Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I need to know about your rattles....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a rattle somewhere in the front right part of the vehicle. Could be the passenger door, could be the speaker housing in the dash, or something else altogether. I have a service appointment on Monday to check it out. It seems to only occur (or be noticeable when I'm travelling above ~45 MPH. Not real hopeful, based on the feedback I've seen. Other than the rattle, I've been 100% happy with the vehicle otherwise.

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
Which is exactly why dealing with all this has been so infuriating. Textbook example of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Tesla is doing fine because a lot of consumers have lower expectations. If the majority of Model 3 buyers were coming from BMW/Audi/Mercedes it would be a different story but the reality is an awful lot of them are coming from Corolla and Prius.

The frustrating thing is that Tesla have positioned themselves as a "luxury" brand, like Apple or BMW, when in reality they are really building a commodity product that cuts an awful lot of corners.

Tesla is doing fine because a lot of consumers have lower expectations. If the majority of Model 3 buyers were coming from BMW/Audi/Mercedes it would be a different story but the reality is an awful lot of them are coming from Corolla and Prius.

The frustrating thing is that Tesla have positioned themselves as a "luxury" brand, like Apple or BMW, when in reality they are really building a commodity product that cuts an awful lot of corners.

I think this is true for some things. I notice a LOT of people griping about how crappy the auto-wiper function is on Model 3. My past econoboxes never had an auto wiper function, so for me, the auto wipers seem to work just fine. More than fine really.

At the same time, my Honda Civics never required service outside of regular maintenance. The one BMW I owned, a '98 M3, had a lot of issues... stuck windows, messed up LCD displays on the OBC unit, shifter hard to shift from 1st to 2nd, and a myriad of other bizarre issues. It actually kinda soured me on the brand. Sure they can engineer a really fast car, but why all these issues?

So far, the Tesla is doing better than my old M3, but I have had to take it to service for some rattles and a DOA A/C unit. So, not as good as my Civics. But.... since then, no issues, and the car is way more fun.

I have a rattle somewhere in the front right part of the vehicle. Could be the passenger door, could be the speaker housing in the dash, or something else altogether. I have a service appointment on Monday to check it out. It seems to only occur (or be noticeable when I'm travelling above ~45 MPH. Not real hopeful, based on the feedback I've seen. Other than the rattle, I've been 100% happy with the vehicle otherwise.

As a follow up to my post last week, I took my model 3 to the service center to see if they could find a solution for the rattle. I took the car out with a service technician and he heard the rattle. Immediately upon returning, he inspected the right front tire wheel well and found one of the panels in that area was loose/incorrectly positioned. The service technicians installed additional insulation in both front wheel wells and secured the panel more thoroughly. We took the car back out and the rattle was gone! Really pleased with the service I received. This rattle had been in the car since day one, basically. Hope this info might help someone who is experiencing something similar.

Reactions: spindrome
Has anyone dealt with a rattle from the roof crossbar (not sure of the technical term)? I have a metallic sounding noise coming from above and behind my head that periodically happens when driving at almost any speed over bumpy surfaces. I can't reproduce it just by moving the piece itself, so I can't be 100% sure if thats where its coming from. It tends to hit at the same time as the 'typical' rattle from the b-pillar, so I'm wondering if they are somehow related.

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
my 3p+ is in SC and this was one of the issues at 25-40 mph, could not hear it over road noise at highway speeds.. SC road tested and the tech located the rattle in the passenger air vent about 5-10 inches from the passenger side mirror. pressed his finger in the vent, applied pressure and it stopped. He stated they will place felt in the vent against the upper section. I'll report back when I receive the car back in a few days

As a follow up to my post last week, I took my model 3 to the service center to see if they could find a solution for the rattle. I took the car out with a service technician and he heard the rattle. Immediately upon returning, he inspected the right front tire wheel well and found one of the panels in that area was loose/incorrectly positioned. The service technicians installed additional insulation in both front wheel wells and secured the panel more thoroughly. We took the car back out and the rattle was gone! Really pleased with the service I received. This rattle had been in the car since day one, basically. Hope this info might help someone who is experiencing something similar.

I had the exact same rattle and the techs did the same fix for me las week.

there's a random rattle coming from behind the screen "mount" that i've yet to locate.

i've got a squeak/creak happening in the roof liner above the driver's side door that i can mute by pressing on the headliner. i plan on shoving some foam in there somehow.

there's an odd metallic rattle coming from the back somewhere i've yet to try to isolate.

i've been driving with the music off occasionally just to hear all the differences. i came from a rather noisy car and it can be calming on some days, but i'd really like to eliminate or reduce many of these. i also have wind noise at the corners of the windshield and in the windows themselves i doubt i'll ever resolve.

there's a random rattle coming from behind the screen "mount" that i've yet to locate.

i've got a squeak/creak happening in the roof liner above the driver's side door that i can mute by pressing on the headliner. i plan on shoving some foam in there somehow.

there's an odd metallic rattle coming from the back somewhere i've yet to try to isolate.

i've been driving with the music off occasionally just to hear all the differences. i came from a rather noisy car and it can be calming on some days, but i'd really like to eliminate or reduce many of these. i also have wind noise at the corners of the windshield and in the windows themselves i doubt i'll ever resolve.
I also have a slight rattle in the headliner above driver's seat on bumpy roads. Seems to go away if I fold the visor forward. Any tips to open the headliner there and did you have any luck solving yours?

I also have a slight rattle in the headliner above driver's seat on bumpy roads. Seems to go away if I fold the visor forward. Any tips to open the headliner there and did you have any luck solving yours?
haven't got to it yet. i'm going to assume i need to pull the rubber window trim down to access it. i don't plan on dropping the headliner, just creating a gap to shove something in there.

Any recognizes this sound coming from the rear part of my model s?

The tried retorqing the suspension. Seemed to help for about an hour and now it's back...

Btw it's not the child seats. Sound is also there when the seats aren't installed.

Any recognizes this sound coming from the rear part of my model s?

The tried retorqing the suspension. Seemed to help for about an hour and now it's back...

Btw it's not the child seats. Sound is also there when the seats aren't installed.

Actually SEC Hasselt found and fixed the source of the sound!
I've posted what they've done below for other people who have this issue.

"
Concern: Customer: while opening and closing the door, while entering and while driving there
is a peeping noise.
Please perform a test drive

Pay Type: Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty
Corrections: General Diagnosis
Issue caused by loose part in liftgate interior
Interior dismounted, part reattached , working as designed by Tesla
"

Similar issue lmk what they find. Are they charging a diagnosis fee. Are you going to Tempe SC?