself" what most people think by citing a thread on the Internet titled "I need to know about your rattles"!;)

Best advice is to drive some Model 3's or read professional reviews. The vast majority of Model 3's are solid and rattle free, yes, even those driven on the kind of rugged roads I drive every day.

Don't try to bully me out of my opinion. I live on a dirt road and my 3 definitely rattled on it. It wasn't terrible but it was there.

Don't try to bully me out of my opinion. I live on a dirt road and my 3 definitely rattled on it. It wasn't terrible but it was there.

:D Not bullying anyone, just saying that a small sample size does not define the entire production. :D

I'm having trouble locating any professional reviews that mention this "rattle" problem you are so certain is endemic to the Model 3.:rolleyes:

:D Not bullying anyone, just saying that a small sample size does not define the entire production. :D

I'm having trouble locating any professional reviews that mention this "rattle" problem you are so certain is endemic to the Model 3.:rolleyes:

Can you link me to a professional review that took the car onto a dirt road? Because that's where it rattles a fair amount, for me.

No need for the condescension and poor reading comprehension. I don't know, nor do I care, what's "endemic" to the 3, only what I experienced. There's really no need to shout down other's opinions, friend, it comes across as defensive.

Can you link me to a professional review that took the car onto a dirt road? Because that's where it rattles a fair amount, for me.

No, professionals generally avoid testing sport sedans on dirt roads. But, in my experience, if a car has rattles, you will hear them on a bumpy paved road just as much if not more so than a dirt road.

Reactions: 0ptions
Thanks all for information and experiences. For sure internet posts will contain the tail end of a distribution of problems. The recent Consumer Reports article points to perhaps real issues of build or design quality across a broad set of Model 3 owners, but yes the OP here probably experienced the tail end of the distribution. Hopefully build quality is improving as the production rate has leveled off. And Tesla hopefully will add some design improvements as their service centers report common recurring issues.